PDA

View Full Version : One hand on mechanical bridge?

Alaskan_Pool
06-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Is there any rule that you must have one hand on the mechanical bridge when shooting? I thought there was but I can't find it in any rules.

Fran Crimi
06-17-2012, 05:53 AM
No there isn't any rule against and I'd love to have an opponent who's dumb enough to not hang on to it. They not only risk missing the shot due to instability but they put themselves at greater risk for a foul, by either the bridge moving into balls while shooting or not lifting it off the table quickly enough to avoid moving balls.

Rich R.
06-17-2012, 06:44 AM
I totally agree with Fran's response but I'm curious. What gave you the idea that there was a rule? Did a situation come up while playing a match?
Inquiring minds need to know. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Alaskan_Pool
06-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Well, I was taught to hold it the classic way, and for some reason I also got the impression it was required that your hand be in contact. I can't remember whether I was ever told this directly, though I think I was at some point but we;re talking quite a lot of years ago, and it never really came up thereafter. It doesn't matter; I wouldn't do it another way if I knew I could take my hand off. The reason I asked was because I know a player whose goes by the handle "slim", a really tall guy (about 6' 8" and rail thin) and he uses his elbow (well sort of the back of his forearm to be precise) to steady the bridge which I guess works for him because of his height, though it looks very awkward to me.

Sid_Vicious
06-17-2012, 11:52 AM
I can see justification in the question. Even the bridge laying on the table without physical contact, could be deemed an aiming device for angles. sid

cushioncrawler
06-17-2012, 04:01 PM
There aint no rule in snooker or english billiards saying u havta hold a bridge.
But there iz a rule saying u karnt uze a bridge etc if u dont need to uze it.
mac.

Hmmmmmm -- why duznt someone make a bridge that iz really just a torn off mannequin plastik arm-hand.
Would look funny stuck up your sleeve.

Fran Crimi
06-17-2012, 04:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hmmmmmm -- why duznt someone make a bridge that iz really just a torn off mannequin plastik arm-hand.
Would look funny stuck up your sleeve. </div></div>

Ha! Love it! What a great idea!

Rich R.
06-17-2012, 07:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskan_Pool</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I was taught to hold it the classic way, and for some reason I also got the impression it was required that your hand be in contact. I can't remember whether I was ever told this directly, though I think I was at some point but we;re talking quite a lot of years ago, and it never really came up thereafter. It doesn't matter; I wouldn't do it another way if I knew I could take my hand off. The reason I asked was because I know a player whose goes by the handle "slim", a really tall guy (about 6' 8" and rail thin) and he uses his elbow (well sort of the back of his forearm to be precise) to steady the bridge which I guess works for him because of his height, though it looks very awkward to me. </div></div>
I guess we can all agree you were taught correctly. It is best to keep a hand on the bridge handle. There just isn't a rule requiring it.

If I were 6'8" I don't know that I'd ever have to use a bridge. It would certainly be a lot less than I do now. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif