PDA

View Full Version : MLB failure of the year?

LWW
06-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Even though his number have increased from miserable to mediocre, my vote old have to go to Albert Pujols.

When one signs the most lucrative contract in the history of the sport and responds what is, lost at the halfway point, far and away the orst year of their career ... failure is the only possible definition.

eg8r
06-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Give him time. Sure he is expected to produce, but hopefully this is just a down year.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
06-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Not a baseball fan enough to know jack, but I nominate the Marlins (as a team).

Started well, crashing and burning, with the bullpen unable to hold leads for many games in a row (although they did hold one lead earlier this week).

Maybe that doesn't rise to the level of all-MLB failure, but in the face of something like a $500 million dollar cadge from Miami-Dade county for that new stadium, more than terrible ball was due from them.

LWW
06-30-2012, 02:15 AM
A stadium doesn't make a team.

That being said, they are currently 36-40 which would represent a reasonable improvement, assuming they continue this pace all year, over last year's 72-90

Soflasnapper
06-30-2012, 10:42 AM
I think that is the result of one good month, and then, general failure, so the trend isn't as good as the net result looks to date.

Talk in the town of trading Hanley Ramirez, the one star player of note (who is doing terrible).

LWW
06-30-2012, 10:52 AM
They should have traded Hanley in the off season.

Soflasnapper
07-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Probably true, but then they'd be lacking in alleged star power to fuel the attendance at the luxurious new ballpark (with atrocious parking arrangements, is the word down here).

LWW
07-02-2012, 02:36 AM
I don't think MLB will draw average or above average attendance numbers in Florida no matter what they do.

Soflasnapper
07-02-2012, 10:33 AM
You are correct!

South Florida fans are front-runners, bandwagon effect fans, except for the Dolphins for years (and now their long record of poor play threatens even that fairly consistent loyal fan base).

So, IF the Marlins get to, and advance in, the playoffs, eventually that place will fill up. But not until then, and not even if they are in a hot pennant race before the playoffs.

That's the history down here. Even in the two years the Marlins won the World Series, attendance was poor until the very end of the season.

sack316
07-03-2012, 02:29 AM
I'm going with the Phillies on this one.

Sack

LWW
07-03-2012, 02:50 AM
As far as a full team, the Phillies have been a huge disappointment.

sack316
07-03-2012, 07:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as a full team, the Phillies have been a huge disappointment. </div></div>

Yeah my Aunt lives up that way so I get to hear her frustration pretty regularly /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I tell her that's why it's best to be a Cub fan... we never have any hopes that exist to can be dashed!

Sack