PDA

View Full Version : GOP senators block top Obama jobs initiative

Qtec
07-20-2012, 11:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Washington (CNN) -- Senate Republicans on Thursday blocked the No.1 item on the president's congressional "to-do-list," <span style='font-size: 14pt'>refusing to allow a vote on a bill that would <u>give tax breaks for companies that "insource"</u> jobs to the U.S. from overseas while <u>eliminating tax deductions for companies that move jobs abroad.</u></span></div></div>

How can they be against this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With job creation the top issue this campaign season, and outsourcing being blamed as a big contributor to the high unemployment rate, Democrats saw the bill as an election-year winner. Sponsored by Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Michigan, who is running for reelection, the bill made it to the top of the "to-do list" for Congress President Barack Obama unveiled earlier this year.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>The Bring Jobs Home Act would provide a 20% tax break for the costs of moving jobs back to the United States and would rescind business expense deductions available to companies that are associated with the cost of moving operations overseas.</span>

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, had warned Democrats before the vote that his party would want to amend the bill -- possibly with hot-button issues like repealing the health care reform law or extending the Bush-era tax cuts for all income levels.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, responded that those amendments were not germane to the bill and he would not allow votes on them.

In addition, Republican aides called attention to opposition by business groups like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the National Association of Manufacturers, who generally support Republicans. </div></div>

Joe nails it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday chided Senate Republicans for blocking a vote on a bill that would give tax breaks to companies that bring back jobs to the U.S. from overseas.

"They prevented us from even being able to get a vote on that. So it's dead. It's dead," Biden said in a campaign speech in Ohio.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>"They maintained a tax cut to take your company abroad and refused to give a tax cut to bring your company home,"</span> he said. </div></div>

Q

Soflasnapper
07-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Again, you mean?

Grapenut
07-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Gridlock is good. Long live a do nothing Congress.

Nut

Soflasnapper
07-22-2012, 01:39 PM
If you think it is a winning political argument that the federal government ought to exactly nothing, and that will improve things, then your signature name is most appropriate (Nut).

Is that what ANYONE advocates? The GOP may hate all of Obama's proposed projects, I understand. But they want a bunch of things changed, in order, they claim, to get the economy moving.

ALL those things require Congressional action, passing new tax cuts, whatever it is they say will do the trick.

None of that can be done with gridlock. If the GOP takes the WH and the Senate, and the Dems lock up everything under the 60 vote standard, somehow I think you'd sing a different tune.

Qtec
07-23-2012, 02:08 AM
To advocate gridlock is to be against the democratic process.

"Hey. I don't give a crap about the majority vote. I will use every trick in the book to oppose this POTUS, regardless of whether I think its a good idea or not."

Its one thing to oppose a Pres on HIS policies, its another to oppose him on policies you yourself have proposed.

People should realise that.

Q