PDA

View Full Version : AZ On Track To 'Achieve' 3rd World Status

DiabloViejo
06-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Arizona On Track To ‘Achieve’ Third World Status
June 18, 2012
By Deborah Montesano
Addicting Info (http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/06/18/arizona-on-track-to-achieve-third-world-status/)

Arizona was warned. Local governments in the state were worried about a report in 2008, from the Morrison Institute for Public Policy, which seemed to place the state at a fork in the road. It was poised to become either a great place to live, or “an uncompetitive, unsustainable place where the standard of living stagnates or declines and the position of Arizona tumbles from its historic attractiveness to undesirable.” The mayors and city councilmen in the Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG) hired an expert on metropolitan development, Michael Gallis, to suggest what they should do.

In his presentation to MAG last week, Gallis told them bluntly that they need another way of thinking. Political leadership and education in the state fall way short of where they need to be. By way of contrast, Shanghai, China aims to “become the world center of finance, trade and culture in the 21st century”—and says so in its mission statement. Arizona doesn’t even have a mission statement. But Hugh Hallman, mayor of Tempe, pointed out that the state has great ideas—like a “Canamex” transportation corridor for goods, between Mexico and Canada. He seems to have forgotten that the corridor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANAMEX_Corridor) was established under the North American Free Trade Agreement. And even though Arizona has been talking about the corridor for 25 years, the state has yet to complete its portion of the necessary rail and highway connections.

While the city and county governments received praise for their leadership at the meeting, the state government and Arizona’s Congressional delegation were pointedly omitted from the accolades. William Harris, CEO of Science Foundation Arizona, pointed out that education in Arizona ranks 48th in the nation and “you’re not going to have an innovation economy in 30 years.” The fact is, the success of American tech companies depends on immigrants from China and India rather than on its citizens.

In the past, Harris pointed out, the state had leaders with the grit and determination to complete big projects, like the system of dams on the Salt River. Such leadership doesn’t exist today.

<span style="color: #000099">What Harris didn’t explicitly say is that the state has a legislature and governor who are willing to gut the educational system, harass its immigrant population, slash healthcare coverage and other benefits, and challenge federal policies at every turn rather than focus on real solutions to real problems. As they have tried to make Arizona an undesirable place for immigrants to live, state officials have made it increasingly undesirable for all its residents—and even its corporations.</span>

“I want to see Arizona as a place of discovery and innovation,” Harris told the city and county officials. “Don’t accept mediocrity. Don’t accept being 48th unless you want to condemn your children to a Third World society.” With that, some further suggestions come to mind: “Too late” and “Don’t hold your breath.”

cushioncrawler
06-19-2012, 05:50 PM
This iz typikal kapatilist homo-erektus western starspangled krapp.

What shood kum first iz the happyness of intelligent notyetborn homo-sapiens.
Followed by the happyness of living superstitious pink-arsed apes.
Which really meens that what kums first iz the natural environment, kleen rivers etc, healthy flora and fauna.

Which really meens that every stupid looking dickhead in AZ shood kommit suicide for the good of all.
mac.

Gayle in MD
06-20-2012, 07:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This iz typikal kapatilist homo-erektus western starspangled krapp.

What shood kum first iz the happyness of intelligent notyetborn homo-sapiens.
Followed by the happyness of living superstitious pink-arsed apes.
Which really meens that what kums first iz the natural environment, kleen rivers etc, healthy flora and fauna.

Which really meens that every stupid looking dickhead in AZ shood kommit suicide for the good of all.
mac. </div></div>

My dear friend Mac,

I am confused, On the one hand, you seem to care about the health of our planet, preserving the cleanliness of the air, water, oceans, yet on the other hand, you seem to subscribe to the no government, no oversight, and no regulations, of the radical right, completely corrupted now, by the Supreme Court decision, and the greedy corporate CROOK pigs.

How are we to keep our planet safe, clean and sustainable, if Corporations are protected by The Grand Oil Party, Repiglicans, The Repigloican Majority Supreme Court, (and a few Dem Blue Dogs, representing corporations, and pandering to big oil and coal, in their states, IOW, those Dems who represent the ignorant in the flyover states, and still maintain a sustainable planet, and life in general.

Only our government can protect the common good, through regulations, Corporations will not regulate themselves, as is perfectly clear, or should be to all of us.

Profits ONLY, as the ONLY goal, does not protect the environment, anymore than profits only, can provide decent Medical Insurance, or protect us from another Wall St. Ponzi Scheme. What, other than a democratically elected representative government, can protect the environment? Granted, the Radical RW Fascist Supreme Court, has all but destroyed Democracy, but their damages could br overturned, with strong Congressional legislation, if we could put Dems back into the majority.

It is no accident, that ONLY those from the left, are ever out in front, working to expose the filth and pollution that is destroying life on Earth, and they are truly our only hope, given the overall denial of Repiglicans, about proven scientific theories, like for example, the theory of Evolution, and 98% of International Global Scientists, all agreeing that man made actions, such as burning fossile fuels, is warming the earth beyond its ability to recover or survive.
G.

cushioncrawler
06-20-2012, 05:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dear friend Mac, I am confused, On the one hand, you seem to care about the health of our planet, preserving the cleanliness of the air, water, oceans, yet on the other hand, you seem to subscribe to the no government, no oversight, and no regulations, of the radical right, completely corrupted now, by the Supreme Court decision, and the greedy corporate CROOK pigs. How are we to keep our planet safe, clean and sustainable, if Corporations are protected by The Grand Oil Party, Repiglicans, The Repigloican Majority Supreme Court, (and a few Dem Blue Dogs, representing corporations, and pandering to big oil and coal, in their states, IOW, those Dems who represent the ignorant in the flyover states, and still maintain a sustainable planet, and life in general. Only our government can protect the common good, through regulations, Corporations will not regulate themselves, as is perfectly clear, or should be to all of us. Profits ONLY, as the ONLY goal, does not protect the environment, anymore than profits only, can provide decent Medical Insurance, or protect us from another Wall St. Ponzi Scheme. What, other than a democratically elected representative government, can protect the environment? Granted, the Radical RW Fascist Supreme Court, has all but destroyed Democracy, but their damages could br overturned, with strong Congressional legislation, if we could put Dems back into the majority. It is no accident, that ONLY those from the left, are ever out in front, working to expose the filth and pollution that is destroying life on Earth, and they are truly our only hope, given the overall denial of Repiglicans, about proven scientific theories, like for example, the theory of Evolution, and 98% of International Global Scientists, all agreeing that man made actions, such as burning fossile fuels, is warming the earth beyond its ability to recover or survive. G.</div></div>Gday Gdayle -- Az u know i am a green atheist fascist type. And i dont agree with the GOP and libertarians etc.

Even when it kums to unions i dont agree. I reckon that there shood be zero unions, but for different reasons to the GOP etc. The work of unions iz too important to be left to unions.

I like the idea of lean big gov -- and smart socializm, ie plenty of scope for free enterprize.

I dont like silly krappynomix, silly kapitalizm, silly democracy, silly superstition.

The main thing iz the distant future, then the near future.
Dont forget, homo-erektus iz a pox on the earth.
mac.

Gayle in MD
06-21-2012, 10:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dear friend Mac, I am confused, On the one hand, you seem to care about the health of our planet, preserving the cleanliness of the air, water, oceans, yet on the other hand, you seem to subscribe to the no government, no oversight, and no regulations, of the radical right, completely corrupted now, by the Supreme Court decision, and the greedy corporate CROOK pigs. How are we to keep our planet safe, clean and sustainable, if Corporations are protected by The Grand Oil Party, Repiglicans, The Repigloican Majority Supreme Court, (and a few Dem Blue Dogs, representing corporations, and pandering to big oil and coal, in their states, IOW, those Dems who represent the ignorant in the flyover states, and still maintain a sustainable planet, and life in general. Only our government can protect the common good, through regulations, Corporations will not regulate themselves, as is perfectly clear, or should be to all of us. Profits ONLY, as the ONLY goal, does not protect the environment, anymore than profits only, can provide decent Medical Insurance, or protect us from another Wall St. Ponzi Scheme. What, other than a democratically elected representative government, can protect the environment? Granted, the Radical RW Fascist Supreme Court, has all but destroyed Democracy, but their damages could br overturned, with strong Congressional legislation, if we could put Dems back into the majority. It is no accident, that ONLY those from the left, are ever out in front, working to expose the filth and pollution that is destroying life on Earth, and they are truly our only hope, given the overall denial of Repiglicans, about proven scientific theories, like for example, the theory of Evolution, and 98% of International Global Scientists, all agreeing that man made actions, such as burning fossile fuels, is warming the earth beyond its ability to recover or survive. G.</div></div>Gday Gdayle -- Az u know i am a green atheist fascist type. And i dont agree with the GOP and libertarians etc.

Even when it kums to unions i dont agree. I reckon that there shood be zero unions, but for different reasons to the GOP etc. The work of unions iz too important to be left to unions.

I like the idea of lean big gov -- and smart socializm, ie plenty of scope for free enterprize.

I dont like silly krappynomix, silly kapitalizm, silly democracy, silly superstition.

The main thing iz the distant future, then the near future.
Dont forget, homo-erektus iz a pox on the earth.
mac. </div></div>

Hi again Mac...forgive me, but may I ask again...Only our government can protect the common good, through regulations, Corporations will not regulate themselves, as is perfectly clear, or should be to all of us.

Profits ONLY, as the ONLY goal, does not protect the environment, anymore than profits only, can provide decent Medical Insurance, or protect us from another Wall St. Ponzi Scheme.

What, other than a democratically elected representative government, can protect the environment?

G.

cushioncrawler
06-21-2012, 05:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi again Mac...forgive me, but may I ask again...Only our government can protect the common good, through regulations, Corporations will not regulate themselves, as is perfectly clear, or should be to all of us. Profits ONLY, as the ONLY goal, does not protect the environment, anymore than profits only, can provide decent Medical Insurance, or protect us from another Wall St. Ponzi Scheme. What, other than a democratically elected representative government, can protect the environment? G</div></div>For sure for sure. And, u kan put "Unions" in place of "Corporations" and read again too.
mac.

eg8r
06-22-2012, 01:43 AM
With this we both agree.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-22-2012, 06:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi again Mac...forgive me, but may I ask again...Only our government can protect the common good, through regulations, Corporations will not regulate themselves, as is perfectly clear, or should be to all of us. Profits ONLY, as the ONLY goal, does not protect the environment, anymore than profits only, can provide decent Medical Insurance, or protect us from another Wall St. Ponzi Scheme. What, other than a democratically elected representative government, can protect the environment? G</div></div>For sure for sure. And, u kan put "Unions" in place of "Corporations" and read again too.
mac. </div></div>

Mac,
Unions don't steal our money from us on Wall St.

Unions don't pollute our ecology.

Unions are the only voice that middle class workers have, in this country. They vote Democratic, which is why the corporations have bought and paid REpigoliocans to destroy them.

Where do you think there is more theft, corruption, economic damage and destruction of our water, air, lands,
CEO's on Wall St. in Big Oil, Coal, Big pharma, or among employee Union members?

G.

eg8r
06-25-2012, 07:33 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mac,
Unions don't steal our money from us on Wall St.</div></div>LOL sure they do. Wasn't it the unions in Michigan that were demanding money from families who chose to stay home with their sick children instead of institutionalizing them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unions don't pollute our ecology.
</div></div>Could you stick your head up your rear any further? Unions don't care about our ecology. They care about getting more money for doing less work. As long as they get an extra day of vacation, a pay raise and their birthday as a paid holiday they will do whatever you want and that includes polluting our ecology.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Ed,
If you can't post without your ugly filth, don't post to me at all.

Any posts from you that include the usual insulting filth you include in your posts regularly, will be ignored.

G.

eg8r
06-25-2012, 09:22 AM
I will post as I see fit. You have been ignoring reality since the beginning why would you change now?

eg8r