PDA

View Full Version : Bunjee Tips falling off

10-02-2002, 08:52 PM
What is the best glue to hold on the bungee tips? Mine has fallen off twice. I am using a super gel. I think the problem may be the glue dries brittle and the glue it's self breaks because the tip is so hard. I am thinking of trying Barge that I used to use a long time ago. Anyway, any ideas?
Bill

rackmup
10-02-2002, 09:45 PM
...backside.

Are you roughing that baby up on it's backside before you glue it? It is so hard and so slick you almost have to score the back to get it to hold.

As for glue, my tip guy uses something he won't reveal (or he'll have to kill me) but at least the tip has stayed on.

Regards,

Ken (this is a question for Spiderman)

10-02-2002, 11:04 PM
It did not come unglued. Close look showed glue on the tip and the ferrule. It is as if the glue sheared off. Like I said, it seems to brittle.

SpiderMan
10-03-2002, 09:06 AM
I recently put a hard phenolic tip on Sid V's stealth jumper, using slow-cure spoxy. He's been practicing with it almost every day, no problems.

When using epoxy, don't compress the tip into the ferrule like you would with super glue. Epoxy works best with a slight gap to fill. Also, I roughed up both the ferrule and tip with some 100-grit, and wiped off all the dust before glueing.

Mix a little epoxy on a card, then get a clean stick and transfer some from the middle of the blob to another spot and mix again. Then get another clean stick and do your work using glue from the middle of this blob. I've never had a tip come off using this technique.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> What is the best glue to hold on the bungee tips? Mine has fallen off twice. I am using a super gel. I think the problem may be the glue dries brittle and the glue it's self breaks because the tip is so hard. I am thinking of trying Barge that I used to use a long time ago. Anyway, any ideas?
Bill <hr></blockquote>

10-03-2002, 10:09 AM
Sounds like you have the system. If it can be told, any suggestion as to what epoxy to use?

SpiderMan
10-03-2002, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Sounds like you have the system. If it can be told, any suggestion as to what epoxy to use? <hr></blockquote>

I've lately been using the Devcon brand "2-Ton" "8-hour cure" epoxy, but I usually let it set 24 hours before shaping the tip. It soaks in and completely penetrates the bottom layer of leather, and there's no possibility of a gap under the tip.

Also, I suspect that the thorough mixing is more important than the actual brand. I've seen several people squirt a line of epoxy on a card, swirl it around a few times with a matchstick, and call it mixed. Then they wonder why it doesn't set up as hard as they think it should.

You gotta make sure that there's no "unmixed" resin or hardener in the portion that you actually put into your application. That's why I transfer from the center of the puddle to do the second mix - there's a lot of unmixed product at the edges of the puddle.

SpiderMan

eg8r
10-04-2002, 07:36 AM
Have you contacted Instroke. I am sure John would be more than willing to help you out.

10-04-2002, 07:52 AM
They only have a disclaimer that the tips may fall off. So I was hoping for something better then they would suggest, theirs already failed.

eg8r
10-04-2002, 07:27 PM
I did not say to read their disclaimer. It is not like you are trying to get it fixed for free. I am sure no one on here will give you a 100% gaurantee it will never fall off. The best they can say is that they have had luck with the way they do theirs or, it has not fallen off "yet".

Call John, he is very willing to talk and will tell you what he has had the best experience with.

Don't just give someone one chance and then call them a failure when nothing pulls through. With that idea, then they did 100% exactly what they said. They tell it will stay on but it may fall off. Yours did. They were correct!!!!

eg8r