PDA

View Full Version : Charge Assault Or Not Charge Assault?

Sid_Vicious
06-19-2012, 06:49 PM
I was physically encountered outside the PH by a guy I'd finished playing for cash...I did good on winnings for the evening. I've known this guy for years but just at the PH, and have developed a natural dislike for the guy over time, but he just won't ever quit pushing me to "play some." Well that happened Sunday, we shut down the PH at 2am, he won only one set all night and the cash got bigger the later it got. One thing led to another in vocal exchanges which lead to threats of smacking my jaw outside when 2am arrived, and me being protective of my health and body...I was going to avoid that at all costs. I alerted my waitress who I knew fairly well, "For the record Darlin', I am going out the door cuz it is closing time, and I have no plans to give this guy a fight outside."

Well I was smacked down just outside the door, banged up an elbow and encountered somebody's parked car on the way down, damaging a mirror along with my ribs. Some of the regulars were there standing around BSing(it was closing time remember) and I was fortunate enough to have one of the big guys get in the middle and allow me to migrate to my car and get away without more physical damage from this nut-case.

OK alcohol was in the mix as it always with me, so common sense said to leave the local PD uncalled as far as an assault charge, if you catch my drift. Besides, for some reason I always seem to think involving the law seems out of place after playing pool for money, especially when I have known the other guy several years, even though I have never really liked him. Dumb ettiuquete on my part I guess.

So, am I more right or more wrong to not have already filed assault charges on this guy? Thanks...sid

Eric.
06-19-2012, 07:09 PM
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but...

You seem to get into a lot of these situations, over the past 10 years i've "known" you. "This jerk...", "that redneck...", "that drunk...".

Just sayin'.

Eric

Sid_Vicious
06-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Thank you for sharing. sid

Bambu
06-20-2012, 08:14 AM
From what we know of him, Sid does seem to draw some conflict. I just wonder what set his opponent off like that. Someone must have said something they shouldnt have. Or was the guy just pissed off he lost?

Fran Crimi
06-20-2012, 08:26 AM
".....OK alcohol was in the mix as it always with me,....."

I think this is a cry for help, Sid.

It's time for you to stop drinking. Enough is enough. Also, don't you dare drive in that condition, even if you think you're OK. You're not OK.

Get some help --- please. Forget the idiot. Take care of yourself.

Sid_Vicious
06-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Thank you for sharing. sid

Rich R.
06-20-2012, 10:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It's time for you to stop drinking. Enough is enough. Also, don't you dare drive in that condition, even if you think you're OK. You're not OK.

Get some help --- please. Forget the idiot. Take care of yourself. </div></div>
I have to agree with Fran here Sid. You obviously have some issues that must be addressed.

Also, if I haven't told you before, you really have to start playing with a better class of people.

Sid_Vicious
06-20-2012, 03:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Get some help --- please. Forget the idiot. Take care of yourself. </div></div>
I have to agree with Fran here Sid. You obviously have some issues that must be addressed.

Also, if I haven't told you before, you really have to start playing with a better class of people. </div></div>

I certainly agree with the last comment since it directly addresses the topic here. In all of my 20 years of playing, this was the first of it's kind. I have my favorite people to play, but after lots of barking from this guy to play, off we went.

Rest assured that my selection of players to play will be thinned down beginning with this one. Any loud, pushy players wanting to play some, are off the list, even though this is the first physical problem I've had in my pool career. One bad apple shouldn't spoil the whole bunch, but it may just have to.

As far as my alcohol(and his too BTW), shutting down the house at 2am and calling the calvery for help after being attacked always causes me to think that, A. The establishment/owners don't need the "legal-alcohol-heat" from hailing an LEO after an attack. And B., any extra alcohol noticed by the cop would likely have resulted in both of us being encarcerated for at least the night, and prove as a negative result to me even though I wasn't the aggressor.

It had nothing directly to do with this exact crime or the question at hand if I chose to enjoy my nights out to the PH for fun. Throwing a physical punch is though.

Case closed on that issue. Your concerns are taken though. sid

cushioncrawler
06-20-2012, 05:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.......he won only one set all night......</div></div>This iz not good. Next time it kood be 2 sets, and then it kood be the beginning of the end.

What happened in that set. Think. Hav u got a weakness. Iz that cue the right cue for u.

Some solo-praktis shood help. 50/50 praktis/play iz about right.
And check out your basik strategy. Backswing -- pause -- duck.
mac.

Fenwick
06-21-2012, 02:24 PM
pay the piper. to bear the consequences of one's actions.

Deeman3
06-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Sis, my friend. Some of us are made to play for money and get through life with very few problems. If you can't manage your relationships, games and control the outcome better by judging who to play and how to handle the wins and losses you may end up in a ditch one day!

Take care but consider another outlet for your game.

Sid_Vicious
06-26-2012, 07:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sis, my friend. Some of us are made to play for money and get through life with very few problems. If you can't manage your relationships, games and control the outcome better by judging who to play and how to handle the wins and losses you may end up in a ditch one day!

</div></div>

"If you can't manage your relationships, games and control the outcome better by judging who to play and how to handle the wins and losses"

If you play for money for a decade, a little with the same people and friends, and this kind of being attacked happens...I don't feel that is bad judgement on my part. You do the best job of deciphering character over time, and then one day, somebody you thought you knew a little, literally steals the post money when your back is turned, and then gets physical after being embarassed in front of the world watching for that obvious theft? Think about that Dee.

Oh yea Dee...I know exactly who I won't be playing ever again, that is a no brainer to say the very least. I worked every aspect of avoiding a physical attack outside, and I do give myself a BIG kudo for doing that...I tried. I simply have to say I felt violated criminaly with the first slam outside when I simply said, "I am going home, and began to walk away."

Thanks for your input, especially about the ditch. That could be a reality with the generalities surrounding even this small $$$ situation. Ethnics is involved, and poverty cjanges people, if you catch my drift.

We're cool Dee. Well, it'll cost you the Wild8 and the breaks ;-) sid

Eric.
06-26-2012, 10:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sis, my friend. Some of us are made to play for money and get through life with very few problems. If you can't manage your relationships, games and control the outcome better by judging who to play and how to handle the wins and losses you may end up in a ditch one day!

</div></div>

"If you can't manage your relationships, games and control the outcome better by judging who to play and how to handle the wins and losses"

If you play for money for a decade, a little with the same people and friends, and this kind of being attacked happens...I don't feel that is bad judgement on my part. You do the best job of deciphering character over time, and then one day, somebody you thought you knew a little, literally steals the post money when your back is turned, and then gets physical after being embarassed in front of the world watching for that obvious theft? Think about that Dee.

Oh yea Dee...I know exactly who I won't be playing ever again, that is a no brainer to say the very least. I worked every aspect of avoiding a physical attack outside, and I do give myself a BIG kudo for doing that...I tried. I simply have to say I felt violated criminaly with the first slam outside when I simply said, "I am going home, and began to walk away."

Thanks for your input, especially about the ditch. That could be a reality with the generalities surrounding even this small $$$ situation. Ethnics is involved, and poverty cjanges people, if you catch my drift.

We're cool Dee. Well, it'll cost you the Wild8 and the breaks ;-) sid </div></div>

Got my head in the sand (http://waterman99.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/us-ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg)

Eric &gt; /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sid_Vicious
06-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Thank you for sharing.

TomBrooklyn
06-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Hi Sid.

I'd vote no charges.

I believe you may think you did as much as you could to avoid this situation; but I think you probably could have done more.