PDA

View Full Version : TX GOP: No Teaching of Critical Thinking Skills

DiabloViejo
07-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Texas GOP Declares: "No More Teaching of 'Critical Thinking Skills' in Texas Public Schools"
Saturday, 07 July 2012 08:03
By Danny Weil, Truthout | News Analysis

The Republican Party of Texas has issued their 2012 political platform and has come out and blatantly opposed critical thinking in public schools throughout the state. If you wonder what took them so long to actually state that publicly, it is really a matter of timing. With irrationality now the norm and an election hovering over the 2012 horizon, the timing of the Republican GOP announcement against "critical thinking" instruction couldn't be better. It helps gin up their anti-intellectual base.

The Texas GOP's declarative position against critical thinking in public schools, or any schools, for that matter, is now an official part of their political platform.

Read the rest here: http://truth-out.org/news/item/10144-tex...-public-schools (http://truth-out.org/news/item/10144-texas-gop-declares-no-more-teaching-of-critical-thinking-skills-in-texas-public-schools)

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/427286_10150640315020802_207770190801_11241767_415 067225_n.jpg

eg8r
07-10-2012, 08:16 AM
The Texas GOP use amazonaws as their website?

Do you have a link to their actual website so that we can see exactly what they are stating. If they really are using amazon servers for this that is fine, I just wanted to know for sure if what is linked in the article you linked to is actually the Texas GOP data.

eg8r

DiabloViejo
07-10-2012, 09:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Texas GOP use amazonaws as their website?

Do you have a link to their actual website so that we can see exactly what they are stating. If they really are using amazon servers for this that is fine, I just wanted to know for sure if what is linked in the article you linked to is actually the Texas GOP data.

eg8r </div></div>

Amazon Web Services: http://aws.amazon.com/

TEXAS GOP: http://www.texasgop.org/about-the-party

(Once there scroll to "What Republicans Believe" and click on "Click here for a PDF version of the RPT Platform". You will then be taken straight to Amazon Web Services. So yes, the PDF is in fact from the TX GOP. And yes, they store their docs on AWS.)

eg8r
07-10-2012, 10:49 AM
It seems crazy to me that they use this web service but oh well. That is what I wanted to know.

Back to what you quoted and what is actually in the GOP file...<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Knowledge-Based Education - We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student's fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority." </div></div>I don't see this anywhere.

What the GOP file actually says on page 20 is...<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Knowledge-Based Education – The primary purpose of public schools is to teach critical thinking skills, reading, writing, arithmetic, phonics, history, science, and character as well as knowledge-based education, not job training. We support knowledge-based curriculum standards and tests. We support successful career and technology programs, but oppose mandatory career training. We oppose Outcome-Based Education (OBE) and similar programs. Further, because of an aging U.S. population and global competition, and because much of today’s education teaches children to be employees or perhaps at best managers for employers, we encourage the teaching of entrepreneurial
skills and investment skills.</div></div> I am not saying they did not have what your quote proposes but if that was there originally it has been changed. The GOP doc supports critical thinking now, so I don't see any issues.

eg8r

LWW
07-10-2012, 02:02 PM
If it was on the spoon, Fats would adoringly lick it lean ... expecting to actually go to the actual source is, sadly, holding the bar far too high.

"TRUTH-OUT" is a particularly dishonest moonbat feeding station.

If one does a word search of the entire source, I'm confident that each word they claim to be there is actually there ... but not in sequential form as they imply.

They have been a long time source of truncated and out of context misquotes ... up to an including complete fabrications.

Qtec
07-11-2012, 01:26 AM
This was the original.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority. </div></div>

After it was pointed out to them that what they were proposing was ludicrous, they did the right thing and they added the last bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Contacted by TPM on Thursday, Republican Party of Texas (RPT) Communications Director Chris Elam said the “critical thinking skills” language made it into the platform [b]by mistake.

“[The chairman of the Education Subcommittee] indicated that it was an oversight of the committee, that the plank should not have included ‘critical thinking skills’ after ‘values clarification,’” Elam said. “And it was not the intent of the subcommittee to present a plank that would have indicated that the RPT in any way opposed the development of critical thinking skills.”

Elam said the members of the subcommittee “regret” the oversight, but because the mistake was part of the platform approved by the convention, “it cannot be corrected until the next state convention in 2014.”

TPM asked Elam what the intent of subcommittee had been in including the “Knowledge-Based Education” plank.

“I think the intent is that the Republican Party is opposed to the values clarification method that serves the purpose of challenging students beliefs and undermine parental authority,” he said. </div></div>

Q

Qtec
07-11-2012, 01:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it was on the spoon, Fats would adoringly lick it lean ... expecting to actually go to the actual source is, sadly, holding the bar far too high.

"TRUTH-OUT" is a particularly dishonest moonbat feeding station.

If one does a word search of the entire source, I'm confident that each word they claim to be there is actually there ... but not in sequential form as they imply.

They have been a long time source of truncated and out of context misquotes ... up to an including complete fabrications. </div></div>

FAIL

Q

eg8r
07-11-2012, 07:22 AM
I agree, they did the right thing by changing the wording of that paragraph.

eg8r