PDA

View Full Version : Political Conservatism a Mild Form of Insanity?

DiabloViejo
06-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Is Political Conservatism a Mild Form of Insanity?
Death Fear (among other unsavory attributes) Predicts Republicanism
Published on September 6, 2008 by William Todd Schultz, Ph.D. in Genius and Madness
Psychology Today (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/genius-and-madness/200809/is-political-conservatism-mild-form-insanity)

A few years ago I was standing on the deck of a beach house on the 4th of July and a person who had obviously drunk too much told me, “The secret of my life is that I always need someone to hate.”
I was reminded of this exchange while watching the stupendously ruthless Republican National Convention over the last several days. Is there anything that conservatives do not hate? Maybe drilling. In fact, they appear utterly phallically obsessed with drilling (a practice that, in about 10 years or so, might reduce gas prices by 2 or 3 cents per gallon). But otherwise, what we learned from the recent hatefest is that Republicans hate community organizers, liberals (surprise!), Madonna, the “east coast elite,” the “angry left” media, trial lawyers, people who are too smart, people who are “cosmopolitan”—the list goes on into eternity.

Listening to this litany on Wednesday night in particular reminded me of a research article that came out roughly 5 years ago on political conservatism and motivated social cognition (Jost, Glaser, Kruglanski & Sulloway, “Political Conservatism as Motivated Social Cognition,” Psychological Bulletin). In a nutshell, the article—by Stanford and UC Berkeley researchers—seems to suggest that conservatism is a mild form of insanity.

Here are the facts. A meta-analysis culled from 88 samples in 12 countries, and with an N of 22,818, revealed that <span style="color: #000099">“several psychological variables predicted political conservatism.” Which variables exactly? In order of predictive power: Death anxiety, system instability, dogmatism/intolerance of ambiguity, closed-mindedness, low tolerance of uncertainty, high needs for order, structure, and closure, low integrative complexity, fear of threat and loss, and low self-esteem. The researchers conclude, a little chillingly, that “the core ideology of conservatism stresses resistance to change and a justification of inequality.”
</span>
The above list of variables is more than a little unsavory. We are talking about someone full of fear, with a poor sense of self, and a lack of mental dexterity. I always tell my students that tolerance of ambiguity is one especially excellent mark of psychological maturity. It isn’t a black and white world. According to the research, conservatives possess precisely the opposite: an intolerance of ambiguity and an inability to deal with complexity. Maybe that’s one reason why Obama seems so distasteful to them: he is a nuanced, multi-faceted thinker who can see things from several different perspectives simultaneously. And he isn’t preaching fear, either.

http://madmikesamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Cartoon-GOP-Base-Stench.gif

DiabloViejo
06-30-2012, 10:42 PM
BBTTT

sack316
06-30-2012, 11:30 PM
http://faculty.virginia.edu/haidtlab/jost.glaser.political-conservatism-as-motivated-social-cog.pdf

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

LWW
07-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Whenever someone speaks of "RIGHT WING AUTHORITARIANISM" they have lost the discussion immediately.

DiabloViejo
07-01-2012, 02:00 AM
LMAO, obviously you did not even bother to so much as skim thru the article at the link he provided, for if you had, you'd note that it pretty much supports what the original article I linked to states.

BTW, what's the matter Larry? Does it hurt you to have those mean PhD level psychologists point out that authoritarianism is one of the defining aspects of right wing mental disorder? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Now please go back and read the entire article that Sack posted and then you can shoot your mouth off. (Not that it will make any difference as you are suffering from severe cognitive dissonance and cannot accept anything that does not fit into your idiotic constructs.) Why do you suppose that is, Larry? Could it be that you are consumed by fear, are resistant to change, value inequality, and are threatened by new or different ideas? Or could it be that you are just plain 'nucking futs'? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Take your Thorazine, Larry. It will quiet the voices in your head!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/2m8BXUfri6lagr3j7q918Gal_r2_500.jpg

http://www.network54.com/Realm/peageepics/thorazine2.jpg

LWW
07-01-2012, 02:19 AM
Authoritarianism is a left wing trait.

You are more likely to find a unicorn than you are to find a ministate/anarchist authoritarian.

But I have an advantage in that I know what the words I use actually mean.

DiabloViejo
07-01-2012, 02:33 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Authoritarianism is a left wing trait.

You are more likely to find a unicorn than you are to find a ministate/anarchist authoritarian.

But I have an advantage in that I know what the words I use actually mean. </div></div>

BWAHAHAHAHA! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

<span style='font-size: 14pt'><span style="color: #000099">Larry, you don't know your</span></span>
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cGN9ITEYjDw/TWB-STkd1RI/AAAAAAAAA6g/1CXIyW3Scnw/s1600/donkeyf.jpg

<span style='font-size: 14pt'><span style="color: #000099">From a..</span></span>
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070206165716/uncyclopedia/images/1/18/Hole_In_The_Ground.JPG

LWW
07-01-2012, 02:42 AM
Nobody thought you old argue your point on it's merits.

DiabloViejo
07-01-2012, 02:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nobody thought you old argue your point on it's merits. </div></div>

Oh yeah, just like you do! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Qtec
07-01-2012, 05:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Authoritarianism is a left wing trait. </div></div>

Who is it that wants to force women to have an ultrasound before an abortion?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It might be time for Republicans to take a look back at their own record of health care legislation that they did like — and that <span style='font-size: 14pt'>forced American people, particularly women, into a lot of things:</span>

Forcing women to get transvaginal ultrasounds: Virginia Gov. Bob McDonald wanted to force every woman seeking an abortion to go through the extremely uncomfortable and medically unnecessary procedure of a transvaginal ultrasound — sticking a medical wand far into a woman’s vagina to get a clearer ultrasound image. </div></div>

NO CHOICE. ie <span style='font-size: 20pt'>Authoritarianism</span>

Give an example of LW Authoritarianism under Obama.

Q

Gayle in MD
07-01-2012, 11:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Authoritarianism is a left wing trait. </div></div>

Who is it that wants to force women to have an ultrasound before an abortion?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It might be time for Republicans to take a look back at their own record of health care legislation that they did like — and that <span style='font-size: 14pt'>forced American people, particularly women, into a lot of things:</span>

Forcing women to get transvaginal ultrasounds: Virginia Gov. Bob McDonald wanted to force every woman seeking an abortion to go through the extremely uncomfortable and medically unnecessary procedure of a transvaginal ultrasound — sticking a medical wand far into a woman’s vagina to get a clearer ultrasound image. </div></div>

NO CHOICE. ie <span style='font-size: 20pt'>Authoritarianism</span>

Give an example of LW Authoritarianism under Obama.

Q </div></div>

You'd think by now that the right would have figured out that the Repiglicans always accuse the other side, of the very transgressions which they are themselves known for committing!

How many times can they give a bye to every crook in their party, by saying he is acting like a Liberal, before their supporters realize what that game is really all about!

There is only one party in the world, that denies global warming and its inherent threats, denies how old this world is, denies the Theory Of Evolution, and spending all its time controlling vaginas!

Repiglicans are quickly gaining a reputation for destroying jobs and job opportunites, sending jobs and money offshore, and destroy human rights!

They only get worse, as time goes by.

Soflasnapper
07-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Short answer, sure.

Longer answer, it's one variant chosen or stumbled into perhaps by a population with fairly widespread significant psychological problems.

Others with psychological damage may choose other ways to act out, and many of them may be on the opposite side of the ideological divide, closer politically to our way of thinking.

Our flawed society and its many contradictions lead to widespread depression, use of psycho-active drugs both legal and illegal, other methods of self-medicating (beside the 2-minute hate you get by any random 2-minute viewing of FoxNews), large numbers of suicide and murder, and etc.

Don't underestimate the need to be in a group, and the ways that tribalism (which can be of many stripes) requires one to check one's thinking at the door to continue to be in that tribe.

Gayle in MD
07-01-2012, 12:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short answer, sure.

Longer answer, it's one variant chosen or stumbled into perhaps by a population with fairly widespread significant psychological problems.

Others with psychological damage may choose other ways to act out, and many of them may be on the opposite side of the ideological divide, closer politically to our way of thinking.

Our flawed society and its many contradictions lead to widespread depression, use of psycho-active drugs both legal and illegal, other methods of self-medicating (beside the 2-minute hate you get by any random 2-minute viewing of FoxNews), large numbers of suicide and murder, and etc.

Don't underestimate the need to be in a group, and the ways that tribalism (which can be of many stripes) requires one to check one's thinking at the door to continue to be in that tribe. </div></div>

The illness of the right is undeniable.

Their philosophies are based on the ideology that greed is good, corruption and law breaking are fine, as long as you don't get caught, the hungry and the ill should die, they are weak, and should naturally be weeded out as a process of natural selection, the poor caused their own poverty, they were lazy, the gays should be shot, women should have no equal rights whatsoever, all who were victims of thieves, have no one but themselves to blame, even though they were lied to from the start by crooks.

I can't defend in any manner, any of the Repiglican ideologies. None of them are based on the decision to think things through, to an ultimate conclusion of good over evil, nor of thoughtful reason over irrationality, nor of doing what is best for the common man...

That's why I call them pigs. They act like Pigs!

G.