PDA

View Full Version : Pocket size

nAz
10-05-2002, 10:50 AM
need info on pro billiard pocket size . what do they play with and ball dimention too thanks.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-05-2002, 10:53 AM
2 inch balls are standard size

4 inch pockets are standard for the Pro events.

nAz
10-05-2002, 10:55 AM
Kewl tanks for the quick answer, but next time be faster! lol

Tom_In_Cincy
10-05-2002, 11:08 AM
Young kids.. LOL.. fast, faster and fastest..

Slow down.. smell the roses.. learn One Pocket.. you'll live longer

nAz
10-05-2002, 12:55 PM
Tom i love that game. not very good at it only played it 10-15 times 1st few time was with Gerda, she showed my how to break and a little stratgie, problem is no on around my area plays it! /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

heater451
10-05-2002, 01:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>Young kids.. LOL.. fast, faster and fastest..

Slow down.. smell the roses.. learn One Pocket.. you'll live longer
<hr></blockquote>"There's more to life, than speeding it up."

=================

10-05-2002, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> 2 inch balls are standard size

4 inch pockets are standard for the Pro events. <hr></blockquote>

on pocket size, i'm not at all sure that's right. i do know the wpba sets up single shim at 4 3/4" and, judging by how far up the rail they were able to hit and still make the ball, i'd say the open was running the full 5".

dan

Tom_In_Cincy
10-05-2002, 05:05 PM
The US Open was using Diamond tables with 4 pockets.

I have been to some WPBA events and they use a very loose 4 pocket size.

10-05-2002, 05:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> The US Open was using Diamond tables with 4 pockets.

I have been to some WPBA events and they use a very loose 4 pocket size. <hr></blockquote>

tom, it's not very useful to just keep saying something. how do you know they were 4 1/2? they played very big based on what i saw. what is your source?

dan

Tom_In_Cincy
10-05-2002, 05:45 PM
Dan,

Next time I make a statement.. I will be sure to include more details to keep everyone understanding why I said what I said..

The Details..

I was there, got to the TV table and tried to fit two balls into the corner pocket. I also checked other tables. Same result. I was curious too.. that's why I did it.

I also was watching the cue ball-to-object ball sighting during the prep-stroking.

I was also watching for the pause just before the final stroke.. how it varied from player to player.

I was also watching the length of the bridge..and where they hold the butt.

I also took notes on what shots the players used to warm up.. or did they just throw balls on the tables..

If you are interested in my notes and observation details.. please PM me..

SPetty
10-05-2002, 05:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> If you are interested in my notes and observation details.. please PM me..
<hr></blockquote>Hi Tom,

This looks like the kind of information that most of us would be very interested in. Any way I could persuade you to open a new thread with your info?

Tom_In_Cincy
10-05-2002, 06:13 PM
SPetty,

I am orgainizing my notes from the last 5 major Pro events that I have been to, (last years US Open, this years, and 3 Derby City Classic tournaments) and the next 2 (Glass City Open and 2003 Derby City Classic) and combined them for my website. Right now.. they are just a big stack of notes.. with dates, players.. and observations. Good stuff, but not presentable yet.

Rip
10-05-2002, 06:47 PM
Dan, the balls tend to "slide" into the pockets on the brand new Simonis. Remember when you first dressed Marlene in her new Simonis? She was probably much more forgiving then than she is now. Maybe that's what they mean by "the honeymoon is over". LOL, Rip

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; 2 inch balls are standard size

4 inch pockets are standard for the Pro events. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

on pocket size, i'm not at all sure that's right. i do know the wpba sets up single shim at 4 3/4" and, judging by how far up the rail they were able to hit and still make the ball, i'd say the open was running the full 5".

dan <hr></blockquote>

10-05-2002, 07:36 PM
The tables at the Open were definately not running 5 inches, they were actually a little smaller than 4.5

10-05-2002, 10:31 PM
Dan, as Rip explained, 4-1/2" corner pocket specs on brand newly installed Simonis 860 cloth (at pro tournaments) will actually play about the equivalent of 5" pockets on broken-in Simonis cloth.

Like Tom in Cincy, at virtually every tourney I attend as a player or a spectator, I always make a point to go up to the tables and check out the pocket specs with two balls. At last week's U.S. Open they were right at 4-1/2" (exactly 2 balls width at the mouth), and at the last few WPBA tourney's I've attended they were just over 2 balls - about 4-5/8".

Tournament tables on both pro tours appear to play quite forgiving - particularly on the easier paced shots. However, those same tables will play brutally tough after about 6 months of wear on the cloth!

Considering how new Simonis cloth at pro tournaments essentially cancels out the tighter 4-1/2" pocket specs in their attempt to make the tables play tougher than standard specs, I've proposed for a long time that the men pros could easily tighten their tourney specs to 4-1/4" and possibly even to 4". A major problem here is whether the tables and pockets would play well with 3-4 layers of pocket facings. Most will not play that well - balls hit into the pocket facing material outside the mouth will simply not rebound consistently as those hit off the cushion rubber. Unfortunately table manufacturers simply will not custom make tighter pocket specs to their customer's desire the correct method - by stretching the cushion rubber longer. - Chris in NC

Greg/Diamond
10-06-2002, 02:36 AM
It seems most people are concerned with the pocket opening as being the determining factor as how tight or difficult a pocket plays. I'd like to make a comment that one might consider. The opening on the US Open tables was indeed 4 1/2 inches tip to tip. But this measurement only relates to straight in or near straight in shots.............. One must consider the facing angle and slate depth to consider true difficulty, because they control where or whether a ball can contact a rail before entering a pocket. Down the rail shots become extremely difficult, especially after the cloth is broke in............ The angle used at the US open was 142 degrees. Remember this angle must change as different pocket openings are used. That's why using 2 or 3 facings to tighten you're pockets doesn't always give you your desired results. There is a ratio between pocket opening and angles that should be maintained IMO.....Greg/Diamond