PDA

View Full Version : My baby update...

sack316
07-03-2012, 02:09 AM
Here ya go Gayle... I know you've asked me a few times for an update, apologies for not getting around to it sooner.

Samuel is still doing well. He was moved from Children's NICU to the RNICU at UAB hospital several weeks back. It is SO nice there, and he has his own room and everything! It is the largest NICU in the country, if I am not mistaken.

He has been gaining weight well lately. He has been off oxygen for a couple of weeks now. He's also holding his temperature on his own, so they should be able to try him out in a crib soon.

The main struggle is for him to get consistent on his feeds. With his heart condition he can get worn out rather quickly. So sometimes he will take a full bottle, sometimes it may be as low as 10 CC's. But considering all of his conditions, EVERY person on the medical staff is amazed at how well he can do.

And he is STRONG I tell ya. He will grab your finger and hold it tight or pull it to his face. Then when he's done he'll toss it away lol. The downside to that is he is so strong and smart that he gets himself out of his swaddle. And no matter how much tape they use to secure his feeding tube, he'll always manage to find a way to yank it out.

But once he can consistently take his feedings by mouth, and if he can continue to do well holding his temps then we'll get to bring him home /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif At that point he'll just be seen about every other week for checkups until he has his heart surgery (which ideally will be done when he is about 6 months old).

Oh, and much like his Daddy he is quite the ladies man. Every nurse always tries to sign up to watch him on their shifts. Even if they don't get him, they still come in to see him and visit with him because they all think he is so cute and sweet.

Guess that's most of it (or as best I can think of at 3 in the morning when I can't sleep lol)

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and prayers... keep 'em coming so I can get my baby boy home! I sure am tired to driving back and forth to Birmingham every day /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

LWW
07-03-2012, 02:47 AM
He is in my prayers.

Gayle in MD
07-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Got my crying again.

I am so thankful to hear all of this good news.

Trust me, you are all on my mind daily, and in my heart.

Take it easy my friend....and thank you for the up-date....I don't really use Facebok very much, so I was trying to catch you while you were here on impluse....although I have checked up on facebook as well.

Love,
G.

Sev
07-03-2012, 07:10 AM
Glad all is well sack

eg8r
07-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Yeah man, I have been following along. It is good to hear the good news for sure.

eg8r