PDA

View Full Version : What Makes a Good Break Cue Good?

TomBrooklyn
06-28-2012, 08:28 AM
What makes for a good break cue...besides a hard tip, giving it a name like Sledgehammer, Anvil, or Crusher, and adding a $100 to the price?

SpiderMan
06-29-2012, 12:08 PM
For us non-experts, I think a larger tip diameter and flatter crown also help. Similar trend in golf drivers.

BCA Master Instr
06-30-2012, 11:29 AM
The player!

LWW
06-30-2012, 05:14 PM
A stiff shaft with a very hard tip and a weight no more than, and preferably an ounce or two less than, your playing cue. A dime shape seems to deflect less as well.

A more conical, or Euro, taper allows for a stiffer shaft without being thicker at the business end.

A metal joint transfers energy better also.

I also prefer something with the balance point a bit farther forward than my playing cue.

I play with an 18.5 oz Predator SP with a SS joint and 17 oz home brew break cue that has a SS joint and Picone White Diamond tip.

That all being said, if your store is whacked none of that will matter.

Te bottom line is how much energy is delivered to the rack, and where.

A hard tip transfers more energy as does a stiffer shaft as does a stiffer joint, anywhere that oppression is minimized is good.

But ... you have to stroke the ball well at a high speed to create the energy to be delivered. A lighter weight obviously will accelerate easier ... but, again, if you can't hit the rock ard with good aim you are better off to reduce speed until your aim improves.

If you can't hit te rock hard with accuracy you would also IMHO be better off investing your break cue money into table tie until you can do so.