PDA

View Full Version : Snooker Stance v Pool Stance

10-04-2002, 07:33 PM
Firstly, i should say that i am from Australia. Here cue sports don't really have that large a following, with our great weather, people prefer to surf, swim and laze on the beach

The cue sports scene (like most things in Australia), is influenced by both the UK and the US. Pool is still the most popular cue sport especially in bars etc but in the Pool halls, snooker is about equally popular

So whilst UK players, even those who play Pool will be very influenced by Snooker and US players will be almost totally influenced by Pool, i have a bit of both to choose from which leads me to my question

Snooker Stance v Pool Stance

I've started analyzing stances of top snooker and pool players, sadly i don't have access to much footage of the top pool players, i've only seen Strickland, Archer and Cory Deul.

Top snooker players to a tee have the same stance, chin on cue, feet shoulder width apart and perpendicular to the shot. Pool players seem to have the left foot more in front of the right and the chin isn't necessarily on the cue but is usually only a bit above (say 2-3 inches). Interesting, Mika Immonen who is from europe seems to play more like a snooker player

What advantages does a Pool stance have over a Snooker stance ? To me it seems that Snooker involves more longer pots so stands to reason that for accuracy the Snooker stance has to be superior.

thoughts ?

Opps, should also add that i am very happy to stumble accross this forum which actually has posters ! most Pool forums are dead as a dead rat . I will register soon and start posting regularly /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
10-04-2002, 07:44 PM
Welcome to the Billiards Digest Cue Chalk Board.

We have a regular poster that has just returned from the down under.. Vagabond.. is his/her name.. no one really knows (except a very few) the true identity of this pool player.. but Vagabond seems to show up all over the country (USA) and lets us know one way or another that he's been there..

Not knowing much about snooker players, I really can't comment about the stance differences. I do know that Allison Fisher has a typical snooker stance and does very well with 9 ball here in the states..

Ludba
10-04-2002, 08:13 PM
Pool has as wide variety of stances, most of them with the head not as close to the cue. In 99 Critical Shots, Ray Martin even suggests that one can be too low to the cue. It's one of the few things I take issue with in his book. But watching 9-ball, I find a lot of players are getting further down on the cue.

From what I've heard, the distance from the cue is a comfort issue, whereas chin-on-cue is argued as producing greater accuracy. I find that the people I play with are concerned with comfort in making the shot. I used to be, but eventually I started stretching lower and lower until my back got used to it and stopped hurting. I understand that being relaxed and comfortable makes it easier to focus on a good stroke, but getting lower on the cue make sighting easier and eliminates one cause for misses so that I hone in on other problems in shooting.

It seems to me that Martin and others who stand with a 2 to 5 inch gap between cue and chin have learned to play despite this, but it says nothing for how advantageous it is.

The analogy of shooting a rifle is appropriate. You should aim down the sights, not from the hip.

10-05-2002, 10:54 AM
Ask the average American pool player why they do what they do and they'll look at you like you have two heads. Duh...I dunno...I just do it that way. Ask the average British player and they will have a logical and sensible explanation. Not to knock all American players, there are some who really do study the game, but they are the minority for sure compared to the Brits.

I suggest you stick with the snooker stance until someone proves otherwise that the "American" stance is better.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-05-2002, 11:13 AM
Ask a British person about the NFL, MLB, NBA or the PGA and they will tell you all they know about Snooker..

10-07-2002, 11:10 AM
In a nutshell it is this...

The snooker stance "forces" more of a straight, compact stroke. It is therefore better for accuracy. The Pool stance allows a more free, long stroke. It is therefore better for putting a lot of action on the cueball.

Keep in mind that these are pretty broad, high-level generalizations. But in three sentances or less, that is the main difference.

Fred Agnir
10-07-2002, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr>What advantages does a Pool stance have over a Snooker stance ? To me it seems that Snooker involves more longer pots so stands to reason that for accuracy the Snooker stance has to be superior.<hr></blockquote>
Where Snooker puts an emphasis on long pots, pool puts more emphasis on cueball movement and angles (than snooker). That's why the stance for each game looks different: different emphasis. Note that most 3C players have a more upright stance than most pool players. 3C has even more emphasis on cueball movement than pool. So, the difference in stance makes sense.

<a target="_blank" href=http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;selm=8pltuc%24jp5%241%40sshuraab-i-1.production.compuserve.com>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;selm=8pltuc%24jp5%241%40sshuraab-i-1.production.compuserve.com</a>

Fred

Fred Agnir
10-07-2002, 11:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I do know that Allison Fisher has a typical snooker stance and does very well with 9 ball here in the states.. <hr></blockquote>
I think most snooker players will say (and have said) that Allison Fisher does not have a typical snooker stance. It may look more like snooker than pool to pool players, but it doesn't resemble a snooker stance anymore to snooker players.

Even Karen Corr has changed her stance such that it is vastly different than her stance when she first came to the U.S.

Fred

10-07-2002, 12:01 PM
Fred,

How does Allison's stance differ from a regular snooker stance? Her feet are very square, which I thought was a hallmark of the snooker stance.

Just curious.

Thanks.

Fred Agnir
10-08-2002, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Fred,

How does Allison's stance differ from a regular snooker stance? Her feet are very square, which I thought was a hallmark of the snooker stance.

Just curious.

Thanks. <hr></blockquote>
Check the link I gave above on another reply. The linked post is from a snooker players point of view. In a nutshell, because potting is de-emphasized in pool, while more speed/power is necessary on a variety of shots, Allison's stance has changed accordingly. She's less square, her legs are slightly bent, she uses a closed bridge sometimes. It's also noticeable that she raises the butt of her cue quite often. All of these changes accomodate more speed/power in the stroke.

As a side note, I watched Karen Corr the other day and noticed that she was using the closed bridge (loop over) on the *majority* of shots. There's also been a noticeable change in Karen's stance when compared to her first tournaments in the U.S.

Fred

10-08-2002, 09:11 AM
The players are accessible at tournaments. You can talk to them rather than speculate. Karen recently said her stance is pure snooker. You may not agree with her but that's how she feels.

Fred Agnir
10-08-2002, 09:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> The players are accessible at tournaments. You can talk to them rather than speculate. Karen recently said her stance is pure snooker. You may not agree with her but that's how she feels. <hr></blockquote>
I'm not speculating. Whether they feel it or not, you can observe for yourself. Sometimes, we have no idea what we look like without videotape.

For example, with Allison, I have a videotape of her from the early 90's pre-USA. I don't have to speculate the difference in stance.

Fred

10-08-2002, 11:38 AM
I can't speak for all of the reasons why it works (for me), but I recently developed a snooker style stance and found it improved my game significantly--especially the long shots.

One theory on why this may help some is that it drastically decreased the vertical movement of the arm such as happens when you drop your elbow or shoulder. I found that an upright stance allows for almost unlimited vertical arm/shoulder movement. But getting down into the shot tends to lock the upper arm and shoulder in place. It may be true that it limits your power, but is that a bad thing?

Just my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.