PDA

View Full Version : 40,000 heat records already been broken this year

Qtec
07-08-2012, 03:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">40,000 heat records have already been broken this year across the United States, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Here in Fredericksburg, Virginia, the signs of an unbalanced climate system have been felt in recent years not just in heatwaves, but increasingly in the form of unusually severe wind storms. This past weekend’s storm brought 80 mph wind gusts that snapped three trees in our backyard like pretzels, even though they were each a foot thick. Once again, my insurance company is teaching me new weather terminolgy to explain the latest climate disasters. A few years ago, the term was “micro-bursts” (not quite tornadoes, but similar impact). Now it is “derecho” (not quite hurricanes, but similar impact).

</div></div>

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/chart751.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever you call it, we need to face up to the fact that our weather has turned dangerous because our climate is breaking down. Virginia has had 27 national disaster declarations due to storms in the past 20 years, three times as many as the prior 20 years. Meanwhile, wildfires and droughts are threatening people and wildlife elsewhere in the nation, particularly in the West, including the National Wildlife Federation’s staff in Colorado. More than two million acres have burned in U.S. wildfires already this year. Global warming has created longer wildfire seasons in the West due to heat and drought (warmer winters has also allowed pests to floursih, killing large numbers of pine trees that add fuel to the fires).

The current heat wave and climate disasters shouldn’t be catching us by surprise. Since the year 2000, we have witnessed nine of the ten hottest years ever recorded, according to NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies, which tracks global surface temperatures. The first three months of this year has been the warmest first quarter ever in the United States, and March was an alarming 8 degrees warmer than average. As the planet heats, weather patterns are destabilized. Warm air sucks more water from the ground and holds more water (about 4% more for every 1 degree F increase in temperature). That’s one of the reasons our warming planet has been creating historic droughts out West and dumping torrential rains in the Midwest (in Iowa, for example, there have been four “100-year” flood events in the past 5 years, and 17 emergency disaster declarations for floods in the past two decades).

Scary Weather is a Warning: We Need to Act

For the moment, we are paying attention to the weatherman, and the weather is scary. But the media is still asleep at the switch when it comes to reporting the real story: <span style='font-size: 14pt'> What is causing this climate to unravel?</span> </div></div>

Q

Sev
07-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Good. I like it hot.

As soon as I get my solar panel system in the power grids can fail.

Grapenut
07-08-2012, 06:12 AM
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad77/mdmeeks1010/Cookies.jpg

Nut

Gayle in MD
07-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Yet another example of how Republican policies of ignoring impending disaster in the interest of their own corporate collusion, greed, and corruption, Without Conscience, will cause further, even more horrendous disastrous consequences.

G.

Sev
07-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Right. The republicans are the problem in China and India as well as other developing and 3rd world nations.

What a bunch of malarkey.

Reduce the population of the planet to under 500,000,000 and keep it that way and the fictitious problem is solved.

Oh wait. Climate change wont cease to occur.

Soflasnapper
07-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Agree, but not in the way you mean.

We're probably past the tipping point to a runaway global warming, and mankind and human civilization is on a sub-200 year countdown to oblivion.

After some 100,000 years where there was no more than a 1 degree C variation in temps.

DiabloViejo
07-09-2012, 01:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right. The republicans are the problem in China and India as well as other developing and 3rd world nations.

Reduce the population of the planet to under 500,000,000 and keep it that way and the fictitious problem is solved.

Oh wait. Climate change wont cease to occur. </div></div>

<span style="color: #CC0000">Reducing the world population from 7.0 Billion to 0.5 Billion would mean<u> exterminating over 92% of the world’s population</u>. Why do you support this radical call to mass murder? I thought you right wingers were all for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness!

But it's the liberals who are crazy, huh? </span>

LWW
07-09-2012, 03:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After some 100,000 years where there was no more than a 1 degree C variation in temps. </div></div>

And this is why you believe scientifically unsound things ... you base your opinion on risibly false assumptions.

100,000 years ago the Earth was an ice ball?

In fact the 1 degree C we have gained since circa 1850 AD simply offsets the same 1 degree C that we lost during the little ice age of 1350 AD to 1850 AD.

IOW we are simply back where we were in the medieval warm period f 950 AD to 1250 AD.

That was preceded by another cool period known as the dark ages, and that cooling period was one of te key reasons the northern Euo barbarans descended upon Rome ... leading to collapse of civilzation and a millenium of plague and war for the survival of the species.

Why do you cheer for the doom of humanity?

Why do you ignore actual science and history?

Why do you prefer spoon fed junk science?

Why do you cling to the lies of the Goremon cult the way a drowning man clings to the thinnest of reeds?

Sev
07-09-2012, 05:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right. The republicans are the problem in China and India as well as other developing and 3rd world nations.

<span style="color: #CC0000">Reducing the world population from 7.0 Billion to 0.5 Billion would mean<u> exterminating over 92% of the world’s population</u>. Why do you support this radical call to mass murder? I thought you right wingers were all for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness!

But it's the liberals who are crazy, huh? </span> </div></div>

Please point out where I said to kill.

Sev
07-09-2012, 05:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agree, but not in the way you mean.

We're probably past the tipping point to a runaway global warming, and mankind and human civilization is on a sub-200 year countdown to oblivion.

After some 100,000 years where there was no more than a 1 degree C variation in temps. </div></div>

Incorrect.
The global temperature fluctuates all the time. We technically are still coming out of the last ice age. So it should be expected that yearly temps will rise naturally.

We should be more concerned about the toxins in the air, water and soil than CO2.

LWW
07-09-2012, 05:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right. The republicans are the problem in China and India as well as other developing and 3rd world nations.

But it's the liberals who are crazy, huh? </span> </div></div>

Please point out where I said to kill. </div></div>

He's using Alinskyism ... it's the stated goal of the green nazis to reduce, if not exterminate, the human species.

DiabloViejo
07-09-2012, 10:55 AM
<span style="color: #CC0000"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

He's using Alinskyism ... it's the stated goal of the green nazis to reduce, if not exterminate, the human species. [/quote]</span>

So you and Sev are radical "green Nazis"? Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Bottom line..there is no way to reduce the world population to 500 Million without a program of mass murder / extermination. You know it, I know it, and anyone with a functioning brain knows it.
Then again I have serious reservations about the critical thinking skills of your ilk. (Oh gee, is that more of that darned Alinsky-ism?)

You'd be better off getting advice from real experts and real studies than getting it from an inscription ordered to be placed on the Georgia Guidestones by an anonymous crackpot, or crackpots.

Gayle in MD
07-09-2012, 11:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right. The republicans are the problem in China and India as well as other developing and 3rd world nations.

<span style="color: #990000">I suppose you think that Republicans aren't trying to outlaw birth control with their 'personhood' legislation?

Trying to outlaw a woman's constitutional right to have an abortion?

Bush/Cheney didn't create the Halliburton Loophole, which protected energy corporate FRACKING, from having to reveal the toxic chemicals they are using, which poisons people, annimals, water and air?

I suppose you think that China, is as stupid as Republicans? They aren't. They realize what's coming, and they are spending loads of money on renewable fuels, unlike us, because Republicans protect OIL corporations. Republicans protect FRACKING. Republicans deny Global Warming, which is accepted as real and urgent, by 98% of the most respected scientists in the most respected international scientific organnization in the world.

Yes, Republicans have blocked everything that would address this very real threat, GLOBAL WARMING. It will lead to more violent weather. More Fires. More hurricanes. More tornadoes. More floods. Open your eyes, it's already happening.

Denying it at this point, is pure Kool Aid slurpping.

Go to C-span, and check out this weekend's book interviews, and read what the same NASA Scientist whose reports on Global Warming, were censored by W., and worse, he was a target of the Bush Admiistration, Hansen.

Get his book and read it:

Storms Of My Grandchildren.

We must invest in clean, renewable fuels. Who blocks it? Repiglicans, The Grand Oil Party. And, those blue dog Dems, from flyover states, who are on the take from Oil and coal.

Too much money and corporate bribery in politics, is now threatening the very existence of the planet, as we know it.

You can thank the RW radical, activist, fascist Supreme Court for that, as well.

There is a huge difference between normal Climate Changes, and threatening indications of Global Warming. Apparently you haven't read very much about it.

G.
</span>

Gayle in MD
07-09-2012, 11:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good. I like it hot.

As soon as I get my solar panel system in the power grids can fail. </div></div>

Good, glad you like it hot...is this hot enough for ya?

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/201...vOaQ78gP0.email (http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2012/06/27/colorado-wildfires-waldo-canyon-fire-colorado-springs/5732/#.T-vOaQ78gP0.email)

Sev
07-09-2012, 12:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #CC0000"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

He's using Alinskyism ... it's the stated goal of the green nazis to reduce, if not exterminate, the human species. </div></div></span>

Bottom line..there is no way to reduce the world population to 500 Million without a program of mass murder / extermination. You know it, I know it, and anyone with a functioning brain knows it.
Then again I have serious reservations about the critical thinking skills of your ilk. (Oh gee, is that more of that darned Alinsky-ism?)

You'd be better off getting advice from real experts and real studies than getting it from an inscription ordered to be placed on the Georgia Guidestones by an anonymous crackpot, or crackpots.

[/quote]

Your really becoming intellectually bereft aren't you.
Of course there is a way.

Sev
07-09-2012, 12:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good. I like it hot.

As soon as I get my solar panel system in the power grids can fail. </div></div>

Good, glad you like it hot...is this hot enough for ya?

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/201...vOaQ78gP0.email (http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2012/06/27/colorado-wildfires-waldo-canyon-fire-colorado-springs/5732/#.T-vOaQ78gP0.email)
</div></div>

Fire is the way the earth renews itself. Unfortunately humans are sometimes in its path.

Sev
07-09-2012, 12:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right. The republicans are the problem in China and India as well as other developing and 3rd world nations.

<span style="color: #990000">I suppose you think that Republicans aren't trying to outlaw birth control with their 'personhood' legislation?

Bush/Cheney didn't create the Halliburton Loophole, which protected energy corporate FRACKING, from having to reveal the toxic chemicals they are using, which poisons people, annimals, water and air?

I suppose you think that China, is as stupid as Republicans? They aren't. They realize what's coming, and they are spending loads of money on renewable fuels, unlike us, because Republicans protect OIL corporations. Republicans protect FRACKING. Republicans deny Global Warming, which is accepted as real and urgent, by 98% of the most respected scientists in the most respected international scientific organnization in the world.

Yes, Republicans have blocked everything that would address this very real threat, GLOBAL WARMING. It will lead to more violent weather. More Fires. More hurricanes. More tornadoes. More floods. Open your eyes, it's already happening.

Go to C-span, and check out this weekend's book interviews, and read what the same NASA Scientist whose reports on Global Warming, were censored by W., and worse, he was a target of the Bush Admiistration, Hansen.

We must invest in clean, renewable fuels. Who blocks it? Repiglicans, The Grand Oil Party. And, those blue dog Dems, from flyover states, who are on the take from Oil and coal.

Too much money and corporate bribery in politics, is now threatening the very existence of the planet, as we know it.

You can thank the RW radical, activist, fascist Supreme Court for that, as well.

There is a huge difference between normal Climate Changes, and threatening indications of Global Warming. Apparently you haven't read very much about it.

G.
</span> </div></div>

Oh the Chinese are quite stupid. At least the government is.
They are wallowing in their own sewer and the level of pollution is only increasing every day.

Weather happens and climatic patterns change. It is the way of the world.

Gayle in MD
07-09-2012, 12:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right. The republicans are the problem in China and India as well as other developing and 3rd world nations.

G.
</span> </div></div>

Oh the Chinese are quite stupid. At least the government is.
They are wallowing in their own sewer and the level of pollution is only increasing every day.

Weather happens and climatic patterns change. It is the way of the world. </div></div>

Yeah, you know more than 98% of Scientists who belong to the most respected International Scientific Organization in the world.

O'l Sev, the scientist. Just deny the overwhelming agreement of scientists all over the world, anything to protect Bib Filthy Oil and Coal, Fracking us into oblivion. Koch Brothers are so honorable!

LOL...

You righties are going to look pretty damned stupid as this disaster unfolds.

Trouble is, as with all misguided, corrupt Repiglican policies, others will pay as well, more innocent people dead and dying because of Repiglican corruption and greed.

G.

Sev
07-09-2012, 12:22 PM
So Gayle. From what do trees build their mass?

Gayle in MD
07-09-2012, 12:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So Gayle. From what do trees build their mass? </div></div>

Sev,
You don't really buy that Reagan's bs, do you? I won't even bother answering such a question.

Global Warming is a fact. It is man made.

I've read dozens of books on the subject. How many have you read?

Go out in the garage and suck your exhaust pipe for a few minutes, and see what that does for ya.

Pahleeeze! You're beginning to sound Bachmannized and Palinized.

G.

Sev
07-09-2012, 01:40 PM
So you dont know how trees grow then?

DiabloViejo
07-09-2012, 03:36 PM
<span style="color: #CC0000">Quote Sev: Your really becoming intellectually bereft aren't you.
Of course there is a way.</span>

First let me correct your grammar, you should have used you're, instead of your.

Now, since you have a wonderful solution, please don't be coy, and let's hear it!

I'm particularly interested in how you right wingers think you can reduce the population by over 92% without contraceptives and / or abortion. And I'd like to know how you, as a man who claims to love, love, love, freedom and liberty can tell us how you'd accomplish your goal without coordinated global authoritarian coercion. It should be easy for you to explain the plan to all of us..after all you're not intellectually bereft, like me, right?

BTW can you guys ever respond without resorting to ad-hominem nonsense? (Don't bother responding to that.. we already know the answer!)

Your "New World Order" masters are proud of you! The Kochs are even thinking of rewarding you by allowing you to provide them a massage (with release, of course)! They'll even give you some water tainted with fracking chemicals 'cause it's sooooo good for you. Hooray!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Sev
07-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Also point out where I said it was my stated goal.

I pointed out what the actual solution to the problem is.
Population reduction is the surest way to save the planet. It keeps human in balance with the rest of nature.

I'll let you do some thinking Fats old boy. A man smart as yourself should be able to figure out how to reduce the worlds population without committing murder or abortion.

DiabloViejo
07-09-2012, 10:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also point out where I said it was my stated goal.

Population reduction is the surest way to save the planet. It keeps human in balance with the rest of nature.

I'll let you do some thinking Fats old boy. A man smart as yourself should be able to figure out how to reduce the worlds population without committing murder or abortion. </div></div>

<span style="color: #000099">Translation: I haven't a clue because I don't know WTF I'm talking about, and I have no plan.</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

LWW
07-10-2012, 04:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #CC0000"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

He's using Alinskyism ... it's the stated goal of the green nazis to reduce, if not exterminate, the human species. </div></div></span>

[/quote]

What public education did to you should be a crime.

LWW
07-10-2012, 04:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="color: #000099">I haven't a clue because I don't know WTF I'm talking about, and I have no plan.</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

</div></div>

But ... I already knew that.

Sev
07-10-2012, 05:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also point out where I said it was my stated goal.

I'll let you do some thinking Fats old boy. A man smart as yourself should be able to figure out how to reduce the worlds population without committing murder or abortion. </div></div>

<span style="color: #000099">Translation: I haven't a clue because I don't know WTF I'm talking about, and I have no plan.</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

</div></div>

Poor Fats.
He just doesnt keep up with technology.

DiabloViejo
07-10-2012, 06:31 AM
It's a darn shame what NO EDUCATION did to you! No education, no manners, no morals, no shame, nothing of any substance, just a hollow shell pretending to be somebody while amounting to nothing. Manure is more beneficial than you.

DiabloViejo
07-10-2012, 06:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="color: #000099">I haven't a clue because I don't know WTF I'm talking about, and I have no plan.</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

</div></div>

But ... I already knew that. </div></div>

LOL, you are soooo lame! Apparently you are also incredibly stupid and think no one will notice that my quote was directed to Sev. Go have your metamucil and and crack your first bottle of cheap rotgut for the day. And fer chrissakes take a shower, change those skid marked skivvies, and get a job you lazy bum. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

DiabloViejo
07-10-2012, 06:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also point out where I said it was my stated goal.

</div></div>

Poor Fats.
He just doesnt keep up with technology. </div></div>

Why don't you tell us all about this technology you are referring to? Is it something you discovered on the alien craft when they probed your tush? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

LWW
07-10-2012, 07:01 AM
So Sev was with hondo when he had his clse encounter?

And here I never thought he had a witness..

Sev
07-10-2012, 07:09 AM
What??? What?????

LWW
07-10-2012, 02:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What??? What????? </div></div>

So you weren't at aitch's close encounter then.

I had figured he would have said so if you were.

It seems he tried to contact more than JohnnyD

Sev
07-10-2012, 04:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a darn shame what NO EDUCATION did to you! No education, no manners, no morals, no shame, nothing of any substance, just a hollow shell pretending to be somebody while amounting to nothing. Manure is more beneficial than you. </div></div>

Careful Old boy. You might give yourself an aneurism in your weakened state.

LWW
07-11-2012, 04:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a darn shame what NO EDUCATION did to you! No education, no manners, no morals, no shame, nothing of any substance, just a hollow shell pretending to be somebody while amounting to nothing. Manure is more beneficial than you. </div></div>

Careful Old boy. You might give yourself an aneurism in your weakened state. </div></div>

If he has two of them he would then be qualified to be VPOTUS on the demokrook ticket.

Gayle in MD
07-11-2012, 07:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also point out where I said it was my stated goal.

</div></div>

Poor Fats.
He just doesnt keep up with technology. </div></div>

<span style="color: #990000">He surely is keeping up with it far better than you, my friend.</span> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Climate Change, Extreme Weather Linked In Studies Examining Texas Drought And U.K. Heat

* 2011 was among 15 warmest years globally - U.S. agency

* Extreme weather events show influence of climate change

* Greenhouse gas levels in atmosphere reaches new high

By Deborah Zabarenko

WASHINGTON, July 10 (Reuters) - Climate change increased the odds for the kind of extreme weather that prevailed in 2011, a year that saw severe drought in Texas, unusual heat in England and was one of the 15 warmest years on record, scientists reported on Tuesday.

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>Overall, 2011 was a year of extreme events - from historic droughts in East Africa, northern Mexico and the southern United States to an above-average cyclone season in the North Atlantic and the end of Australia's wettest two-year period ever, scientists from the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the United Kingdom's Met Office said.

In the 22nd annual "State of the Climate" report, experts also found the Arctic was warming about twice as fast as the rest of the planet, on average, with Arctic sea ice shrinking to its second-smallest recorded size.

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>Heat-trapping greenhouse gas concentrations - carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide among others - continued to rise last year, and the global average atmospheric concentration for carbon dioxide went over 390 parts per million for the first time, an increase of 2.1 ppm in 2010. "</span>Every weather event that happens now takes place in the context of a changing global environment," Deputy NOAA Administrator Kathryn Sullivan said in a statement. "This annual report provides scientists and citizens alike with an analysis of what has happened so we can all prepare for what is to come."</span>

Beyond measuring what happened in 2011, the international team of scientists aimed to start answering a question weather-watchers have been asking for years: can climate change be shown to be responsible for specific weather events?

RAISING THE ODDS

The climate experts acknowledged that event attribution science, as it is called, is in its early stages.

"Currently, attribution of single extreme events to anthropogenic climate change remains challenging," Peterson, Stott and other scientists wrote in a study published in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society.

Attribution is possible, they said, as long as it is framed in terms of probability, rather than certainty. So instead of saying climate change caused a heat wave, researchers could gauge how much more or less likely the heat wave was in a world where the climate is changing.

For example, both Texas and England felt the warming effects of the La Nina weather-making pattern but climate change pushed these influences to extremes, Stott said.

La Nina, a recurring patch of cool water in the equatorial Pacific that alternates with the warm-water phenomenon El Nino, would typically bring heat to Texas, the researchers said in an online briefing.

Adding climate change to La Nina makes a Texas heat wave 20 times more likely than it would have been 50 years ago, said Peter Stott of the Met Office. By some measures, 2011 was the warmest, driest growing season in the Texas record, Stott said.

In Britain, November 2011 was the second-warmest in the central England temperature record dating back to 1659, and climate change made that extreme high temperature average 60 times more likely than it would have been in 1960, the researchers found.

By contrast, deadly floods in Thailand last year cannot be blamed on climate change, the scientific team said.

Tuesday's report came one day after NOAA announced statistics for the continental United States, showing that the past 12 months were the hottest such period on record and the first six month of 2012 were the hottest such period on record, with more than 170 all-time heat records matched or broken.

The full report is available online at http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/bams-state-of-the-climate/2011.php .

Highlights are at http://www.climatewatch.noaa.gov/article/2012/state-of-the-climate-in-2011-highlights/2 . (Reporting By Deborah Zabarenko; Editing by Bill Trott)

</div></div>

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/10/climate-change-extreme-weather_n_1663014.html

<span style='font-size: 17pt'> <span style="color: #990000"> CO2 is NOT going down!
</span> </span>