PDA

View Full Version : What glue to use?

10-03-2002, 05:43 PM
To you custom cue makers and long time tip installers out there, what glue do you feel works best with Ivorine III ferrules and what works best with Ivory ferrules?

I've always used Tweeten 10 Minute Cement for my one-piece Dufferins with their fiber ferrules, but now that it's my expensive cues and different ferrule material the Tweeten has to go. Besides, it dries up so quickly once it's opened and kept for any period of time.

Tony Jones of Talisman said he was told Loctite 454 works well for hard tips, at least with Ivorine III ferrules, but I'm wondering if you custom cue makers use 5-minute epoxy for everything? It seems like that would be sufficient.

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Best,
Bob

Troy
10-03-2002, 08:08 PM
Bob... I have used Duro Gel for years without fail. When it's not available I use Loctite 454. By the way, Duro is made by Loctite.

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: fightingbob:</font><hr> To you custom cue makers and long time tip installers out there, what glue do you feel works best with Ivorine III ferrules and what works best with Ivory ferrules?

I've always used Tweeten 10 Minute Cement for my one-piece Dufferins with their fiber ferrules, but now that it's my expensive cues and different ferrule material the Tweeten has to go. Besides, it dries up so quickly once it's opened and kept for any period of time.

Tony Jones of Talisman said he was told Loctite 454 works well for hard tips, at least with Ivorine III ferrules, but I'm wondering if you custom cue makers use 5-minute epoxy for everything? It seems like that would be sufficient.

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Best,
Bob <hr></blockquote>

TalismanTony
10-03-2002, 08:22 PM
Hi Bob,

If you haven't already, you should take a look at the thread "Bunjee tips falling off"

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=38984&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=0&amp;fpart= (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=38984&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=0&amp;fpart=)

Spiderman talks about using epxoy glue, successfully.

Kind regards,

BLACKHEART
10-03-2002, 10:19 PM
I do about 1500 tip a year &amp; use DURO SUPER GLUE GEL for everything...JER

Tom_In_Cincy
10-03-2002, 11:10 PM
When the product description says.. good for wood and leather.. I bought it the first time I saw it.. about 13 years ago.. been using it ever since..

BillPorter
10-04-2002, 07:42 AM
Bob,

I have to second what several other posters have said already. I cast my vote for Duro Super Glue Gel. I've used it on a variety of tips, including hard Water Buffalo tips, Talismans, Le Pros, etc. and never had a tip come off yet.

SpiderMan
10-04-2002, 09:24 AM
I do favor the slow-cure epoxy, but keep in mind it's not for the guy doing tips as a livelihood because of the time factor. Whatever adhesive you use, you must have a correct and repeatable process for utilizing it and getting good results. I've used it a long time, and know exactly what to do for perfect results.

Many of the new "super glue" gels are probably adequate for tip work if used properly. But like anything, your process must be good. We have a local tip guy of some repute who superglues 'em on and mashes the tip down into the carpet to set while he leans on it and carries on a conversation. Could work, but not very well-controlled. I've replaced several of his tips that had gaps and air pockets, and know several players who've had them fly off during a game.

Whatever you use, learn what it takes to optimize the results. Then do it that way every time.

I'm thinking of doing tipping for house cues in some of my local hangouts. If I do, then I'll make the switch to quickset adhesives. But, before I do any work for a customer, I'll give my process a thorough wringing-out on my own equipment, and abuse the tips enough to be sure they won't give problems.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TalismanTony:</font><hr> Hi Bob,

If you haven't already, you should take a look at the thread "Bunjee tips falling off"

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=38984&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=0&amp;fpart= (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=38984&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=0&amp;fpart=)

Spiderman talks about using epxoy glue, successfully.

Kind regards,

<hr></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
10-04-2002, 11:40 AM
JER...Do you have 1-2-3 tips for the application of the Duro Gel? I realy suck at adhesives and I am going to play around with tip installs this weekend(first installs for me), so any help ahead of time is greatly appreciated. Btw, I am practicing on some really beat up 1-piece cues...still I'd like to get ahead of the install game if I could by getting the glue hints...sid

Troy
10-04-2002, 08:06 PM
You asked Jer, but I'll give you my method ---

1. Prep back of tip and end of shaft with 60 grit.
2. With razor knife, score tip &amp; shaft, I put a tic-tac-toe pattern.
3. Apply enough Gel to tip to cover completely. Don't go crazy here, just enough.
4. Affix tip to shaft, press &amp; hold for about 20-30 seconds.
5. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
6. Wipe excess glue from edge of tip/ferrule.
7. Let it sit for another 2-3 minutes.
8. Trim, Burnish, Shape, etc...

Note : For layered tips, I wait a minimum of 1-2 hours after burnishing prior to shaping to allow the layer adhesive to re-set. I don't know if this helps, but it works for me.

Troy...~~~ Giving away tricks it took me time to learn..... No charge... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> JER...Do you have 1-2-3 tips for the application of the Duro Gel? I realy suck at adhesives and I am going to play around with tip installs this weekend(first installs for me), so any help ahead of time is greatly appreciated. Btw, I am practicing on some really beat up 1-piece cues...still I'd like to get ahead of the install game if I could by getting the glue hints...sid <hr></blockquote>

10-06-2002, 03:49 PM
This is for all who responded:

It seems that there are two schools, the super glue school and the epoxy school. Confused as to what's best, I asked Dave Kikel, a fairly well known custom cue maker (and really nice guy, I might add), what he uses when he finishes his cues. He said 15 minute epoxy has always worked for him, and that he has never had anyone return a shaft because a tip fell off. Of course, he's not talking about hard tips, but things like LePros. So it sounds like Spiderman has it down pat with his 8-hour epoxy.

I also asked Dave what he thought about the Super Glue gels. He had never used them but didn't like the idea because cyanoacrylate crystallizes, becoming very hard and brittle. This is the problem the anonymous poster had with his Bunjee tip. Of course, a lot of you have been using Super Glue for years without problems, so who can argue with success.

Anyway, I want to thank all of you for your responses. This puts me on the right track.

Best regards,
Bob

Troy
10-06-2002, 05:56 PM
Well Bob, regular Super Glue will become hard and brittle, but my experience is that Duro Gel does not.

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: fightingbob:</font><hr> This is for all who responded:
I also asked Dave what he thought about the Super Glue gels. He had never used them but didn't like the idea because cyanoacrylate crystallizes, becoming very hard and brittle. This is the problem the anonymous poster had with his Bunjee tip. Of course, a lot of you have been using Super Glue for years without problems, so who can argue with success.

Anyway, I want to thank all of you for your responses. This puts me on the right track.

Best regards,
Bob <hr></blockquote>

10-06-2002, 08:05 PM
EXACTLY! same with Loctite 454.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Troy:</font><hr> Well Bob, regular Super Glue will become hard and brittle, but my experience is that Duro Gel does not.

Troy

&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: fightingbob:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; This is for all who responded:

Best regards,
Bob &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt; <hr></blockquote>

TonyM
10-06-2002, 08:35 PM
Same glue for Ivory, Ivorene, Aegis, and any other thermoset or natural ferrule materials.

For installing tips I like the Loctite products. I also will use any decent gel cyanoacrylate like "Zap a Gap", "Hot Stuff", "Zip", and so on. Check with a local Hobby shop that sells model airplane supplies.

I rarely use 5 minute epoxy, except to bond ferrules to shafts and that sort of thing.

Tony

TonyM
10-06-2002, 08:42 PM
Many cue makers are loathe to change anything if it works. They often have a deap set "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality.

Years agao there might have been an issue with cyanoacrylates crystallizing. I've been using Ca's for over 20 years with my model aircraft.

The good CA's are now considered "industrial" grade adhesives for many idustries. Use a good quality CA, and you will not have a problem.

No disrespect to mr. Kikel, but he does not have current info on CA's.

Tony
-CA and epoxy user for many years....