PDA

View Full Version : Boone, NC.

10-02-2002, 06:10 PM
Fellow CCB'ers: Ever so often something so extraordinary happens to us that we just have to share our feelings.

I have just planted my feet briefly back into Texas Country. About a week ago, CUE-TECH conducted one of their traveling Pool Schools in Boone, NC. Our student were outstanding to say the least and our Instructor Candidates worked their hind ends off.

Our host was Chris Aldridge at Family Billiards. Never was there a more gracious host with such an elegant Billiard Establishment. The decor, tables, food and regular patrons all solidified the saying, "Good Old Country Hospitality". I actually was sad starting back for home. If any CCB'ers are ever in the area, take my word, STOP and see it for yourself. What a treat! And to top all that, Chris has proven himself to be an excellent BCA Instructor. Chris thank you, see you next year. CCB'ers, thanks for listening....randyg

Doctor_D
10-03-2002, 06:27 AM
Good morning Randy:

I also have had the pleasure of enjoying the Southern hospitality offered up at Country Retreat Family Billiards. Chris and his staff are outstanding people !

/ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif

Dr. D.

Ross
10-04-2002, 09:43 AM
I attended RandyG's "road version" of his pool school in Boone and had a great experience. The instruction was first rate, Chris was a great host (he even cooked pancakes for all of us for breakfast one morning), and Family Billiards is a very nice room. Randy and Leslie Rogers from Cue-Tech were the instructors, and you won't find two guys that are more outgoing, friendly, and knowlegeable teachers of pool than these two. Leslie is a trip himself - you will know what I mean if you ever meet him! There were also four instructor candidates, including Chris, who worked with us students as part of their training. Since there were only five students, we each received a lot of individual attention.

Instruction went from 8 am until 4 pm on Friday, Sat, and Sunday, with a break for lunch. This included individual videotaped analysis (and "grading") of our stroke on all three days. The course emphasized building solid fundamentals, and began by getting us to develop consistency in our pre-shot routines, including approach, stance, eye-movements, and warm-up strokes. The stroke itself was taught as a set-pause-finish-freeze sequence (think Allison), with an emphasis on using the finish position as a diagnostic tool when things don't go quite as planned. Later we worked on cue-ball control topics such as speed control, english, etc. Randy also covered some specialty strokes, such as drawing the cueball with a level cue when you are a half-inch from the ob!

I have not had the practice time yet to burn the fundamentals into my muscle memory, so my stroke still reverts to its old bad habits - elbow drop, rushed backswing, failure to pause and finish the backstoke- especially when under competitive pressure (like when I dogged the 9 at least 3 times at the CCB tourney!), but I know that will improve when I get a little practice time at the table.

If you ever get a chance I highly recommend Randy's "pool school" to all you CCB'ers out there.
Thanks Randy, Leslie, and Chris!

bluewolf
10-04-2002, 07:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ross:</font><hr> I attended RandyG's "road version" of his pool school in Boone and had a great experience. The instruction was first rate, Chris was a great host (he even cooked pancakes for all of us for breakfast one morning), and Family Billiards is a very nice room. Randy and Leslie Rogers from Cue-Tech were the instructors, and you won't find two guys that are more outgoing, friendly, and knowlegeable teachers of pool than these two. Leslie is a trip himself - you will know what I mean if you ever meet him! There were also four instructor candidates, including Chris, who worked with us students as part of their training. Since there were only five students, we each received a lot of individual attention.

Instruction went from 8 am until 4 pm on Friday, Sat, and Sunday, with a break for lunch. This included individual videotaped analysis (and "grading") of our stroke on all three days. The course emphasized building solid fundamentals, and began by getting us to develop consistency in our pre-shot routines, including approach, stance, eye-movements, and warm-up strokes. The stroke itself was taught as a set-pause-finish-freeze sequence (think Allison), with an emphasis on using the finish position as a diagnostic tool when things don't go quite as planned. Later we worked on cue-ball control topics such as speed control, english, etc. Randy also covered some specialty strokes, such as drawing the cueball with a level cue when you are a half-inch from the ob!

I have not had the practice time yet to burn the fundamentals into my muscle memory, so my stroke still reverts to its old bad habits - elbow drop, rushed backswing, failure to pause and finish the backstoke- especially when under competitive pressure (like when I dogged the 9 at least 3 times at the CCB tourney!), but I know that will improve when I get a little practice time at the table.

If you ever get a chance I highly recommend Randy's "pool school" to all you CCB'ers out there.
Thanks Randy, Leslie, and Chris! <hr></blockquote>

ross. just finished day one at poolschool. loads of one on one help.they seem to have it down to an art, very organized,very thoourough and very friendly instructors. i have two more days to go but learned a lot today already.

feel very fortunate to have this opportunity.

bw