PDA

View Full Version : Which is more important?

Soflasnapper
07-12-2012, 06:46 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RYDI278czOg/T_38WUGDpAI/AAAAAAAAcqc/OBT5lUaf2XU/s200/Matthew-19-24-4f22e2cb56918.jpg

A big ass needle, or a tiny mutant camel?

To get a camel through the eye of the needle, I mean?

Some may remember the reference.

cushioncrawler
07-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Barbara Thiering in Jesus The Man explains that the saying in Mk 10:25 about "a camel going through the eye of a needle" iz referring to the graduation of a celibate (a "gimel", which allso meant camel), and woz awarded a ranking equivalent to Raphael or to a Nazrite archbishop (and the name of the award allso had the meaning of "eye of a needle").

Just in case anyone iz interested.
mac.

Soflasnapper
07-12-2012, 11:47 PM
I have heard, to the contrary, that there was a gate into Jerusalem called 'the Eye of the Needle' that was low, requiring a camel to duck it's head to transverse.

A battle of alternate explanations!

I'll look around.

In the meantime, clearly to me, the larger needle is the key.

With enough money, one can commission a very large needle, through which even a normal camel may pass. I think smaller camels can be genetically engineered, but I doubt one so small as to pass through a regular needle could be accomplished.

Qtec
07-13-2012, 12:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.</div></div>

He doesn't say its impossible. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Making money is not morally wrong in itself, its how you accumulate that wealth that counts.

In Romney's case, he has a lot to answer for.

Q

LWW
07-13-2012, 03:02 AM
Perhaps you would want to LEARN (http://www.eyeoftheneedle.net/eye_of_a_needle.htm) what the phrase actually means.

Qtec
07-13-2012, 04:49 AM
So what does it mean?

Q

eg8r
07-13-2012, 05:11 AM
It means if you speak Aramaic then camel should have been translated as rope. If you speak any other language in the world, camel means camel.

At this point we will not know the truth till we get to heaven and have a Q&A session with God. To me, it doesn't matter if camel means camel or if camel means rope because you will never get a rich man to give up his wealth.

eg8r

eg8r
07-13-2012, 05:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Making money is not morally wrong in itself, its how you accumulate that wealth that counts.
</div></div>Well this certainly doesn't ring consistent with anything you have posted in the past. In the past it was always, "making money is not morally wrong in itselt, it's how bad you want to hold on to it instead of giving it to the poor so they can use the food stamps at strip clubs."

eg8r

LWW
07-13-2012, 05:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what does it mean?

Q </div></div>

Nobody thought you would click on a link not approved by the regime.

LWW
07-13-2012, 05:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It means if you speak Aramaic then camel should have been translated as rope. If you speak any other language in the world, camel means camel.

eg8r </div></div>

Incorrect.

Snoopy speaks NEWSPEAK ... which means that he believes the phrase means whatever the party tells him it means.

cushioncrawler
07-13-2012, 06:12 AM
Sunday, 22 April 2012
The eye of the needle and the camel
It always makes me laugh when people quote Jesus in Matt 19:24 -
"And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God".
I get the image of this camel trying to squeeze into a needle and I would say that it is clearly easier for a rich man to go to heaven than for a camel to accomplish this task, unless he had a Star Trek 'transporter'. So the commentators of the so-called 'hard verses' of Jesus try to explain it by saying that the 'eye of a needle' was the name of the narrow passage in some rocks or that the camel was a piece of rope. And for those that smoke, it could have been 'Joe Camel' for Camel cigarettes. And so it goes.

However, the explanation actually is simple when one takes into account that Jesus was a follower of the Essenes of Qumran in their monastery that was located near the Dead Sea. Even if one did not believe that, a little knowledge of the Hebrew alphabet is all that is necessary. The third letter of the alphabet is (G) gimel which has a pictogram of a camel (See Gimel) and the nineteenth letter (Q) Qoph which has the pictogram of a sewing needle (See Qoph). So here we have a person of grade G (third) achieving the letter Q. That would now be possible, and not absurd!
Thus, Jesus is referring to the requirement of all those who enter into the Essene monastery to give up all riches.

This is the reason that the Essenes were known as 'the poor'. In the first Beautitude, Jesus says, "Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven". The 'poor in spirit' represents a new class similar to the monastics of Qumran, namely the Gentiles and Jews outside of Jerusalem (the Diaspora) who report to the person with the title of 'Holy Spirit' (in this case Jesus). They would then have the same eternal life in heaven as the members of the monastery.

Read about the true story of Jesus in my ebook at Amazon.com:

sack316
07-13-2012, 06:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A big ass needle, or a tiny mutant camel?

To get a camel through the eye of the needle, I mean?

Some may remember the reference. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard, to the contrary, that there was a gate into Jerusalem called 'the Eye of the Needle' that was low, requiring a camel to duck it's head to transverse.
</div></div>

Actually, there is no evidence of such a gate, though this is a very popular interpretation. And not saying there was no such gate, just saying there is nothing supporting that one existed, either.

Wealth is intoxicating, and can fool a person into thinking he or she is self-sufficient away from God. The rich person wants to hold on to that supposed self-sufficiency.

Jesus painted this picture not as a condemnation of the rich... but rather to illustrate that even the seemingly impossible is possible with God. Without Gods grace it is nearly impossible for the wealthy to be saved. With it, it is possible (Joseph of Arimathea and Zacchaeus for example).

Sack

Soflasnapper
07-13-2012, 10:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps you would want to LEARN (http://www.eyeoftheneedle.net/eye_of_a_needle.htm) what the phrase actually means. </div></div>

That was an interesting link, and thank you.

However, what you have shown is what one guy thinks is the most 'likely' explanation. Even he doesn't state it as a fact, and mentions the other meanings as well.

Overall, the meaning of the saying is clear, however one wishes to take the meaning of eye of the needle.

Soflasnapper
07-13-2012, 10:36 AM
To me, it doesn't matter if camel means camel or if camel means rope because you will never get a rich man to give up his wealth.

Depending on what you mean by giving up his wealth.

Gates has committed to donating about 95%+ of his wealth. Not that he and the kids won't be very wealthy afterwards. They will have to struggle through with about $1 billion each. The horror!

Soflasnapper
07-13-2012, 10:39 AM
We know there are large scale animals bred down to tiny versions, as in the Russian Oligarch commercial, where they show the tiny giraffe on a treadmill. Only a couple of inches tall, which is amazing! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Still, a normal needle won't work even with a 99%+ shrinkage animal.

eg8r
07-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Well we both know that when the rich man was asked to give everything away and follow God it did not include keeping $1Billion for rainy days. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

sack316
07-13-2012, 12:17 PM
http://www.lukecole.com/Roadside%20Attractions/HugeObjects/button1.jpg

(BTW, loved those direct TV commercials!)

http://tominusprime.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/directv_upside_down_opulence-big.jpg

Sack

Soflasnapper
07-13-2012, 06:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well we both know that when the rich man was asked to give everything away and follow God it did not include keeping $1Billion for rainy days. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>

Yeah, I must agree.

Soflasnapper
07-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Great pics of the little giraffe and that big needle.

I remembered that giraffe a big smaller, showing my memory is declining (others may cite other evidence as well).