PDA

View Full Version : Bustin' Your Cue In Anger

Sid_Vicious
10-04-2002, 11:05 AM
I recently was told about an incident where a player became so enraged that he snapped his cue over his knee, and then snapped the butt in two and threw all of it in the trash, AND then proceeded to assemble another cue from his case and promptly repeat the same bustin' process on that cue as well. Dumass if you ask me.

Y'all seen such as this, or maybe even bigger and costlier overreactions? You have a story to tell???sid

Cueless Joey
10-04-2002, 11:09 AM
I've seen this nice lovely scene before. Shafts getting shattered on the rail.
I once pounded my cue on the floor. The buttcap broke. Cheap azz cue anyway. lol
Boy, I've a lot of blowups that I could have snapped the cue but always stopped.
I know one pro who snapped his expensive Schon in front of his backer who bought him that cue. Yipes!

griffith_d
10-04-2002, 11:17 AM
There was this guy, who thought he was better than anyone else and when he got beat, he ran his cue across the table, smashing all the balls around(8 ball) and then his tip hit the side pocket and snapped his cue in half.

He was a complete ass, when I beat him on a different occasion, he would not even shake my hand.

I sure his lack of self-control cost him a few cues.

Griff

nAz
10-04-2002, 11:23 AM
Last year a saw this guy snap his 4 day old Preditor shaft because he couldnt pocket more then 2 or 3 balls with it DUMBASS! blames the shaft! i guess he forgot that before the pred. he couldnt pocket more then 2 balls.
it was kinda cool i walked over to the garbage can and took out what was left of the pred. got to see up close how it constructed /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
10-04-2002, 11:28 AM
Last night I almost snapped my cue in half but regained self control. I have thrown my cue to the floor in disgust at times and once bit the shaft (I've since sanded down the bitemarks). I saw this one guy once throw his cue across the room like it was the javelin throw!

10-04-2002, 11:33 AM
I am very impressed that you have apparently never lost your temper or been frustrated to the point of throwing or breaking any thing.

But if someone wants to break or throw or discard something they own, assuming it does not harm anyone else, what the h*ll business is it of yours.

I can't buy into your self-righteous need to impose your judgements and stands on others.

10-04-2002, 11:37 AM
Once when I beat someone in a tournament...just as the last 9-ball dropped, he snapped his shaft in two with his hands. Then he held the butt (and what was left of the shaft) by the end, put the other end on the floor, and stomped on the middle, breaking the butt in two. He then took all three pieces and tossed them in the garbage.

I saw someone break their cue at the BCA Pro 9-ball event in Vegas this year. Hill-hill. Tried to make or play safe on the 7 (I wasn't watching, I only saw the aftermath after I heard the SNAP sounds) and scratched. Broke his shaft right in his hands.

Mike Sigel has a pretty famous one. At the 2000 U.S. Open 14.1. John Schmidt beat him. Sigel stuck the butt of his cue in a pocket, cranked on the cue, and broke it! It was captured on an accustats video! I have to get that one someday. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

http://www.quoteland.com/topic.asp?CATEGORY_ID=9

SpiderMan
10-04-2002, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Last night I almost snapped my cue in half but regained self control. I have thrown my cue to the floor in disgust at times and once bit the shaft (I've since sanded down the bitemarks). I saw this one guy once throw his cue across the room like it was the javelin throw! <hr></blockquote>

Not sure what sounds scarier, the biting or the sanding /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

We used to have a league player who would do an underhand javelin throw when he'd lose in some particularly frustrating way. It made me try really hard, I loved to watch him do it. BTW, he was an instructor at a local (Dallas) pool school, which made it funnier to us.

SpiderMan

Perk
10-04-2002, 12:25 PM
Most of the posts talk against the anger. Well, I am one that has used the anger. For about 2 years, I would get so mad that I would be miserable myself. Whether bowling (punching chairs), basketball (hitting walls), or billiards (tossing cues), I have been there. I was encouraged by my better half to not get involved into these uproars. The last one I had after the encouragement caused me to really work on containing anger.

"I had just missed an eight ball in a team tourney (even worse cause it affects more than just myself), I congratulated the winner just fine (always do, my anger is at myself, noone else), then I walked around the half wall by the tables. I was thinking about what my better half said (control anger), so I took my Pred 2k3 apart before I could do something stupid. Then out of pure discust, I Swung the Butt towards the floor and it broke above in the center above the joint. Was totally ready to give up the GAME! I learned my lesson (for me it was a costly one). Of course I couldnt give up the game, so I ended up having to purchase another cue.

The moral of that post is that some people just are that competitive that they blow up. I havent since, and usually when I get to that point, its time to take a walk. (WITHOUT the cue!)

=k=
10-04-2002, 12:29 PM
hmmmm, maybe you are right for once.. i would rather hear the cracking of a beautiful cue than cussing or whineing.. K

Wally_in_Cincy
10-04-2002, 01:00 PM
McGoorty tells a story of a 3C player named Jay Bozeman who came in second in the world championship and got so mad he broke all 5 of his cues and didn't play again for a year.

APA city championships 2000- a guy on the other team smashed his Meucci sp after a loss. I had never seen this before. I told the TD he should be DQ'ed. He said "Naw that happens all the time" /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

I got beat one night due to bad rolls /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif . I thought the pool gods were angry at me so I sacrificed a Mali sp to them. But I did it privately out in the back parking lot. It didn't appease the gods BTW.

But the best was this. The full story is here

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=30530&amp; Search=true&amp;Forum=ccbboard&amp;Words=Reef&amp;Match=Entire %20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main= 30530

but here's the Reader's Digest version:

*snip*So it's down to me and their best player (he's a 6). I absolutely annihilated him 4-0 in 6 innings. It was the best pool I've played in months.

Now the good part:
I shook his hand and turned to shake my teammates hands and behind me I heard "5 my a$$" then the unmistakeable sound of a Predator sneaky pete being smashed against the corner of a Valley Dynamo. I wanted to laugh so bad I couldn't stand it. *snip*

BTW I ran into that guy last night. First thing I said: "Hey Walt is that a new cue?" He laughed.

10-04-2002, 01:40 PM
I think I know the exact guy that you are referring to, after he broke his cue, he borrowed mine for the rest of the tournament.

10-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Three or four years ago at the US Open I saw Kim Davenport slam his cue on the table after a particularly bad break and snap it. I don't think he intentionally broke it, but part of the shaft went flying off the table and landed about 10 feet away. Miraculously he didn't get disqualified from the tournament. So far that's the only time I've personally seen a pro do that, but I'm sure other pros have done the same thing.

I've thrown my Meucci on the floor (completely justified -- I scratched kicking at the money ball), kicked it across a hotel lounge after my case slipped off my arm (again justified -- I'd just lost in APA Nationals and was completely disgusted), and abused it various other ways that I'd rather not talk about. Apparently, I've got the only Meucci on the face of the earth that won't live down to its' reputation by warping, cracking, splitting or otherwise giving me a reason to replace it -- the damn thing is still straight as an arrow. Just because of that, I'm afraid If I ever get frustrated enough to snap it in two the Pool Gods will unleash some kind unholy hell on me and what little talent I have for this game will be GONE.

RedH

Ross
10-04-2002, 01:50 PM
IMO the most incredible story - by far - of "losing it" while playing pool was the one recounted in the Buddy Hall bio "Rags to Rifleman." It was an account of what happened when Buddy played a guy called "Mountain Man" from Rocky Mount, NC. I hesitate to summarize it because it is laugh-out-loud funny as told in the book. Let's just say that Mountain's fit STARTS with breaking his stick. Have any of you read this story?

10-04-2002, 01:54 PM
I forgot to mention the time I saw a league player break a cue in half after losing a match. I guess it would have been okay if it had actually been HIS cue and not someone else's. In the midst of his anger he turned around, grabbed what he thought was his cue, broke it and started swearing. His teammate, the cue owner, told the guy in a very carefully controlled, but angry voice that was a brand new Southwest cue he just broke and maybe they needed to make a little trip to the ATM.

RedH

10-04-2002, 01:57 PM
I'm not proud to say so, Sid, but I'm a past master of the art. And even though you do something like that in the short-lived belief that it'll make you feel better, what it does make you feel is every bit as stupid as you look.

Around here, nobody ever topped a pretty fair player named Hal Johnson when it came to tantrums. He once actually seized THE OTHER GUY'S CUE and broke that! But that had nothing on his jumping onto the table to kick the irksome balls around, and certainly not his Kamikaze Sprint: seize the cue in mid-shaft with both hands, point it directly at his breastbone, and, with rich primal scream, run madly into the nearest wall. Let's see our fellow posters top that one. GF

10-04-2002, 02:42 PM
I did this once at the old 211 club in Seattle. I was playing banks, and nothing was going right. At the time, I was playing with a Thomas Wayne cue. I got so mad because of a shot that I missed, that I started flexing the cue.....and stoped. I went to my case, pulled out my break stick and snapped that one instead. It was actually pretty funny now that I look back. Many of the regulars at that old pool room remember that incident and still continue to bring it up. Oh well, all that I can do is laugh.

Thanks,
Tony

jjinfla
10-04-2002, 03:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I am very impressed that you have apparently never lost your temper or been frustrated to the point of throwing or breaking any thing.

But if someone wants to break or throw or discard something they own, assuming it does not harm anyone else, what the h*ll business is it of yours.

I can't buy into your self-righteous need to impose your judgements and stands on others. <hr></blockquote>Sounds like you are doing just what you are saying he shouldn't do. Jake

SpiderMan
10-04-2002, 03:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I recently was told about an incident where a player became so enraged that he snapped his cue over his knee, and then snapped the butt in two and threw all of it in the trash, AND then proceeded to assemble another cue from his case and promptly repeat the same bustin' process on that cue as well. Dumass if you ask me.
<hr></blockquote>

The value of a couple of Meuccis pales compared to the actual wager lost in that particular matchup. The true dumb move was playing who he was for the amount he was, after a long weekend at Pool School which had his head filled up with distracting new thoughts and patterns. I played him Monday night, and I noticed his game was off.

SpiderMan

Barbara
10-04-2002, 03:52 PM
Well sid, there was this one guy who was kind of the real quiet type and the real explosive type, too. Didn't know about the latter until I saw his cue in "Barry Szmith's"* workshop and heard the story.

Seems "Toney"*, who worked in this particular pool hall behind the counter, was doing a straight pool drill or was actually playing (by himself) when he missed a shot. All of a sudden he just started whacking his mucho expensivo Szmith cue across the side of the table intil the shaft shattered and flew across the room. The then room owner told him he was only half done so Toney started whacking the butt across the table until it cracked, too.

I never knew that Toney had that kind of temper.

And I couldn't believe that Barry Szmith actually fixed that cue (and I hope he charged him the FULL price).

And I lost a lot of respect for Toney after I heard that story.

Barbara~~~believes in putting the blame where it belongs - on the shooter...

*names have been altered and I apologize to those who have heard this story before.

HOWARD
10-04-2002, 05:02 PM
Sid, I have a couple of stories about cue bustin'. 1. Told by The Rifleman, " a professional was putting on exihibition for the boy scouts, trick shots, play the pro in a match etc., At one point the pro miss an easy shot and slammed his cue down - and I believe Buddy said he had broken it. Anyway after the show one of the Dads came up to the pro and said It is not any of my business or anything, but don't you think breaking your cue like that is a bad example for the kids. And the pro replied - drum roll - no your right - it is not any of your business. 2.
Many years ago a young man about 16 - was quite a good player with usual ego/bad temper - He was playing some straight pool with man who had come to try him out - He miss a shot and blew up and slammed his cue on the rail and snapped the shaft - I believe it was an Zimmerman. - He was way ahead won that game. Now he has borrowed his friends cue - an old hoppy two piece - the same scenario the same result so he won I believe it was about twenty dollars and lost fifty or sixty on cues - it was quite a while ago. Howard

10-04-2002, 05:49 PM
Kid who plays at my local room is very loud, very stupid, and a very lousy player. Breaks a cue about once a week. So the other night he shows up with--I think you'll like this--his own set of Elephant Balls Beautiful Balls. What more can I say?

Ton Ton Mac

bluewolf
10-04-2002, 06:37 PM
not seen this sid, but the year ww and i went to vegas, one of ww teammakes who was a sl3,stayed up late, got drunk and then lost all his money and 800$ cue gambling.poor guy, he had to borrow money just to get home.

bw

10-04-2002, 06:51 PM
The only thing I can think of at the moment thats goofier than an SL3 (D player) owning a cue thats worth more than a couple of hundred bucks and not realizing he has no business gambling at a game he's a novice in, would be an SL2 who doesn't have the common sense and respect for herself, the game, or those accomplished in it to know enough to close her pie hole and open her ears when getting counsel from a BCA Master Instructor, and then say Yes Mamn, Thank You Mamn for taking the time to talk to me, or at least feeling that in her heart and expressing it in her attitude. Slim

10-08-2002, 01:56 PM
I have a custom Meucci that I bought in 1983 that is still straight as an arrow. How you care for a cue can make a difference. I will allow that it was made early on before the recognized period of their decline in the quality of the materials used. Still, I think they get an undeserved bad rap.

eg8r
10-08-2002, 02:55 PM
I don't think this was the brightest moment in your pool playing career. I am very happy the guy did not break yours. I do not think I would even take my cue out of the case around someone that breaks cues when they get pissed.

eg8r

Rod
10-08-2002, 03:16 PM
Sid, A well known pro thro his cue against my wall. Picked it up and threw it again. Didn't break but it must have had a few dings from the wall or the table it hit on the way down. Then went back to the game, he was stuck about 2k.

TonyM
10-08-2002, 11:09 PM
Sid, a very talented youg amateur player in Toronto used to come into my shop about once or twice a month to have his Schon repaired. He would often break the cue over his knee! Usually, he would swear that he was going to quit the game and never play again! After a few days, he would walk into my shop, his head hanging and ask if I could fix his broken toy!

Some of the damage was awfull! I was always able to fix his cue good as new.

I charged him heavily for the repairs. After a while, he stopped busting his cue.

Said he couldn't afford to keep fixing it anymore!

Tony
-temper, temper!.....

Karatemom
10-09-2002, 06:58 AM
Now, that story brought tears to my eyes. Also fear, my stuff staying away from everyone.

C.C.