PDA

View Full Version : Right vs Left Wing Humor

llotter
07-02-2012, 09:58 AM
I may be biased a bit but looking at some of the Right and Left Wing posts as examples of humor in the two recent threads having the most entries, I sense a distinct difference that shows up.

Most of the entries on from the Left are nasty, mean-spirited and spiteful and really not funny at all. Has anyone else picked up on this?

Soflasnapper
07-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Where you stand on that issue depends upon where you sat, originally.

I agree in an unusual way, which is the opposite of your statement.

Perhaps it's a little unfair, as op/ed cartoons are broad brush caricatures that always exaggerate to make their points. That's their function-- not to make sound arguments, but to point to alleged ironies or alleged contradictions in their subject matter.

I'm typically almost motivated to spend time disagreeing with the point of view of the right side cartoons, but thankfully I hold myself back. (It would be an endless task, for one thing.) And after all, it is HUMOR, and not intended to be a serious argument being made.

Whether the exaggerations and distortions strike one as more true than false, and whether one enjoys them as supporting your politics, is a personal reaction, as you yourself hint at.

Gayle in MD
07-02-2012, 10:25 AM
As Nora Ephron used to say about Fux Noise, 'why would I turn on that station when I know it's going to make me mad' and I agree.

LOL, I don't think I've ever read that rightie Obama bashing thread! But I Love, Love, Love the one Diablo has going! Cracks me up every time!

Nora is a gal after my own heart. I'd never turn on Fux, either...lol enough of it slips out anyway, (usually because it's so outrageous) that I can't avoid seeing. But, Seek it out? NEVER!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

G.

LWW
07-03-2012, 06:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may be biased a bit but looking at some of the Right and Left Wing posts as examples of humor in the two recent threads having the most entries, I sense a distinct difference that shows up.

Most of the entries on from the Left are nasty, mean-spirited and spiteful and really not funny at all. Has anyone else picked up on this? </div></div>

And they go into such spittle spewing rages of racism charges that they pee in their own if you retell old Bush jokes recast as Obama jokes.

Quite a curious lot they are. Breaking the forum rule against profanity and bragging of teir own closed minded nature ... as if either were something to be proud of.

eg8r
07-03-2012, 07:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And after all, it is HUMOR, and not intended to be a serious argument being made. </div></div>LOL and this is why I can stomach Jon Stewart.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
07-04-2012, 11:55 AM
That's also why for years I was able to stomach Rush.

Long ago, it seems, he wasn't as angry, and more mischievous, especially with the Paul Shanklin voice/song parodies.

Those were actually hilarious, frequently.

Don't hear him more than a couple minutes a day now at most, so I don't know if he's retired Shanklin, or if Shanklin's retired himself, or if he still uses that guy's work.

eg8r
07-04-2012, 08:37 PM
I don't think I have ever even heard an entire show. About all I hear of him is when he is controversial enough for people to post videos about something he said. As far as a real comic Jon Stewart does a good job.

eg8r