PDA

View Full Version : R. Donahue Peebles, Obama Fundraiser

Qtec
07-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Wow! This guy is an Obama supporter??????

The righties will love this. Its no surprise that I disagree with just about everything the guy says. He has no concept of 'fair'.

This could be Mitt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I'm so tired of hearing that the rich are not paying their fair share of taxes. Yeah we are," Peebles said. "The super vast majority of wealthy Americans do not wake up every day and say, 'Let's see how we can pay less than our fair share of taxes.' They say, 'We're going to follow the law and we're going to hire some good accountants to tell us how to do it. And we're going to pay no more or no less than our fair share.' </div></div>

LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'Let's see how we can pay <u>less than our fair share of taxes.</u>' They say, .............<span style='font-size: 14pt'> we're going to hire some good accountants to tell us how to do it.</span> </div></div>

Read it here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/10/r-donahue-pebles-obama-fundraiser_n_1663361.html)

Q

eg8r
07-17-2012, 02:05 AM
So you are saying there actually might be one Dem voter actually using his brain? The left has refused, as a whole, to provide their own definition of "fair".

eg8r

LWW
07-17-2012, 03:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Wow! This guy is an Obama supporter??????

The righties will love this. Its no surprise that I disagree with just about everything the guy says. He has no concept of 'fair'.

This could be Mitt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I'm so tired of hearing that the rich are not paying their fair share of taxes. Yeah we are," Peebles said. "The super vast majority of wealthy Americans do not wake up every day and say, 'Let's see how we can pay less than our fair share of taxes.' They say, 'We're going to follow the law and we're going to hire some good accountants to tell us how to do it. And we're going to pay no more or no less than our fair share.' </div></div>

LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'Let's see how we can pay <u>less than our fair share of taxes.</u>' They say, .............<span style='font-size: 14pt'> we're going to hire some good accountants to tell us how to do it.</span> </div></div>

Read it here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/10/r-donahue-pebles-obama-fundraiser_n_1663361.html)

Q </div></div>

You have now gone to the point of taking quotes out of context in order to spoon feed your own self.

No matter ho low the bar is set ... you always can slither under.

Qtec
07-17-2012, 03:31 AM
When it comes to taxation, he who makes more pays more tax.

A radical thought?

Q

LWW
07-17-2012, 03:38 AM
Who said it was?

Why are you changing the subject.

You truncated a quote to change it's meaning.

Why did you do that?

Qtec
07-17-2012, 03:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have now gone to the point of taking quotes out of context in order to spoon feed your own self. </div></div>

At this point, someone like SoFla or Gayle or myself would provide links and evidence to support this claim if we agreed with it.

YOU never do!

You somehow think anything you utter must be the truth.

Its the definition of stupidity. Especially when you have been shot down SOOOOOOOOO many times.

Q......JMO

LWW
07-17-2012, 07:31 AM
I have a link roving what I accuse you of as truth.

Would you like it?

Soflasnapper
07-17-2012, 09:45 AM
He has a good general point, in my opinion.

Most people in businesses that do things, make things, who are not in the financial services sector, do not get abusive tax favors.

It is in the financial services sector where they treat ordinary income from consulting arrangements, and management fees, as carried interest or cap gains, maxing out the top rate at 15%.

Now it used to be that the financial sector was a much smaller part of the economy, and they did not enjoy huge tax benefits. (I don't know when this carried interest tax break started, actually.)

But prior to the collapse, and part of the collapse, was that the financial services sector grew to make 40% of all corporate profits in the country. Even though they made nothing, and were there to provide financial intermediation, hooking up capital to borrowers. That should have provided a nice life style of income, but not the multi-billions they grabbed.

So an ordinary businessman looks at himself and his fellow businessmen colleagues and complains-- WHO is he (the president) talking about?

Not them, particularly.

Qtec
07-18-2012, 01:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So an ordinary businessman looks at himself and his fellow businessmen colleagues and complains-- WHO is he (the president) talking about?

Not them, particularly. </div></div>

Not them at all. The GOP loves to meld billionaires and Joe the Plumber into one entity, ie the small business. Its BS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">R. Donahue Peebles
CHAIRMAN AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

Recognized as one of the most successful entrepreneurs in the nation, R. Donahue Peebles is the owner of The Peebles Corporation, the country's largest African American real estate development company with a multi-billion dollar development portfolio of luxury hotels, high-rise residential and Class A commercial properties and developments in Washington, D.C., Las Vegas and Miami Beach.

Mr. Peebles has been featured in publications such as The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, Forbes and Ebony. In August 2010, Black Enterprise named him among 40 “Business Titans who shaped our World” and he was featured on the cover of Black Enterprise’s November 2009 issue. Mr. Peebles appears regularly on CNN, CNBC and FOX to advise on real estate, economic and political issues. He has been profiled on shows such as Neil Cavuto, The Big Idea and Larry King Live as well as on the nationally syndicated "Tom Joyner Morning Show" and “Steve Harvey” radio programs. In May 2009, Forbes listed Mr. Peebles in the top ten of the wealthiest black Americans in the country. </div></div>

This is the guy bitching about how the Govt is taking all his money and its not fair?

There is a disconnect here. Romney shows why.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What better time than a high-dollar country club fundraiser to defend against charges of plutocracy and express sympathy for the little people? At just such a fundraiser in Mississippi, Mitt Romney tried to rebut the conclusion frequently drawn from the fact that Republican policy is dedicated to making the rich richer and cutting services for everyone who's not rich:

<span style="color: #3333FF">"I know that people in this room are probably doing relatively well, relative to folks across this country. But not everyone in America is doing so well right now, it’s tough being middle class in America right now," Romney said. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>"The waiters and waitresses that come in and out of this room and offer us refreshments, they’re not having a good year.</span></span> </div></div>

Gasp!!!!!!!!!!!!

How would he know?

Romney tells us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The people of the middle class of America are really struggling. <span style='font-size: 17pt'>And they’re struggling, <u>I think,</u> in a way because they’re surprised,</span> because when they voted for Barack Obama, he promised them that things were going to get a heck a lot of better," Romney said. "He promised hope and change and they’re still waiting." </div></div>

Yes Mitt. They are struggling not because they lost their job, their house, their HC insurance,saw their pension disappear, etc,... <span style='font-size: 14pt'>its because "they're surprised"!!!!!</span>

Clueless.

QED

Q

BTW...Waiters and waitresses do have it tough, especially if they're tipped workers making the federal tipped worker minimum wage of $2.13

Soflasnapper
07-18-2012, 10:25 AM
I agree with all of that you say.

It still remains the case that a large group of those well off, in the lower realms of income just above $250k, are not especially 'wealthy' in any real sense of the word (except having an 5-6 x multiple of the median income). Comfortable, able to make their bills, yes, usually, perhaps. Wealthy? Not really.

Now it's also true that that first $250k wouldn't be hit with an increase, only the smaller excess amount over it, but people don't actually understand that, apparently. The press states these things incorrectly, either out of incompetence or as witting propagandists (more often the former than the latter, in my view).