PDA

View Full Version : The Chicago Way-- character assassination

Soflasnapper
07-12-2012, 11:18 PM
I now confess to a cynical political viewpoint.

In the North Carolina primary contest, Bill Clinton obliquely referred to a large African-American voter base, as he mentioned that Jesse Jackson had won there (against either eventual Democratic Party presidential nominee Mondale or Dukakis, or maybe both, I forget just now). The point was that the voting block gave charismatic black candidates wins over eventual winners.

He added that Jackson had run a very good campaign there, as had Obama. A mild comment that was true, and an alibi for HRC's loss there. Any political commentator might have said the same, but more explicitly referring to the black voting group to explain the dynamics.

The Obama campaign reacted in high dudgeon, through surrogates, that this was a racist comment, and that the man the black poet and author and more Maya Angelou had proclaimed the 'first black president' was a racist. Absurd, ridiculous, and playing the race card, shamefully.

I scratched my head at the charge, but then thought of what it meant. It meant the Obama campaign was playing dirty, throwing elbows. Obama was a basketball player, who struggled to make varsity. I drew a conclusion.

This was a guy who might be able to handle the GOP attack machine. I didn't appreciate the spin lie, but I did recognize the skill.

This assuaged my fear of him as a rookie, and gave some confidence that he could prevail.

He gamed the caucuses, to lead although HRC claimed every primary in every blue state of note, and then gamed the super-delegates who could have leant to HRC and had been signalling that support prior to pressure.

I will briefly mention that he (and his backers and his campaign) eliminated his strongest opponent for senator from Illinois by getting his sealed divorce proceedings revealed.

All the foregoing is to set up what is going on now.

Romney's Bain difficulties are not made up. They are real. They led to his defeat by Kennedy for US Senator from MA, and are amply witnessed by his GOP primary disputing candidates. They are now exponentially exploding, with credible charges of federal felony charges on the undisputed evidentiary record. Not to mention state federal election law felonies.

And this Chicago-based campaign and this candidate are set up fat over the plate directly in their wheelhouse zone. They've already pounced. Even mild-mannered milquetoast Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid has weighed in, stating that Romney would not pass muster as a cabinet official, or a dog catcher.

This race is over.

The true PTB do not want a 3rd world war which Romney's election would guarantee. The fix is in, which I applaud, given the dire circumstances.

Soft facsism is far preferable to the hard version. Sad, but true.

The saving grace is that this campaign charge has the truth behind it. At least that's something.

And you can be sure this will be beaten to death.

Qtec
07-13-2012, 04:46 AM
Not sure what your point is but its not character assassination to point out when the other guy is lying.

Romney's ONLY qualification for POTUS is that he 'knows' business and that he was a 'job creator'.!

The first is certainly true. He has maybe a 100 companies offshore and who knows how many bank accounts. He is an expert in dodging the IRS.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Job creator?</span> Bain was never in the business creating jobs.
Making money was what their aim was and never mind the cost to those they fired,took away their HC and raided their pension fund.

Romney and Bain are Gecko.

too true (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mr4mjeZ2ko&feature=related)

Q..simply transferred.

eg8r
07-13-2012, 05:04 AM
LOL, your only argument against Romney is that he was more qualified than Obama.

eg8r

LWW
07-13-2012, 05:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, your only argument against Romney is that he was more qualified than Obama.

eg8r </div></div>

It's not even that deep.

His only objection to Omney is that he's told he objects to Romney.

In reality, he and Romney are ideological soul mates ... other than Romney i missing the critical (D) gene.

sack316
07-13-2012, 07:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I now confess to a cynical political viewpoint.

In the North Carolina primary contest, Bill Clinton obliquely referred to a large African-American voter base, as he mentioned that Jesse Jackson had won there (against either eventual Democratic Party presidential nominee Mondale or Dukakis, or maybe both, I forget just now). The point was that the voting block gave charismatic black candidates wins over eventual winners.

He added that Jackson had run a very good campaign there, as had Obama. A mild comment that was true, and an alibi for HRC's loss there. Any political commentator might have said the same, but more explicitly referring to the black voting group to explain the dynamics.

The Obama campaign reacted in high dudgeon, through surrogates, that this was a racist comment, and that the man the black poet and author and more Maya Angelou had proclaimed the 'first black president' was a racist. Absurd, ridiculous, and playing the race card, shamefully.

I scratched my head at the charge, but then thought of what it meant. It meant the Obama campaign was playing dirty, throwing elbows. Obama was a basketball player, who struggled to make varsity. I drew a conclusion.

This was a guy who might be able to handle the GOP attack machine. I didn't appreciate the spin lie, but I did recognize the skill.

This assuaged my fear of him as a rookie, and gave some confidence that he could prevail.

He gamed the caucuses, to lead although HRC claimed every primary in every blue state of note, and then gamed the super-delegates who could have leant to HRC and had been signalling that support prior to pressure.

I will briefly mention that he (and his backers and his campaign) eliminated his strongest opponent for senator from Illinois by getting his sealed divorce proceedings revealed.

All the foregoing is to set up what is going on now.

Romney's Bain difficulties are not made up. They are real. They led to his defeat by Kennedy for US Senator from MA, and are amply witnessed by his GOP primary disputing candidates. They are now exponentially exploding, with credible charges of federal felony charges on the undisputed evidentiary record. Not to mention state federal election law felonies.

And this Chicago-based campaign and this candidate are set up fat over the plate directly in their wheelhouse zone. They've already pounced. Even mild-mannered milquetoast Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid has weighed in, stating that Romney would not pass muster as a cabinet official, or a dog catcher.

This race is over.

The true PTB do not want a 3rd world war which Romney's election would guarantee. The fix is in, which I applaud, given the dire circumstances.

Soft facsism is far preferable to the hard version. Sad, but true.

The saving grace is that this campaign charge has the truth behind it. At least that's something.

And you can be sure this will be beaten to death. </div></div>

Throwing elbows is right! And wow! He's tough and not pulling any punches, that's for sure.

My concern for him is does the guy from Chicago politics really WANT the term "felon" thrown into the rhetoric here? Considering Chicago's storied political history, ties to the likes of Rezko and Blagojevich among others, and self professed "experimentation" in a former life that would equate to felony status had he ever been caught...

Of course placing such on Obama directly is a stretch, but in these situations sometimes perception counts more than facts. And I'm not 100% sure "felon" is a term that would provide him more punches to throw than Romney if it got down to it.

But in the interim, pretty smart in many ways. Every day the Obama staff can have Romney on the defensive on his former work is a day that nobody is talking about the economy and jobs. Good short term strategy, just not positive it's great long term.

Sack

Soflasnapper
07-13-2012, 10:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure what your point is but its not character assassination to point out when the other guy is lying.

Romney's ONLY qualification for POTUS is that he 'knows' business and that he was a 'job creator'.!

The first is certainly true. He has maybe a 100 companies offshore and who knows how many bank accounts. He is an expert in dodging the IRS.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Job creator?</span> Bain was never in the business creating jobs.
Making money was what their aim was and never mind the cost to those they fired,took away their HC and raided their pension fund.

Romney and Bain are Gecko.

too true (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mr4mjeZ2ko&feature=related)

Q..simply transferred. </div></div>

I'm saying Obama & Co. are good at personal attacks, and this situation is well suited for their skill set in this regard.

I already said that in this case, it carries the benefit of being true.

My true point is that I am now, for the first time, convinced that Obama will win. Romney's like the random ruminant that stumbles into a pond of hungry piranha fish.

I had breakfast with a conservative, and he agreed, stating the only chance to beat Obama now that this has come out is to 'repeal and replace' Romney at the nomination convention, if that could be possible. I don't think that's a realistic option if Romney has anything to say about it.

sack316
07-13-2012, 12:14 PM
I know they couldn't control when the Globe published the article, but (just curious about your opinion) do you think it may have served Obama better for this to come out later? Say around debate times closer to the election?

For instance, this has a chance to blow over and/or be old news and give the perception of "beating a dead horse" possible weeks/months down the road. It also gives Romney time to change the narrative (if his campaign is skilled enough, which thus far I kind of doubt they are to be honest).

But what a bombshell it would be to pop that info off in a debate when Romney is throwing his punches, calling the Obama camp a liar... then BAM Obama hits him with all this! That could sway the whole thing right then... whereas now there is time to adjust and recover.

Then again, who knows what else will be dug up and come out by then too lol

Sack

Soflasnapper
07-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Later may have been a better time for the O campaign, in terms of it sticking around. Or maybe this will have legs to last the whole way, anyway. It's what many people thought anyway, and this just fleshes out some of the details, including phrases like 'federal felony.'

Nothing wrong with getting this guy very early on further defined along these lines, the sooner the better, as first impressions are lasting ones.

I don't see Romney as cool under pressure, and I'm wondering how he'll lash out.

And don't discount the possibility that the Globe was tipped to look at this or that SEC filing from sources in or close to the WH. This may have been their own preferred timing.

Qtec
07-15-2012, 01:33 AM
I think the timing is right. This will go on for months while Mitt won't release his tax returns. Every day they will remind the public that Mitt is hiding something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But in 1994, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Romney vigorously called for then Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-MA) to release his tax returns, in order to prove that he had “nothing to hide”:</span>

With the tax-filing deadline looming, Republican Senate candidate Mitt Romney yesterday challenged Sen. Edward M. Kennedy to disclose his state and federal taxes to prove he has ‘nothing to hide,’ but another GOP rival, John R. Lakian, called Romney’s move ‘bush league’ ‘It’s time the biggest-taxing senator in Washington shows the people of Massachusetts how much he pays in taxes,” said Romney, a business consultant from Belmont. Romney said he would disclose his own state and federal taxes for the last three years ‘on the very day that Kennedy turns over his taxes for public scrutiny.’ [Boston Globe, 4/19/94] </div></div>

Q

Soflasnapper
07-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Romney said he would disclose his own state and federal taxes for the last three years ‘on the very day that Kennedy turns over his taxes for public scrutiny.’

Get the widow on the phone!

Oh wait, changed his mind, and now Romney AGREES with Kennedy, says he was right.

I agree, upon reflection, that the timing of these attacks are fine, and maybe even ideal.

It creates now the drip-drip of calling for tax returns for the remainder of the time, up until the end.

Pre-casting Romney as shady and a possible cheat if not thief.

Often a horse stumbling out of the gate has no chance to recover enough to win the race. Romney has been deliberately tripped now, but using his own feet to stumble over.

Phase 2? 3? 4? will be clips of his Republican opponents pressing these same attack lines. Buy popcorn companies' stocks, as this will be a lengthy show.