PDA

View Full Version : Our Apologies to a Great American

Grapenut
06-29-2012, 06:15 AM
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad77/mdmeeks1010/Patrick_Henry_1_630_pxlw.jpg

We have been such idiots !!!

Nut

Soflasnapper
06-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Don't recognize this guy.

Who was he?

Grapenut
06-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Patrick Henry.

DiabloViejo
06-29-2012, 11:58 PM
And precisely why do you feel we need to apologize to Mr. Patrick Henry of "Give me liberty or give me death!" fame? I'm really curious as to why, and would appreciate a well thought out response from you.

LWW
06-30-2012, 06:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't recognize this guy. </div></div>

Imagine that.

LWW
06-30-2012, 06:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And precisely why do you feel we need to apologize to Mr. Patrick Henry of "Give me liberty or give me death!" fame? I'm really curious as to why, and would appreciate a well thought out response from you.

</div></div>

Because this generation of Americans have allowed a mockery to be made of the spilled and spent blood and treasure of all the generations of Americans between 1776 and WWII.

We have exchanged liberty and freedom for a series of Ponzi schemes.

Sadly, there are large swaths of the US population who do not understand liberty, much less have any desire to defend liberty.

I will give to you the immortal words of Samuel Adams as your answer:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"<span style='font-size: 11pt'>I shall date the ruin of this country, a politic minister will study to lull us into security by granting us the full extent of our petitions. The warm sunshine of influence would melt down the virtue which the violence of the storm rendered more firm and unyielding.</span> <span style='font-size: 14pt'>In a state of tranquillity, wealth, and luxury, our descendants would forget the arts of war and the noble activity and zeal which made their ancestors invincible. Every art of corruption would be employed to loosen the bond of union which renders our resistance formidable. When the spirit of liberty, which now animates our hearts and gives success to our arms, is extinct, our numbers will accelerate our ruin and render us easier victims to tyranny.</span> <span style='font-size: 11pt'>Ye abandoned minions of an infatuated ministry, if peradventure any should yet remain among us, remember that a Warren and Montgomery are numbered among the dead. Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, What should be the reward of such sacrifices? Bid us and our posterity bow the knee, supplicate the friendship, and plow, and sow, and reap, to glut the avarice of the men who have let loose on us the dogs of war to riot in our blood and hunt us from the face of the earth?</span> <span style='font-size: 17pt'>If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom--go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!</span>"

- Samuel Adams -
- August 1, 1776 -</div></div>

Words of wisdom from the wise of the past to the fools of the present. (http://www.nationalcenter.org/SamuelAdams1776.html)

I hope against all reasonable possibility that the lovers of tyranny will be granted the wisdom to understand what Mr Adams meant.

Grapenut
06-30-2012, 06:44 AM
Thanks, LWW. Couldn't have said it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcCPlkw6dO0

Nut

Sev
06-30-2012, 09:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And precisely why do you feel we need to apologize to Mr. Patrick Henry of "Give me liberty or give me death!" fame? I'm really curious as to why, and would appreciate a well thought out response from you.

</div></div>

Because this generation of Americans have allowed a mockery to be made of the spilled and spent blood and treasure of all the generations of Americans between 1776 and WWII.

We have exchanged liberty and freedom for a series of Ponzi schemes.

Sadly, there are large swaths of the US population who do not understand liberty, much less have any desire to defend liberty.

I will give to you the immortal words of Samuel Adams as your answer:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"<span style='font-size: 11pt'>I shall date the ruin of this country, a politic minister will study to lull us into security by granting us the full extent of our petitions. The warm sunshine of influence would melt down the virtue which the violence of the storm rendered more firm and unyielding.</span> <span style='font-size: 14pt'>In a state of tranquillity, wealth, and luxury, our descendants would forget the arts of war and the noble activity and zeal which made their ancestors invincible. Every art of corruption would be employed to loosen the bond of union which renders our resistance formidable. When the spirit of liberty, which now animates our hearts and gives success to our arms, is extinct, our numbers will accelerate our ruin and render us easier victims to tyranny.</span> <span style='font-size: 11pt'>Ye abandoned minions of an infatuated ministry, if peradventure any should yet remain among us, remember that a Warren and Montgomery are numbered among the dead. Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, What should be the reward of such sacrifices? Bid us and our posterity bow the knee, supplicate the friendship, and plow, and sow, and reap, to glut the avarice of the men who have let loose on us the dogs of war to riot in our blood and hunt us from the face of the earth?</span> <span style='font-size: 17pt'>If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom--go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!</span>"

- Samuel Adams -
- August 1, 1776 -</div></div>

Words of wisdom from the wise of the past to the fools of the present. (http://www.nationalcenter.org/SamuelAdams1776.html)

I hope against all reasonable possibility that the lovers of tyranny will be granted the wisdom to understand what Mr Adams meant. </div></div>

Unfortunately today Patrick Henry would be considered a dangerous radical.

OH Wait!!

http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/related/henry.htm
<span style="color: #000066">
"Radical," is a title that few men can wear with ease. The name Patrick Henry, during the revolution and for some time after, was synonymous with that word in the minds of colonists and Empire alike. Henry's reputation as a passionate and fiery orator exceeded even that of Samuel Adams. His Stamp Act Resolutions were, arguably, the first shot fired in the Revolutionary War.

Patrick Henry's personality was a curious antidote to the stern honor of Washington, the refined logic of Jefferson, and the well-tempered industry of Franklin. Young Henry was an idler and by many accounts a derelict; though everyone knew he was bright, he simply would not lift a finger except to his own pleasure. By the age of 10, his family knew that he would not be a farmer, and tried instead to train him toward academe. He would not apply himself to studies either. At age 21 his father set him up in a business that he bankrupted shortly thereafter. Finally the general public disgust in Hanover and pressure from his young family (he had married at the age of eighteen) caused him to study for six weeks and take the bar exam, which he passed, and begin work as a lawyer.

In 1764 he moved to Louisa county, Virginia, where, as a lawyer, he argued in defense of broad voting rights (suffrage) before the House of Burgesses. The following year he was elected to the House and soon became its leading radical member. It was that year that he proposed the Virginia Stamp Act Resolutions. Few members of the Burgesses, as aristocratic a group of legislators as existed in the colonies, would argue openly for defiance of Gr. Britain. Henry argued with remarkable eloquence and fervor in favor of the five acts, which by most accounts amounted to a treason against the mother country. In 1774 he represented Virginia in the First Continental Congress where he continued in the role of firebrand. At the outbreak of the revolution, he returned to his native state and lead militia in defense of Virginia's gunpowder store, when the royal Governor spirited it aboard a British ship. Henry forced the Governor Lord Dunmore to pay for the powder at fair price.

In 1776, Henry was elected Governor of Virginia. He was re-elected for three terms and then succeeded by Thomas Jefferson. He was again elected to the office in 1784. Patrick Henry was a strong critic of the constitution proposed in 1787. He was in favor of the strongest possible government for the individual states, and a weak federal government. He was also very critical of the fact that the convention was conducted in secret.

President Washington appointed him Secretary of State in 1795, but Henry declined the office. In 1799, President Adams appointed him envoy to France, but failing health required him to decline this office too. He died on June 6, 1799 at age of 63.</span>

DiabloViejo
06-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Hmmm, OK, so when an ELECTED president proposes a law that is approved by an ELECTED congress, and which is then ruled constitutional by The Supreme Court of the United States, that constitutes tyranny? Gee, thanks for clearing that up for me! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

It must suck to be you huh? Your cognitive dissonance means that you can't accept the fact that our republic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic) is also a Liberal Democracy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_democracy) Boy that really makes your blood boil doesn't it? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

So when are you killing yourself, now that you have been enslaved by tyranny? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

cushioncrawler
07-01-2012, 08:10 AM
How many black slaves did he hav.
mac.

LWW
07-01-2012, 08:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm, OK, so when an ELECTED president proposes a law that is approved by an ELECTED congress, and which is then ruled constitutional by The Supreme Court of the United States, that constitutes tyranny? Gee, thanks for clearing that up for me! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

It must suck to be you huh? Your cognitive dissonance means that you can't accept the fact that our republic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic) is also a Liberal Democracy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_democracy) Boy that really makes your blood boil doesn't it? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

So when are you killing yourself, now that you have been enslaved by tyranny? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

I said you wouldn't get it ... and you have never disappointed me on such predictions.

LWW
07-01-2012, 08:31 AM
If PH were alive today he would be in GITMO and the cabal would be calling for his head on a pike.

Soflasnapper
07-02-2012, 10:43 AM
I disagree, about Patrick Henry.

Now, THOMAS PAINE??? Different story. He'd be killed, flat out, as he opposed private property as part of his program.

I wonder if Glenn Beck's faux history expert ever explained this about Paine to Beck, who has taken him as a hero?

It's hard to be more on the left, as it is known today, than to advocate eliminating private property. I'm not sure anyone on the left still does that in modern times.

DiabloViejo
07-02-2012, 02:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm, OK, so when an ELECTED president proposes a law that is approved by an ELECTED congress, and which is then ruled constitutional by The Supreme Court of the United States, that constitutes tyranny? Gee, thanks for clearing that up for me! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

So when are you killing yourself, now that you have been enslaved by tyranny? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

I said you wouldn't get it ... and you have never disappointed me on such predictions. </div></div>

LMAO! You've obviously mistaken me for someone who actually gives a f*** what you think! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

In order for me to care about what you think, I'd have to have at least a smidgen of respect for you. But alas, I have about as much respect for you as I would for a steaming fetid pile of dog sh*t. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

BTW. What makes you so arrogant, that you believe that others need <u>you</u> to tell them what something means, or doesn't mean? People can read and come to their own conclusions. They don't need you to do it for them.. unless of course they like swinging from your nut sack.

In your deluded mind you view yourself as some sort of important right wing uber-Patriot. The rest of us see you as an a-hole of the very first rank. So why don't you make a real name for yourself and cement your place in history, by taking your guns, declaring war on the government, and dying in a hail of bullets? Think about it, your martyrdom would be glorious and it would elevate you into the pantheon of great right wing heroes like Tim McVeigh and others. Failing that, perhaps you could go to Washington DC, douse yourself in gasoline, strike a match, and go out in a blaze of glory with a one way ticket to right wing Valhalla. Come on just do it! Strike that blow for freedom!

Or failing that, you could lock yourself and your family in a rural compound and inbreed until you degenerate into semi-human monsters and have to be napalmed by the government. Come on,you know you want to! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif