PDA

View Full Version : What's a Fair Monthly Unlimited Play Rate?

TomBrooklyn
06-28-2012, 09:56 AM
What's a fair monthly rate for unlimited playing time in the local pool hall?

Assume a pool hall that is never 100% full.

SpiderMan
06-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Tom,

I'm sure it varies geographically, but I can give you several examples from poolrooms in Dallas, Texas:

1. $35 per month flat rate. This was several (5+) years ago. I stopped going to this room because it was too smoky, so I don't know if it is still offered. Smoking has been outlawed in Dallas bars, so it might be OK now. But I don't think this is a very good deal nowadays, cost-wise.

2. $25 flat rate for 10 visits. This room offers a punch card for $25, which allows you unlimited-time usage of a table on 10 separate visits. In other words, you can play all day, 10 separate times, for $25. Probably the best deal going, since it does not require that you use the visits in any particular time frame. I'm currently participating in this deal. Since I play in multiple poolrooms, I only get my card punched once or twice per month.

3. Of course, most league players get free practice time at their home bases, subject to a few caveats that depend on the house.

SpiderMan

Rich R.
06-29-2012, 05:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. $35 per month flat rate. This was several (5+) years ago. I stopped going to this room because it was too smoky, so I don't know if it is still offered. Smoking has been outlawed in Dallas bars, so it might be OK now. But I don't think this is a very good deal nowadays, cost-wise.
</div></div>
Why wouldn't this be a good deal nowadays?
I'm sure it varies by area and room but in my area a $35 monthly flat rate would be great. The average cost for table time in my area is $6 per hour, per player. I doubt any of the room owners here would give you that rate.

Johnny Bronx
07-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Thirty-five dollars seems an incredibly small amount for unlimited monthly usage. In the Bronx, table usage fees are $10 to $12 per hour, or $12 to $15.50 for three early bird hours. I'd expect a monthly rate to be over $100 at least, but I don't know because I've never asked.

SpiderMan
07-03-2012, 10:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. $35 per month flat rate. This was several (5+) years ago. I stopped going to this room because it was too smoky, so I don't know if it is still offered. Smoking has been outlawed in Dallas bars, so it might be OK now. But I don't think this is a very good deal nowadays, cost-wise.
</div></div>
I'm sure it varies by area and room but in my area a $35 monthly flat rate would be great. The average cost for table time in my area is $6 per hour, per player. I doubt any of the room owners here would give you that rate.</div></div>

Rich,

The reason it wouldn't be a good deal, at least for me, is the availability of options 2 and 3. I agree that #1 would be a better deal if I spent three or four days per week in the same poolroom. But since I play at several locations, using deal #2 as my practice fallback works for me.

I pay $25 for 10 unlimited-time sessions ... that's a flat rate of $2.50 per visit, and if I only go there once a week then my total cost is about $12 a month. BTW, that $2.50 is for the table, not per player, so I can let them punch my card and it covers my practice partner as well. Several of the places I play league offer free pool on certain days, so I don't spend all my time at one poolroom.

Agreed, any of the Dallas "deals" would apparently be a bargain in New York.

SpiderMan

Rich R.
07-03-2012, 08:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. $35 per month flat rate. This was several (5+) years ago. I stopped going to this room because it was too smoky, so I don't know if it is still offered. Smoking has been outlawed in Dallas bars, so it might be OK now. But I don't think this is a very good deal nowadays, cost-wise.
</div></div>
I'm sure it varies by area and room but in my area a $35 monthly flat rate would be great. The average cost for table time in my area is $6 per hour, per player. I doubt any of the room owners here would give you that rate.</div></div>

Rich,

The reason it wouldn't be a good deal, at least for me, is the availability of options 2 and 3. I agree that #1 would be a better deal if I spent three or four days per week in the same poolroom. But since I play at several locations, using deal #2 as my practice fallback works for me.

I pay $25 for 10 unlimited-time sessions ... that's a flat rate of $2.50 per visit, and if I only go there once a week then my total cost is about $12 a month. BTW, that $2.50 is for the table, not per player, so I can let them punch my card and it covers my practice partner as well. Several of the places I play league offer free pool on certain days, so I don't spend all my time at one poolroom.

Agreed, any of the Dallas "deals" would apparently be a bargain in New York.

SpiderMan </div></div>
SpiderMan, you definitely have some great deals in your area. I'm very jealous and maybe I should think about moving to Texas.

Here in Maryland, I don't know of any pool room giving flat rates of any kind and the places I know only give league players a free hour of practice time on the night of their league.

I don't even want to think about playing in NYC. Their table rates seem to be outrageous.

Soflasnapper
07-05-2012, 04:50 PM
I've never heard of such an offering around where I play.

And, for example, a NIGHTLY flat rate one place I play is $15 (making anything over 4 hours of play capped at about the 4 hour figure).

I also get a 6.50 flat nightly rate in another place, because of playing league out of there. Doing that math, it would be close to $200, and quite a bargain, assuming a daily couple of hours spent. Buying that much time in bulk might deserve a discount, but the $6.50 itself is already a huge one, so maybe not anything more than that.

The best deal EVER was $10 for unlimited play 7p-2a, and unlimited draft beer (or sodas) all night as well. That place stopped offering it, changed hands, and then was bought out by a large grocery store's expansion some years back.

Scott Lee
07-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Pressure Billiards in Chicago was offering a flat rate of $60/month. It was a good deal, and the owner had a couple dozen players who took advantage of it. I don't know if he still offers it or not. Nice room with decent equipment (Brunswick Metros).

Scott Lee

Rich R.
07-08-2012, 06:35 AM
If you are able to get to the poolroom several times a week, I think any of these flat rates would be a good deal. I have a table at home and most of the time I only get to the poolroom twice each week for league play but I would still consider a flat rate if it were reasonable enough. Of course, for me, the best deal would be the one with the punch card, good for a number of visits, that Spiderman mentioned.

JimmysEgo
07-10-2012, 10:40 PM
My local hall has a lunch deal, spend at least $8 on lunch and shoot pool for free from 11am - 7pm Sunday through Thursday. Unfortunately I can't take advantage of the deal unless I'm off work one of those days. Some Sundays I've played for about 5 hours and lunch for $8 (plus a nice tip to the waitress).

Rich R.
07-11-2012, 06:40 AM
If we're going to discuss good deals, other than flat monthly rates, there are several rooms in my area that give you free pool time with lunch. For some it is everyday and others it is only a day or two per week.
The best deal is a room that has a $5 special everyday. For $5 per player, you get to play pool from their 10 am opening until 5 pm. On Sunday, they even extend it until 8 pm. This is a great deal. Of course, the room has a bar and some pretty good food that they are hoping to make some money on.