PDA

View Full Version : How hot was it yesterday?

LWW
06-29-2012, 09:21 AM
I saw 108 on my truck thermometer, 109 on a bank thermometer/clock ign and 110 on a friend's yard thermometer.

eg8r
06-29-2012, 09:37 AM
It wasn't above 50 for the past month I was in England. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I tried to not complain too much about the weather knowing it would be warm when I got home.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
06-29-2012, 02:07 PM
That data differs, but lies within a good cluster pattern. Good darts!!

Without committing to any of those numbers, damn hot, I'd say!!!

Over 1,000 new high records across the country in the last couple of weeks, and JUNE is not the normal month for record highs.

They say records are made to be broken. We'll see many such records broken the rest of the summer, imo.

Sev
06-29-2012, 07:54 PM
100 hear today.

Soflasnapper
06-30-2012, 11:07 AM
We're in the low to mid-90 range, but it's hotter because it's a wet heat.

Thank God we are in a cooling period, huh?

From a Drudge link on today's page:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Heat Wave Smashing All-Time Records
Alex Sosnowski
By Alex Sosnowski, Expert Senior Meteorologist
Jun 30, 2012; 12:12 PM ET

High temperature records have been falling by the wayside so far this year, and the current heat wave now has more, including all-time records in jeopardy.

Never mind highs near 100 degrees. The current heat wave has temperatures pushing 102, 105 even 108 degrees in portions of the Plains, Midwest, South and East.

Meteorologist DJ Hoffman pointed out that as of Thursday, June 28, 2012, more than 20,900 record highs have been broken to date this year.

"We have had over 7,700 more record highs this year, compared to last year, despite 2011's South Central states heat and drought," Hoffman said.

The temperature pattern this year got a jump start from way back at the tail end of the winter. Multiple days of record highs were set from the central Plains and Rockies to the Great Lakes during March. Chicago had nine days in a row of record highs spanning March 14 to 22.

Indianapolis came within 3 degrees of tying their all-time record high of 107 degrees during Thursday with a high of 104 degrees. </div></div>

LWW
06-30-2012, 11:46 AM
"ALL TIME HIGHS" for weather stations open since 1862 ... rare indeed mean very little as they represent a whopping 2.5% of the time since the pyramids and .000000003% of the age of the planet.

Records at stations open less than 50 years ... nearly all of the "ALL TIME HIGHS" referenced ... mean nothing more than Goremons spouting junk science.

And here I thought you wanted records and relevance.

Sev
06-30-2012, 01:55 PM
103.1 here.

LWW
07-01-2012, 02:16 AM
We're talking weather here, not FM stations.

Soflasnapper
07-01-2012, 12:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"ALL TIME HIGHS" for weather stations open since 1862 ... rare indeed mean very little as they represent a whopping 2.5% of the time since the pyramids and .000000003% of the age of the planet.

Records at stations open less than 50 years ... nearly all of the "ALL TIME HIGHS" referenced ... mean nothing more than Goremons spouting junk science.

And here I thought you wanted records and relevance. </div></div>

I admit the 'all-time' record highs refers to the limited period for which these temps have been recorded. Which makes no difference.

As for junk science, tell all those people baking in the 100+ heat so early in the summer, and tell the people in the DC area how they were not hit by that immense storm.

Fact is, based on what people can see and feel on their own, there has been a dramatic shift recently in the sentiment concerning AGW theory, which is astounding, given the very powerful propaganda put to the opposite point, which had been prevailing in creating doubt about this for the last decade of polling or so. People are finally getting it, from their own experiences.

The other fact is that the supposed peak of the earth's temperature achieved back some years now, that allegedly shows cooling since that time, has been re-achieved for a tie with that very high unusual year. Thus, reaffirming the peak, and if this were a technical analysis of a financial market, showing the upward trend is intact, or at least certainly, that there is no trend downwards.

The difference is that in the PRIOR peak temperature year, there was a solar maximum going on, and a strong El Nino. In this tieing year, there is a solar minimum going on, and a La Nina cooling event going on. So instead of unusual (but transitory) warming effects on top of the trend as in that prior year, boosting it, we have the contrary unusual (but transitory) cooling effects reducing temps from the trendline, and still have the same (local) maximum.

LWW
07-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Tell them what?

That it's been hot but not a record heat wave?

OK ... it's been hot but not a record heat wave.

I love how the Goremons explain that every time we have a cold winter it's just weather and doesn't disprove the teaching Saint Albert of Green Acres ... Peace Prize be upon him ... yet every time it's hot it somehow is proof positive that capitalim is burning the Oit to a crisp.

Soflasnapper
07-02-2012, 10:40 AM
So why do you think the opposite approach is sound?

That's the anti-Gore cry: hey, it was cold in the winter, so...

Frankly, this is not about him at all. That's a convenient Alinsky tactic-- fix it, freeze it, make it all about one person, and then ridicule the hell out of him instead of having to make any actual arguments.

Gore is FAT!!! Gore takes AIRPLANES!!! He has a large HOUSE!!! OMG!!! Did you see THAT BEARD!!!!

Easier than telling people not to believe what they are experiencing.

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/545158_488265604533425_1054727634_n.jpg

LWW
07-02-2012, 12:33 PM
I've never doubted GW has happened.

What I see no evidence of is the idea that the warming of the last 150 years proves that capitalism is th use, and that the warming of the preceding ... pre industrial age ... 100,000 years is irrelevant.

As to whether or not GW is continuing ... that is truly unknowable in the present. I suspect that long term it probably is.

The question being ignored is how do we adapt and prepare. Te belief that we can actually stop it, assuming it is ongoing, is simply madness.

Soflasnapper
07-02-2012, 02:08 PM
The worst case scenario is that various positive feedback mechanisms take this from somewhat calamitous warming (some few degrees of Centigrade) to way f-ing too hot for human life (as in double digit degrees of C increase in a runaway heat increase).

That is so bad a potential outcome as to threaten the survival of the human species, let alone its civilizations.

Absent guarantees that it cannot and will not happen, which cannot really be given, that is a risk for which a strong multi-generational effort must be mounted, even if the sources for that warming are non-anthropomorphic.

Simply having house and other building roofs painted white, or turned white with organic light emitting diode emulsions (that can turn any color) has been calculated to cause enough albedo increase to be the equivalent of taking some huge number of automobiles' current average emissions out of the equation.

There are things that can be done on the margin, and economically.

I favor a strong demand under eminent domain to bring back suppressed energy technologies back into the public, from wherever it is that the energy and transportation companies have hidden them away.

LWW
07-03-2012, 05:05 AM
I think you meant anthropogenic ... but I agree that we should be concerned about how the species survives calamity and not how we do what is impossible.

The main part where I separate myself from te Goremons is their hatred of capitalism.

If you look at what drives longer life expectancy, clean air, clean water, potable water, sanitation, heating and cooling devices, modern medicine, crop production and many more things ... it is capitalism and the energy of capitalism is oil.

OTOH when we look at nations where basic sanitation, potable water, crop production, and medical are are at their worst ... we find economies ran by the state oligarchy.

In short, the Goremons promote the ideology most likely to destroy their stated goals, while fighting against the ideology most likely to achieve these very same goals.

And, FWIW, I am far more of a true environmentalist than almost all of the Goremons.

Sev
07-03-2012, 05:46 AM
HAHAHA!!!
Good one. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

LWW
07-03-2012, 06:11 AM
Thanks ... but it's no different Han what I've always said here, unlike Goremons piddling around X gallons per mile motor yachts lamenting how the proles refuse to turn theit thermostat down to 62 in the winter and up to 78 in the summer.

Soflasnapper
07-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Yes, anthropogenic, and thanks for the correction. I regret that error.

The problem with the capitalism in this regard is that the highly concentrated cartel arrangements of the oil industry count in most peoples' eyes AS CAPITALISM (although it's a fixed market, not a free market at all).

For their narrow profit interests, this cartelized market sector blocks all kinds of sensible efforts to reduce consumption (which would lower their profit level), or to reduce their ability to profit in the futures market (accounting for some 30% of the spot market price, due to speculation), and etc.

And they are dedicated to getting the last dollar for their last recoverable barrel, and willing to block development of alternative energy sources to assure that they will.