PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Cut In Simonas, Repair?

Sid_Vicious
07-28-2012, 11:21 PM
I got up this morning and found my light fixture over the table fell on one end due to wall anchors failing over all these years. The result was this cut caused by one of sharp edges of a bulb hoods.

Would I just make matters worse by attempting a repair on this? Any ideas? This cut is located on the basic center line, out near the middle of the table but toward the breaking end.

Thanks,
Sid

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv215/sidvic999/FeltCut.jpg

cushioncrawler
07-29-2012, 01:33 AM
I would mix up some 5 minute araldite and pour it along the cut.
The top will take up a smooth horizontal look if u pour it straight away, ie before it starts to go off too much.
Dont overfill.
Dont try to pull the 2 sides together.
Dont try to remoov some araldite while wet if u hav overfilled.
Dont worry about the araldite sticking to the base, it iz eezyly remooved later by sanding etc, or even sooner.
The repair will look krapp, it will look black probly, but i think u kan paint this (green) if u want.

I havnt tryd this, but i might firstly tamp the kut flat with a hammer. U karnt really tamp it down before the araldite iz hard, unless praps u covered it with powder (green chalk) so that the araldite didnt stick to the hammer.

I reckon that any other remedy will make the balls jump, no matter how fine the stitching, no matter how thin the sticky tape.
mac.

I had a small kut on my kloth from dropping a hammer. I stuck a big spot over it to hide it. This worked ok, alltho some vizitors sometimes wondered what sort of game needed a spot there. Praps a big oversized spot would work ok on your big kut.

Tony_in_MD
07-29-2012, 05:56 AM
I would first create an account on AZ Billiards, and post this question in the Table Mechanic forum.

I would refrain from doing anything else until I heard back from from them.

Rich R.
07-29-2012, 07:43 AM
Fabric stores have small, iron on, patches. You could get one large enough to cover the cut with room to spare. Slide the patch through the cut, to the bottom side of the cloth, being careful to orient the proper side of the patch toward the cloth. Then push the cut edges together slightly and go over it with a hot iron per the instructions that come with the patch.

I think there are different types of patches so you may want to do some label reading in the store to determine which will work best.

I'm sure this won't give you a perfect patch but it is inexpensive and it will probably work as well as anything else.

I'm not sure any of the suggestions will work and you may be SOL until you feel like recovering the table.

Sid_Vicious
07-29-2012, 11:31 AM
I did read where you can use super glue on tears and I am thinking of maybe very carefully applying a thin layer under one edge between the cloth and the slate, let it set up hard and then doing the same on the other side, but adding a bit of finger pressure to "close the wound" until that side sets up. I am just leary in believing that the super glue will bond to the slate surface. It could be a mess if it doesn't bond to the slate, but I believe that if careful with the amount of SG applied, that I'd still heve the option of covering it with a spot decal.

I may just end up putting a spot decal over it and going on with life in the short term. sid

cushioncrawler
07-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Bonding to the slate sounds good. In fakt thats what i woz trying to do when i first uzed araldite, but it took too long to go off and i ended up just uzing araldite az fill.
Superglue might work ok. And a spot to cover shood be ok.

But a patch under or over will send balls allmost off the table.
mac.

Rich R.
07-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Sid, the real problem is that I think you are only going to get one shot at this repair. If you try something and it doesn't work, the cloth is most likely going to be so screwed up, you won't be able to do a decent repair after that. If I were you, I wouldn't play on the table until you get it fixed and I would really think about all options before making a decision.

Eric.
07-30-2012, 05:18 AM
I've seen this repair done with decent results.

You need crazy glue (CA glue, not gel), wax paper and a small piece of Simonis cloth. A scrap piece will do.

Take the cloth and cut it into shavings, with scissors. Fill the cut with a light layer of shaving, just enough to cover the cut, with a small bit of overlap of the edges. Next, soak the shavings with glue. You don't need to pour it on, but you need enough to make the area damp. Next, take the wax paper and cover the area, rub the area flat with a bottle/glass/piece of wood/etc and remove the wax paper carefully, in a slow, peeling motion.

*DISCLAIMER*- I've only seen this done, but haven't done it myself.

The results are decent. Obviously, it won't be like new, but it will keep your cloth from tearing further. If you do a good job and get the shavings nice and level, it actually will not affect play on all but the slowest rolling balls.

Maybe you should practice this with a spare piece of cloth, before moving to your table. Then again, the cloth is ruined anyway, so...

Eric