PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Bert Kinister's Tapes

Ludba
10-03-2002, 02:31 PM
I'm not given to venting my frustrations in public, but I would like to know who else has had similar problems with pool video distributors (Kinister or otherwise).

Here's the story:

I called Bert Kinister's number on Saturday, September 14 to order the 60-minute workout tape. He says it will arrive in 7 days. I assume he means business days, so even if he waits until Monday to send it off, that means it should arrive by Wednesday, September 25.

So the 25th rolls around and no tape is in my mailbox. I call up Kinister's and he says the order was placed on the 20th (a week after I had called) and "it will be there any minute." Okay, no problem.

So I keep checking my mailbox and still no tape. I called Tuesday, October 1, and he says that the girl that handles his shipping had a relative that passed away, and "if it isn't there in 2-3 days, give me a call."

So I call back today, and ask when it was actually sent out. "Monday," he says. "This last Monday?" I ask. "Yes, this last Monday.... If it isn't there by [next] Monday, we'll send you another one."

So, I'm a bit miffed. If it isn't here by Tuesday, I'm just cancelling the charge, and getting a different tape. And actually, after looking around, I found the tape at a different website for a cheaper price, so I should have just ordered it from there.

I think I've been messed around with from the beginning because I only ordered one tape, so my business isn't all that important to Kinister and those who work for him. I was planning on ordering more tapes based on my impression of the first one, but if I don't receive a tape, I can't get too good of an impression, ne c'est pas?

I'm wondering how honest Kinister was about his shipping girl's death in the family. I'm not disputing that someone died, but I begin to think it was just a convenient excuse to get me off the phone and out of his hair.

If someone makes a business promise, he has a legal and ethical obligation to honor that promise. 7 days does not mean 20 days and I think I've been more than reasonable.

But my question is: "Has anyone else had similar problems with distributors?"

SPetty
10-03-2002, 02:39 PM
Back in April, Bert had a $10 special for any one of his tapes. I ordered the first 60 minute workout from Bert himself on the phone, and it arrived just as quickly as you would expect it to. No problems here. It was just one tape.

Ludba
10-03-2002, 03:03 PM
Thanks, SPetty, I appreciate the feedback.

mike_in_iowa
10-03-2002, 03:08 PM
I myself have ordered all of bert's tapes and never had a problem with any of them. Always got them in a timely fashion. If he said what the problem was then I believe him. Hope you like his tapes.

10-03-2002, 07:56 PM
I concur

Wally_in_Cincy
10-04-2002, 06:47 AM
I had the same trouble. It took 42 days, 3 phone calls and a CCB venting session. On the second phone call (Day 28) he told me his dubber was on the fritz.

Maybe you and I are the exception to the rule. Or not.

Ross
10-04-2002, 08:50 AM
I received mine fairly quickly. It sounds like Bert's dealings with customers are like his tapes - a mixed bag.

Chris Cass
10-04-2002, 09:38 AM
Well,

I've never had business dealings with him however, I have played against him in a team event. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Furthermore, I'd play him some any day of the damm week.

Note: These tapes are done on bar boxes and I wouldn't doubt him dubbing the heck out of them. I have never purchased anything from him so, I can't say either way.

This in no way should black cloud Don Feeney his sometimes business aquaintence. Don is a good friend and is straight up.

Regards,

C.C.

10-04-2002, 09:42 AM
He has been around for a long time. I think he is a self contained opperation and may at time have probelems. I doubt he is trying to screw anyone around. If there is a delay in shipping, give him a break the tapes will come.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-04-2002, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Well,

I've never had business dealings with him however, I have played against him in a team event. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Furthermore, I'd play him some any day of the damm week.

Note: These tapes are done on bar boxes and I wouldn't doubt him dubbing the heck out of them. I have never purchased anything from him so, I can't say either way.

This in no way should black cloud Don Feeney his sometimes business aquaintence. Don is a good friend and is straight up.

Regards,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

Well you brought it up, so..........

One of our group posted here a while back that he was shooting in a team tournament and Kinister flipped back a mini-blind and blinded him just as he was stroking /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

10-04-2002, 01:49 PM
chris if you dreamed you played kinister youd apologize

jjinfla
10-04-2002, 03:34 PM
When you get that tape keep in mind that it is on a 3 x 6 table. Most likely made in his garage. And maybe one of his VCR's went on the fritz. But I enjoy the tape. Jake

ceebee
10-05-2002, 09:25 AM
I've purchased several Videos from Bert, on several occasions. I've never had a problem. I've also been able to learn from Bert's tapes too. NOTE: all of his Videos aren't shot on a Bar BOX, I have several that are taped on a 4 1/2 x 9.
I always insist on insurance, because there are folks in the mailing/shipping business that are not trustworthy.

Ludba
10-05-2002, 06:30 PM
So, my roommate threw a box at my head this morning to wake me up. Inside the box was my tape. I like what I've seen of it, but I'll probably have to get his advanced workout tape, the shotmaker's workout, and maybe his star pattern tapes.

Has anybody bought the 6 or 9 pointed star pattern tapes? Are the drills a good way to fill up an hour of daily practice?