PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Daniel's disappearing felony

Soflasnapper
06-10-2012, 12:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> reason.org

Mitch Daniels' Disappearing Felony

Jacob Sullum | February 25, 2011

Yesterday The Daily Princetonian published a profile of Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels that focuses on a drug bust during his junior year at Princeton:

Officers found enough marijuana in his room to fill two size 12 shoe boxes, reports of the incident say. He and the other inhabitants of the room were also charged with possession of LSD and prescription drugs without a prescription. Daniels and his two roommates in 111 Cuyler Hall, Marc Stuart '71 and Richard Stockton '71, were arrested and, after plea bargaining, Daniels eventually escaped with a $350 fine for "maintaining a common nuisance." The charges against Stockton were eventually dropped.

Daniels, a Republican who served as George W. Bush's budget director, portrays this incident as a youthful mistake for which he paid an appropriate price. "I don't make excuses for anything," he says. "Justice was served." Yet he does make excuses. In a 1989 Washington Post op-ed piece that the Princetonian quotes, Daniels attributed his arrest to the "unfortunate confluence of my wild oats period and America's libertine apogee," </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> More important, Daniels' assertion that "justice was served" obscures what a huge break he got. Under current New Jersey law, possessing more than 50 grams (about 1.8 ounces) of marijuana is a felony punishable by up to 18 months in prison. Given the amount of pot Daniels had (enough to fill two shoeboxes), he easily could have been charged with intent to distribute, which under current law triggers a penalty of three to five years (for less than five pounds). And at the time of Daniels' arrest in May 1970, New Jersey's marijuana penalties were even more severe. Six months after his arrest, the New Jersey Supreme Court decided a case involving an 18-year-old who was caught with a tiny amount of pot (clearly just for personal use) and got a sentence of two to three years in prison. Concluding that "the sentence was entirely too harsh," the court noted that state law set a minimum sentence of two years but allowed it to be suspended for a first offense. The court ruled that "a suspended sentence with an appropriate term of probation is sufficient penalty for a person who is convicted for the first time of possessing marihuana for his own use." Given the legal situation prior to this ruling, Daniels was incredibly lucky to get off with a $350 fine, and he was able to do so only because he did not actually plead guilty to marijuana possession—only to the lesser offense of "maintaining a common nuisance."</div></div>

From Reason (http://reason.com/blog/2011/02/25/mitch-daniels-disappearing-fel)

DickLeonard
06-10-2012, 01:04 PM
soflasnapper the crime is always different when the people of power commit it.

When Rush got caught with his Dr. perscription for viagara he skated, if he was black he would be still be serving the rest of his sentence with his Black Lovemate.####

Soflasnapper
06-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Very true, and Princeton is one of the places for such people.

I thought I was big-time when I took 4 oz. with me to Patton Hall there, smuggled inside my Altec-Lansing all in one 90 watts RMS per side amp/turntable combo some 5 years after Mitch was there. No LSD or prescription meds, though. I wasn't THAT connected, it appears.