PDA

View Full Version : White "burn" spots on the felt generated from heat

Tony777
08-03-2012, 11:06 PM
How much heat is developed when shooting the cue ball to form those white "burn" spots on the felt? My pool table is littered with them. Any way to avoid them in the future?

Tony_in_MD
08-04-2012, 04:54 AM
Here is a few things you can do to minimize the burn marks.

Use a clean set of balls, also the cheaper ball sets have more problems creating burn marks then the more expensive sets. Basically the smoother and shinier the finish on the balls the less they will burn the cloth.

Some cloths are more resistant to burn marks. Simonis 860 HR for example is one of them. So look into this when you are ready to redo your table.

In dealing with the burn marks now, clean your pool table cloth now first by vacuuming it. Then use a slightly damp (not soaking)wet microfiber cloth, brush the table. You will see that the burn marks will fade a bit

When breaking, use a break cloth (a small section of table cloth) a lot of burn marks happen when you break, and if you do break in the same place every time you will see a bunch of them in one place. Masse and jump shots also cause lots of burn marks, the only way to prevent them, is to refrain from doing these shots on the table.

Finally, learn to accept them, it is a sign of a played table. The only tables that don't have any burn marks are those that are never played on.

Rich R.
08-04-2012, 06:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tony_in_MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally, learn to accept them, it is a sign of a played table. The only tables that don't have any burn marks are those that are never played on. </div></div>

Amen.

Be proud of the burn marks. It shows you use your table for something other than folding laundry.

Tony777
08-08-2012, 05:34 AM
Another amen to that. Could'nt find any research on this but I've heard that the cue ball can generate up to 300 degrees of heat, true or false?

Rich R.
08-08-2012, 07:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tony777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another amen to that. Could'nt find any research on this but I've heard that the cue ball can generate up to 300 degrees of heat, true or false? </div></div>
I've heard something like that but I have no proof.

cushioncrawler
08-08-2012, 04:37 PM
I reckon that cotton and wool dont suffer burn marks.
But i guess that plastik kloth duzz, ie 50% plastik.

Why not uze a (green) marker to color the marks.
mac.

Tony_in_MD
08-10-2012, 04:52 AM
One thing I know is I won't use a green marker on my burn marks. I have blue cloth.

I don't want Polka-Dots on my table.