PDA

View Full Version : Break Cue

MOE
07-04-2012, 05:45 PM
I am new to this forum, and this may have been discussed before, but I could not find it in a search of the internet. Is there anywhere or anyone that has done a comparison of the current crop of Break cues? I am thinking of buying one or maybe just a shaft to fit one of my other cues. I have been using a 21 oz. cheap cue that came in a set of five that I bought for play on my home table by friends that do not own their own cue. It has a very hard 13mm tip. I can get a good scatter and sometimes make a ball or two on the break, but seem to leave a cluster in the middle around the 8 ball. Couple of weeks ago, I got out my old college stick and a Predator 1st generation shaft I had for it. It weighs 20 oz. It seems to make balls on the break better and more often, but still often have the cluster around the 8. I have pretty well narrowed my choices to an OB shaft or McDermott Big Boy shaft to fit one of my old cues. Or buying a complete OB cue, Lucasi Big Beulah 2, or Thor Hammer. Would like to know if there is any advantage to trying something else, or any gain in buying a complete cue over just a shaft? Sorry for the long winded post.

poolplyr
07-04-2012, 09:33 PM
I posted a similar question last month. It was titled "best break cues"? I ended up buying a Predator BK2. I love it

Rich R.
07-05-2012, 04:17 AM
You may want to work on your technique a little more before investing in a new cue. The cue won't make that much difference.

JimmysEgo
07-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Try a different rack, especially if you are using a plastic rack, or cheap, old wooden rack. If you are clustering around the 8 constantly, your balls might not be racking tight.

Also, Are you trying to hit the head ball full on? You might want to try to place the cue ball close to the side rail and hit the second ball in the rack (behind the head ball). See how that works for you.

enjoydgame
10-31-2012, 01:43 AM
I donít think that buying another queue would serve your need. The thing which matters most is the power level of a stroke along with the right technique. I would suggest you to practice more on the speed level of your break stroke.

Sid_Vicious
11-01-2012, 12:34 PM
The two best break cues I know of? A wall cue or my play cue, which is what I break with. I own several breakers and my play cue(s) gets the best job done. It is fairly easy to find a good wall cue though. Break cues are over rated IMO.

My play cue does have an OB shaft with a Le Pro tip, and the tip has not deformed after months of breaking, no shaping required. I do have a second shaft set up the same way IF an emergency happened. It's been 2 years since I stressed over a break cue. I don't worry about it anymore. I used to, hence I own a few breakers gathering dust. A good wall cue fits the bill, but they don't all hit the same. Proper selection is the key.

I have read good things about Lucasi's breaker though. sid

Rich R.
11-02-2012, 07:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The two best break cues I know of? A wall cue or my play cue, which is what I break with. I own several breakers and my play cue(s) gets the best job done. It is fairly easy to find a good wall cue though. Break cues are over rated IMO.

My play cue does have an OB shaft with a Le Pro tip, and the tip has not deformed after months of breaking, no shaping required. I do have a second shaft set up the same way IF an emergency happened. It's been 2 years since I stressed over a break cue. I don't worry about it anymore. I used to, hence I own a few breakers gathering dust. A good wall cue fits the bill, but they don't all hit the same. Proper selection is the key.

I have read good things about Lucasi's breaker though. sid </div></div>
I have to disagree about your choices.

First of all, as you said, not all wall cues hit alike and, by the time you find the right one, you may be done playing for the day. Also, you may not be able to find that cue the next time you play. Having your own break cue is much more consistent.

Also, I don't like to use my playing cue for breaking. Not because I have this monster break and may damage the cue. Not because some of my playing cues have ivory ferrules and I'm afraid of breaking them. Not because I'm afraid of popping tips off. I have none of those fears. The reason I don't like breaking with my playing cue is because the tip tends to compress and get too hard for my taste. It's as simple as that. I've done it and I don't like the results.

I will continue to carry a break cue except when I go to the poolroom to play straight pool. I have a 1x2 case and I only carry one cue on those days.