PDA

View Full Version : I Didn’t Even Know About That Bermuda Company!

DiabloViejo
07-10-2012, 09:14 AM
<span style="color: #000099">He doesn't even know what is going on with his finances and we are supposed to hand over the largest economy in the world to this man? Of course if he is lying about it, then it is worse; it means the man is either a fool or a liar, or both. How can anyone -in any country- can say something like this and still get elected? </span>/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Romney: I Didn’t Even Know About That Bermuda Company!</span>
BENJY SARLIN, JULY 10, 2012, 10:04 AM
TPM (http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/07/romney-bermuda-swiss-cayman-blind-trust.php)

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/assets_c/2012/06/Romney-Mitt-Jobs-6-7-12-cropped-proto-custom_28.jpg

Mitt Romney disavowed any responsibility for investments in the Cayman Islands and Bermuda, saying his personal finances are part of a “blind trust” that’s out of his control. Democrats have seized on reports on the holdings, about which little is known, to demand Romney release more of his tax returns and related material.

“I don’t manage them, I don’t even know where they are,” Romney told Radio Iowa Monday of his investment portfolio. “That trustee follows all U.S. laws, all taxes are paid as appropriate, all of them have been reported to the government. There’s nothing hidden there.”

Blind trusts are common among politicians. <span style="color: #CC0000">According to an Associated Press report, records show Romney transferred 12,000 shares in the Bermuda company to his wife’s blind trust the day before he was sworn in as governor in 2003, a transaction that was not publicly disclosed at the time.</span>

Romney said his Caribbean holdings were no different in terms of taxes than investing in, say, a foreign car company.

“If, for instance, you own shares in Renault or Fiat, you still have to disclose that in the United States,” he said.

Romney did not indicate he plans to disclose more information, and accused Democrats of trying to distract from the economy.

“I understand the president’s going to try to do anything he can to divert attention from the fact that his jobs record is weak and he has no plan to make things better,” he said.

For the first time, President Obama on Monday personally joined Democrats in demanding Romney release his tax returns and clear up the nature of the companies in question.

“What’s important is if you are running for president is that the American people know who you are and what you’ve done and that you’re an open book,” Obama told a New Hampshire television station. “And that’s been true of every presidential candidate dating all the way back to Mitt Romney’s father.”

The late George Romney, former governor of Michigan, released a dozen years of tax returns ahead of his own presidential campaign, saying he wanted to dispel any doubts that he filed his taxes any differently in the year or two before his run.

Soflasnapper
07-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Cue up the video and sound byte of Romney explaining that blind trusts are a dodge and a scam (paraphrasing), which he said when he was attacking Edward Kennedy in that Senate race over HIS blind trust arrangements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Romney said "The blind trust is an age-old ruse. You give a blind trust rules. You can say to a blind trust, don't invest in properties which would be in conflict of interest or where the seller might think they're going to get an advantage from me." </div></div>

It just gets worse and worse for Mr. Romney, doesn't it?

Heard Dennis Miller last night bemoaning why Romney wasn't ahead, and musing how so many people he talks to support Obama, to his astonishment and dismay. He actually said, perhaps people who think like he does may be outnumbered in this country at this time.

Which is true, but will they all be allowed to vote? (The trump card to be played.)

LWW
07-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Do you have any clue what a blind trust is?

Soflasnapper
07-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Do you think Romney knows what he's talking about re: blind trusts?

Was he right in his prior statement?

DiabloViejo
07-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Why yes, as a matter of fact I do!

Do you know how to read? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

How about taking a shower and getting a job, or are you allergic to work? Or is it that maybe you just like being a parasitic leech? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

(BTW,I apologize to all parasitic leeches, hell at least they provide some useful functions in nature..unlike you!) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

LWW
07-10-2012, 01:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think Romney knows what he's talking about re: blind trusts?

</div></div>

That he doesn't manage his blind trust?

If he managed it, it wouldn't be a blind trust ... so apparently you don't know the meaning either.

LWW
07-10-2012, 01:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why yes, as a matter of fact I do! </div></div>

Yet you can't explain what one is?

LWW
07-10-2012, 01:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about taking a shower and getting a job, or are you allergic to work? Or is it that maybe you just like being a parasitic leech? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>

That was simply precious.

Trust me, as a card carrying one percenter I could buy and sell your sorry arse ... well, I actually probably couldn't sell it becuse that would require it having a net worth.

Soflasnapper
07-10-2012, 05:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think Romney knows what he's talking about re: blind trusts?

</div></div>

That he doesn't manage his blind trust?

If he managed it, it wouldn't be a blind trust ... so apparently you don't know the meaning either. </div></div>

A joke! A deflection! Wait, it's both!

Clearly my question was what I quoted him saying:

Romney said "The blind trust is an age-old ruse. You give a blind trust rules. You can say to a blind trust, don't invest in properties which would be in conflict of interest or where the seller might think they're going to get an advantage from me."

Was he right about that?

And did making a non-arms-length party, HIS PERSONAL ATTORNEY, the trustee, show how blind that trust was? ROFL!

Believe me, that they winked back and forth at one another only created momentary blindness, at best.

DiabloViejo
07-10-2012, 06:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about taking a shower and getting a job, or are you allergic to work? Or is it that maybe you just like being a parasitic leech? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>

That was simply precious.

Trust me, as a card carrying one percenter I could buy and sell your sorry arse ... well, I actually probably couldn't sell it becuse that would require it having a net worth. </div></div>

Bwahahahaha! Yeah, you're a card carrying 1%'er as in you have a card that identifies you as having only 1% of the brain capacity of a normal person. And you have another card which identifies you as a member of the 1% who couldn't get some, even if they walked into a bordello waving fist fulls of $100 bills. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Just get out of your chair take a shower, go get a freaking job and stop collecting welfare and food stamps already. And for the love of god spray some Febreze on your chair, it reeks of funky, nasty, fascist, lying, parasitic leech arse. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

Qtec
07-11-2012, 01:13 AM
cue Mitt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6nYkDJWIPI)

Also,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When Mitt Romney faced questions on the campaign trail four years ago about investments in firms engaged in embryonic stem cell research, the presidential candidate had a ready explanation -- he was unaware because his vast financial portfolio was under the control of an independent trustee. Last week, Romney's campaign pulled out the same explanation when ABC News sought details about the candidate's holdings in the Cayman Islands, a notorious offshore tax haven.

"We remind you that Gov. Romney does not choose anything; these are BLIND TRUSTS," a campaign official wrote in an email.

But government ethics experts and election lawyers told ABC News that Romney's trust might not be quite as blind as he has long maintained. That's because Romney placed his quarter-billion dollar family fortune <u>in the hands of his personal lawyer and longtime associate Bradford Malt.</u>

Federal officeholders are required to either fully disclose all their financial holdings and any possible conflicts of interest, or place their holdings in a blind trust. Robert Kelner, a Republican election lawyer in Washington, D.C. with no ties to a current presidential campaign, explained the federal rules governing those blind trusts. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>"The Office of Government Ethics requires that a financial institution be appointed as the trustee and that the financial institution not be controlled by or have done business with the candidate," said Kelner. "It would preclude you from hiring your favorite lawyer as the trustee." </span> </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Romney said "The blind trust is an age-old ruse." </div></div>

He should know.

Q

LWW
07-11-2012, 04:33 AM
10 ... 9 ... 8 ...