PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Hands Obama A Gift In London

DiabloViejo
07-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Mitt Romney's Olympics blunder stuns No 10 and hands gift to Obama
US presidential hopeful backtracks on warning of 'disconcerting' signs for Games after light-hearted rebuke by David Cameron
Nicholas Watt, Hélène Mulholland and Owen Gibson
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 26 July 2012 13.05 EDT

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/7/26/1343322139992/Mitt-Romney-leaves-10-Dow-008.jpg

Mitt Romney handed Barack Obama a priceless gift for the US presidential election campaign when the presumptive Republican nominee blundered on his first diplomatic outing by questioning whether London was capable of staging a successful Olympic Games.

In a move that astonished Downing Street, hours before it laid on a special reception for Romney at No 10 he told NBC there were "disconcerting" signs about the preparations for the Games.

One senior Whitehall source said: "What a total shocker. We are speechless."

David Cameron wasted no time in slapping down Romney hours after his remarks were broadcast. On a visit to the Olympic Park, the prime minister said: "We are holding an Olympic Games in one of the busiest, most active, bustling cities anywhere in the world. Of course it's easier if you hold an Olympic Games in the middle of nowhere."

Cameron's remarks were intended to be a light-hearted rebuke to Romney, who used his famous management skills honed at Bain Capital to rescue the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics in 2002.

Romney frantically rowed back later after a 45-minute meeting in Downing Street where the prime minister expressed his unease about his remarks. "I am very delighted with the prospects of a highly successful Olympic Games. What I have seen shows imagination and forethought and a lot of organisation and [I] expect the Games to be highly successful," he said.

When asked about the preparations for the Olympics earlier in the day by the NBC anchor Brian Williams, Romney said: "You know, it's hard to know just how well it will turn out. There are a few things that were disconcerting, the stories about the private security firm not having enough people, supposed strike of the immigration and customs officials, that obviously is not something which is encouraging. Because there are three parts that makes Games successful.

"Number one, of course, are the athletes. That's what overwhelmingly the Games are about. Number two are the volunteers. And they'll have great volunteers here. But number three are the people of the country. Do they come together and celebrate the Olympic moment? And that's something which we only find out once the Games actually begin."

Boris Johnson also waded in to reject Romney's claim. "London is as ready as any city has ever been in the history of the Olympic Games," the London mayor said.

Romney's remarks are likely to be used by the Obama campaign to highlight his lack of sensitivity and his inexperience on the world stage. There was irritation in No 10 because Cameron had gone out of his way to make Romney as welcome as possible without breaching strict protocol rules.

Romney was given an important photo opportunity by being allowed to walk through the famous No 10 front door, though he had to do this on his own because he is not a head of government or state. Once inside the prime minister laid out the diplomatic red carpet. There was a warm handshake for the cameras before they held talks for 45 minutes about the Olympics, Syria, Iran, Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Earlier, Romney appeared to forget Ed Miliband's name when they met at Westminster. "Like you, Mr Leader, I look forward to our conversations this morning," Romney said to Miliband as they shook hands.

Labour sources were relaxed about the "Mr Leader" reference, which revived memories of Neil Kinnock's notorious visit to the White House when Ronald Reagan referred to Denis Healey as Mr Ambassador. A Miliband aide said US politicians always referred to fellow politicians by their job title.

On his first official diplomatic trip since he became the presumptive Republican candidate, Romney held a series of "grip and grin" meetings with political leaders. He started the day meeting Tony Blair – the most recognisable political figure in the US – to brief him before Romney's visit to Israel.

He also met Nick Clegg, William Hague and George Osborne. One meeting was held way from the cameras when Romney was briefed by Sir John Sawers, the chief of the Secret Intelligence Service, MI6. <u>This prompted Romney's third blunder of the day when Romney announced in Downing Street that he had met Sawers. Visiting dignitaries tend not to announce when they meet the head of MI6.</u>

Gayle in MD
07-26-2012, 11:58 AM
LMAO!

From this:

'told NBC there were "disconcerting" signs about the preparations for the Games.'

To this:

"You know, it's hard to know just how well it will turn out. There are a few things that were disconcerting, the stories about the private security firm not having enough people, supposed strike of the immigration and customs officials, that obviously is not something which is encouraging. Because there are three parts that makes Games successful.

"Number one, of course, are the athletes. That's what overwhelmingly the Games are about. Number two are the volunteers. And they'll have great volunteers here. But number three are the people of the country. Do they come together and celebrate the Olympic moment? And that's something which we only find out once the Games actually begin."

BWA HA HA HA, in record time.

The Flipper Flops by flopping!

I always thought he would ruin his own chances with his own lying mouth. Every day that goes by, proves that likelihood even more.

People in the media are taking bets now whenever he says anything, on how long it will be before he does another flip-flop! I have heard from a very knowledgeable source that this is turning into quite a wide reaching betting game in D.C. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Hey, as long as he keeps on walking like a frilly little reluctant ballet dancer, he's going to continue to look like the fool he is, even before he opens up his lyng mouth!

A real bofus lying a$$ POS!

Poor Mitsey, he was born with a golden foot in his mouth!

G.

DiabloViejo
07-26-2012, 04:04 PM
The gift just keeps on giving! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

London mayor calls out Romney in front of 100,000 at Olympic torch lighting

w/ Video at the link: London Mayor Calls Out Romney (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/26/london-mayor-calls-out-romney-in-front-of-100000-at-olympic-torch-lighting/)

Soflasnapper
07-26-2012, 05:24 PM
From Andrew Sullivan's page, where he asked British readers of his blog The Dish to weigh in:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

26 Jul 2012 06:49 PM
Brit Dishheads On Romney

Tweet from #romneyshambles: 'Worse than Sarah Palin!' 'Total car crash.' Two of the kinder verdicts.

Screen shot 2012-07-26 at 6.54.13 PM

Well, I asked for it. One Londoner writes:

In ANGLO SAXON terms: tone-deaf, shit-for-brains, gormless, charm-free. Going down like a cup of cold sick and featured in the first 3 minutes of the BBC ten o'clock news, in a highly disparaging fashion. FAIL. (Actually just the kind of wanker we need to FINALLY get behind the games!)

Another is more polite:

My view is that the British will first of all think of Romney as showing very poor manners. He's a visitor - and a private citizen at that. He's our guest in London, and as you will know from your British childhood, if you're a guest, you have responsibilities. The transatlantic politics geek in me also thinks this may play appallingly with exactly the US voters Romney needs.

My imagination of an independent or swing voter is someone suspicious of government, deeply wedded to American exceptionalism and firmly of the belief (for reasons varying from the war to Downton Abbey to the Beatles and the Stones and many other shared cultural and political experiences) that while the British don't run US policy, they are always, always deserving of complete respect and invariably worth agreeing with. This is exactly Obama's attitude to the Brits - and he can be trusted to be a polite, dignified guest.

Another:

I'm an English Liberal Democrat but I have to say that Romney is an excellent advert for conservatism. Unfortunately for him it's British conservatism, a philosophy I disagree with but one that looks commendably sane in comparison to his blundering, ill-informed and opaque, radical 0.001%ism. Long live the Tories!

[...] [from an earlier blog entry:

email

26 Jul 2012 06:15 PM
"The Nation Of Great Britain"

That was Romney's phrase. No such nation exists. The nations of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all nations under the United Kingdom (since 1800). It's always a good idea when visiting a country to call it by its rightful name. Mitt's total cluelessness abroad is as striking to me as the vacuousness of his foreign policy "ideas". I bet you his Likudnik madness on Greater Israel didn't go down well in Downing Street either.</div></div>

Some of these do strike me as pure gaffes. Not so much the concerns he expressed about the Olympics, exactly, which is more an unpolitic expression of what is probably exactly the truth in his view.

It's a little too bad people cannot speak honestly always, lest it be termed a gaffe. That's Mike Kinsley's definition of a Washington DC gaffe-- when someone accidentally tells an unwelcome truth.

Gayle in MD
07-26-2012, 08:00 PM
The Telegraph one of the busiest
Commentary: If Mitt Romney doesn't like us, we shouldn't care.

'Mitt Romney is perhaps the only politician who could start a trip that was supposed to be a charm offensive by being utterly devoid of charm and mildly offensive.'

British Prime Minister, David Cameron:

"We are holding an Olympic Games in one of the busiest most bustling cities anywhere in the world and of course it's esiesr if you hold the Olympic Games in the middle of nowhere."

Nice crack at Romney, lol.

Romney tried to walk it back, after stirring up national anger in the UK, but as always, he failed, and only continued to make things worse.

Here is how Mayor Borth Johnson, London, addressed the crowd in Hyde Park, as he rallied the crowd of over sixty thousand angry at Mitsey, British:

'There are some people coming from around the world who don't yet know about all the preperations we've done to get London ready in the last seven years. I hear there's a guy, there's a guy called Mitt Romney who wants to know whether we're ready, he wants to know whether we're ready, ARE WE READY? ARE WE READY?'

Crowd's response....'YES WE ARE!!! YES WE ARE!!!' From a wildly cheering crowd of offended British (former?) allies.

Not one, but a series of gaffes during his first day overseas. He further gaffed it up in a meeting with the opposition leader, as reported in the Daily Mail:

"During a meeting with Mr. Miliband at Westminster, <u>the American </u>made another gaffe as he seemingly didn't know who the Labour party chief was, and addressed him as 'Mr. Leader'.

Earlier in the day while addressing the British Press Corps Romney managed to pull his golden foot out of his mouth long enough to throw out this little name dropping doozey:

'That I appreciate the insights and perspectives uh uh of the leaders of the government here, uh, and opposition here as well as the, the uh the head of MI6....OMG'! MI6 isn't talked about!

The Guardian:
"For our American readership, this isn't like bragging you just met David Petraeus. The British's take on the National Secret Intelligent Service comes with an extra heavy dollop of the whole secret thing. The very existence of the MI6 was not officially acknowledged until 1994."

Nicholas Watt

Then on to the hashtags....too many to list, lol....

There was an entire meme created on Critter today under the hashtag #Romney Shambles.

Here's how the political editor of London Daily Mail summed up the reaction from Whitehall, which is sort of the colloquial name for the British Government:

Jammes chapman (Mail)

'Serious dismay in Whitehall at Romney debut. 'Worse than Sarah Palin.' 'Total car crash'..... (Two of the kinder verdicts)....
#romney shambles.....

Sometimes I think Romney is minimally retarded...really!

G.