PDA

View Full Version : Dingy Harry ...

LWW
08-07-2012, 03:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LAS VEGAS Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid again deflected questions Monday about releasing his tax returns, even as he continued to pound the demand for Mitt Romney to make more of his own public.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79419.html#ixzz22quaLfkj </div></div>

Soflasnapper
08-07-2012, 07:43 AM
How DARE Sen. Harry Reid ignore the long-standing practice that suddenly, after 6 terms in office, then all senators are required to release their taxes????

Does he think he is SAFE just because he was re-elected in 2010, and will not be up for re-election again for 4 more years? Does he not realize the people of Nevada can retroactively make him run again for the 2010 election, with this tax return demand a key issue?

Answers to the last two questions: yes and no, respectively.

And he dares do this because if you have been elected 6 times, and have never provided your tax returns, then THAT is the pattern and practice the people of Nevada have accepted from him, and for some decades now.

LWW
08-07-2012, 08:29 AM
So your position is that it's entirely reasonable that MR release tax records abve and beyond the legal limit ... but completely unreasonable for DHR to do the same?

Imagine that.

eg8r
08-07-2012, 09:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How DARE Sen. Harry Reid ignore the long-standing practice that suddenly, after 6 terms in office, then all senators are required to release their taxes????</div></div>As qtip would say, "What does he have to hide?"

eg8r

LWW
08-07-2012, 11:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How DARE Sen. Harry Reid ignore the long-standing practice that suddenly, after 6 terms in office, then all senators are required to release their taxes????</div></div>As qtip would say, "What does he have to hide?"

eg8r </div></div>

The allegations are out there ... and I have sources telling me that snoopy doesn't pay taxes on all his income.

Soflasnapper
08-07-2012, 02:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So your position is that it's entirely reasonable that MR release tax records abve and beyond the legal limit ... but completely unreasonable for DHR to do the same?

Imagine that. </div></div>

There are no legal limits or minimums in this case. It's what is customary, and what is politically necessary or not based on what people can be made to believe about what is customary or isn't.

As for now, Reid has absolutely no political problems with HIS lack of providing returns. As for now, Romney has a big political problem, apparently.

Whether this is fair or not, it is the case.

LWW
08-07-2012, 02:08 PM
From you ... I'm sure he doesn't.

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>GREAT CAESAR'S GHOST HE'S A DEMOKROOK!</span>

How can he be held to the same stanards as Romney Hood?

Dance some more for me.

Soflasnapper
08-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Gosh, what a tool you prove yourself to be. Again.

When Reid runs for president, he'll be held to the standards Romney is being held to, because Romney is running for president. Has the nomination, according to what I've heard. Will be on the ballot in November, in fact.

Has Reid tried for a write-in spot, or something?

eg8r
08-07-2012, 07:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for now, Reid has absolutely no political problems with HIS lack of providing returns. As for now, Romney has a big political problem, apparently. </div></div>LOL, it is funny to see you support dirty politics when it is a (D) leading he way.

eg8r

LWW
08-08-2012, 03:10 AM
By his own words he refuses to hold them to the same standard.

Qtec
08-08-2012, 05:15 AM
What a bunch of hypocrites these guys are. After claiming Mitt doesn't need to show his tax returns, they now want every Dem who calls out Mitt for his lack of transparency to show theirs!

Can you imagine if the roles were reversed?
If it was Obama who is the challenger,the vulture capitalist with his secret bank accounts in Switzerland, Luxembourg and who knows where else.
With his cayman Island bank accounts and more than 100 shell companies to slush cash around.
With a $100 MILLION IRA and secret trust funds.

I'm sure the guys here would say, "he doesn't have to explain these things. I trust him."

Q

Gayle in MD
08-08-2012, 05:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for now, Reid has absolutely no political problems with HIS lack of providing returns. As for now, Romney has a big political problem, apparently. </div></div>LOL, it is funny to see you support dirty politics when it is a (D) leading he way.

eg8r </div></div>

No worse than your own history of defending every slandering lie and failure of Bush et al, even when they 'Swift Boated' and trashed a Veteran in a wheel chair with no legs. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Get off your high horse, sheepie boy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

G.

Qtec
08-08-2012, 05:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for now, Reid has absolutely no political problems with HIS lack of providing returns. As for now, Romney has a big political problem, apparently. </div></div>LOL, it is funny to see you support dirty politics when it is a (D) leading he way.

eg8r </div></div>

No worse than your own history of defending every slandering lie and failure of Bush et al, even when they 'Swift Boated' and trashed a Veteran in a wheel chair with no legs. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

G. </div></div>

LOL

If Fox News announced that Obama was next week playing the lead male role in a production of Swan Lake on Broadway, eg0r would say, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>"I hope he's doing it on his own time and not on tax payer's dollars!"</span>

LOL

Q

Soflasnapper
08-08-2012, 07:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for now, Reid has absolutely no political problems with HIS lack of providing returns. As for now, Romney has a big political problem, apparently. </div></div>LOL, it is funny to see you support dirty politics when it is a (D) leading he way.

eg8r </div></div>

I have commented that Reid has no obligation to release his tax returns under existing norms and standards. This happens to be true. Likewise, I will state the same as a fact for Mitch McConnell, or John Boehner, who are the Republican leaders in their bodies. None of them are under any obligation to release tax returns. If even the leaders of those bodies are not under that obligation, neither are any of the other members, as members of the Senate or House.

Unless they are running for the presidency. In that case, there is a customary obligation standard in play, although it is not a legal one. It is rather a standard practice to do that, and it has been for some decades of the history of the presidential race.

Even Mitt somewhat acknowledges this, which is why he's agreed to put out two years of his returns. It isn't dirty politics to make a big deal out of his stingy and limited disclosure. Romney used the same lines himself: 'what is he hiding?,' as to his own political opponents' similar refusal to put out tax returns.

In the end, whether that all matters is up to the voters, and whether they find that problematic or not, and decisive or not (considering all the other reasons to vote for one or the other).

I am consistent in the standards I apply to both sides of the aisle, even as I recognize the fact that differing standards apply to people in different offices. I am consistent in THOSE different standards as well.

BTW, the Romney people are not demanding Reid put forward his own taxes-- they are demanding he put forward that NAME (of the supposed tipster Reid referred to).

Qtec
08-08-2012, 08:31 AM
The only real thing we know about Mitt is that he is a habitual liar who won't release his tax returns.

Q

Gayle in MD
08-08-2012, 08:31 AM
And Senator Reid has no obligation to do so, given he got the information, apparently, from a source who, up until now, does not want to be identified.

I have a feeling that is going to change, right around September 15th, LOL... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

G.

Soflasnapper
08-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Speculation is that it was McCain or sources in his campaign.

If you noticed, McCain was interviewed on this subject, and although he says Reid 'crossed the line,' he declined to say and did not say what Reid said was false. Attacked Reid, in other words, as disreputable or whatever, but did not say 'From my personal knowledge, this allegation is false.'

Notice also that Romney's fierce comeback ("I paid taxes, a lot of taxes") does not say "I paid a lot of FEDERAL INCOME TAXES," leaving open the possibility that he was referring to property taxes, sales taxes, adding up to 'a lot of taxes,' but still allowing for the federal income tax total to be zero over those 10 years in question.

Another possibility as a knowledgeable source for Reid's claim would be the elder Huntsman, the father of the erstwhile candidate.

eg8r
08-08-2012, 10:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Notice also that Romney's fierce comeback ("I paid taxes, a lot of taxes") does not say "I paid a lot of FEDERAL INCOME TAXES," leaving open the possibility that he was referring to property taxes, sales taxes, adding up to 'a lot of taxes,' but still allowing for the federal income tax total to be zero over those 10 years in question.</div></div>He also never said he had any taxable income in those 10 years. If that was true then we would still have weenies here like qtip that don't understand why there were no federal income tax, even if any of this was true. Good for Mitt being as vague as dirty reid.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
08-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Yes, I did notice, and also noticed he was looking very uncomfortable while answering.

You may have something on the McCain theory, for sure, and that could also account for Cheney's slam at the McCain Campaign's incompetent vetting, with the ultimate disastrous result, Palin.

Cheney is known for jumping out in front of an emerging scandal, with an alternative lie, already in place for the usual REpublican "CYA" propaganda to follow.

The potential damage of the Romney campaign facing an out in front, Republican accuser, and former McCain vetter, could account for Cheney's shot at discrediting any McCain vetting operative, in advance of the media storm.

I can assure you, there are loads of Republicans around D.C., who don't like Romney one bit, and never wanted him as their contender in the first place. A former McCain insider, could surely fit the bill.

What is your opinion as regards the likelihood of Reid's informant coming out in time to impact the election?

IMO, that revelation date has already been agreed upon, and thoroughly calculated between Reid, and the informant.

G.

Soflasnapper
08-08-2012, 10:29 AM
He also never said he had any taxable income in those 10 years.

That may turn out to be a Pyrrhic victory, if that's the outcome.

For likely, he'd have had $10 to $20 million coming in (as he has from passive investments in the past two years), and although that could have been simply the purchase of his Bain stock and interests, without an alleged profit (hence, no income taxes due), it will not be understood or accepted by a large swathe of the public.

Soflasnapper
08-08-2012, 10:33 AM
What is your opinion as regards the likelihood of Reid's informant coming out in time to impact the election?

IMO, that revelation date has already been agreed upon, and thoroughly calculated between Reid, and the informant.

Well, two things occur to me on that topic.

Would the party revealing this have been under legal or ethical restrictions about revealing that private information? If so, they are likely to not reveal their identity for fear of legal or ethical sanctions.

Secondly, does that party want to stay in the good graces of the GOP? If so, again, they will not allow Reid to reveal their name.

Perhaps neither of these apply to the party, and if not, then perhaps you are right.

I take it that anyone in the vetting process for McCain would be bound by privacy requirements, so it would have to be, as Reid has said, an investor in Bain who was privy to this information that way, without any legal requirements that he keep this secret, secret.

Gayle in MD
08-08-2012, 10:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it will not be understood or accepted by a large swathe of the public. </div></div>

....Or understood completely by a large swathe, and hence, would turn many people even more against Romney.

G.

hondo
08-08-2012, 11:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Notice also that Romney's fierce comeback ("I paid taxes, a lot of taxes") does not say "I paid a lot of FEDERAL INCOME TAXES," leaving open the possibility that he was referring to property taxes, sales taxes, adding up to 'a lot of taxes,' but still allowing for the federal income tax total to be zero over those 10 years in question.</div></div>He also never said he had any taxable income in those 10 years.

eg8r </div></div>

I say good for him. I paid a fortune in taxes last year as a retired school teacher with a modest income. As a fabulously wealthy businessman, the fact that he had no taxable income shows capitalism at its grandest.
It's just silly for the middle class and Obama to bitch about any unfairness.
Plus, we can always have one Percenters like larry wilson explain why we should quit whining and be happy.

eg8r
08-08-2012, 01:12 PM
As a taxpayer, did you take advantage of any and every tax break afforded to you? Understand that what Romney pays in has no bearing on what you have to pay in.

eg8r

eg8r
08-08-2012, 01:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For likely, he'd have had $10 to $20 million coming in (as he has from passive investments in the past two years), and although that could have been simply the purchase of his Bain stock and interests, without an alleged profit (hence, no income taxes due), it will not be understood or accepted by a large swathe of the public.</div></div>It sure would fly over qtip's head.

I also agree it would not be understood by the majority of Americans. Where we appear to differ is that I recognize this same majority of American's don't even know what Reid said.

eg8r

eg8r
08-08-2012, 01:16 PM
LOL, there you go off to fantasy land. You did not even understand the fact that this could actually all be true and be completely legal. It took sofla to spell it out.

eg8r

LWW
08-08-2012, 01:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for now, Reid has absolutely no political problems with HIS lack of providing returns. As for now, Romney has a big political problem, apparently. </div></div>LOL, it is funny to see you support dirty politics when it is a (D) leading he way.

eg8r </div></div>

I have commented that Reid has no obligation to release his tax returns under existing norms and standards. This happens to be true. Likewise, I will state the same as a fact for Mitch McConnell, or John Boehner, who are the Republican leaders in their bodies. None of them are under any obligation to release tax returns. If even the leaders of those bodies are not under that obligation, neither are any of the other members, as members of the Senate or House.

Unless they are running for the presidency. In that case, there is a customary obligation standard in play, although it is not a legal one. It is rather a standard practice to do that, and it has been for some decades of the history of the presidential race.

Even Mitt somewhat acknowledges this, which is why he's agreed to put out two years of his returns. It isn't dirty politics to make a big deal out of his stingy and limited disclosure. Romney used the same lines himself: 'what is he hiding?,' as to his own political opponents' similar refusal to put out tax returns.

In the end, whether that all matters is up to the voters, and whether they find that problematic or not, and decisive or not (considering all the other reasons to vote for one or the other).

I am consistent in the standards I apply to both sides of the aisle, even as I recognize the fact that differing standards apply to people in different offices. I am consistent in THOSE different standards as well.

BTW, the Romney people are not demanding Reid put forward his own taxes-- they are demanding he put forward that NAME (of the supposed tipster Reid referred to).

</div></div>

So you agree that HR has no right or authority to demand MR release his returns?

And also BTW, it is also ... as you say ... the "CUSTOMARY AND STANDARD OBLIGATION" falls upon HR to prove his accusation.

Furthermore, even if HR's story is true ... and he is on record admitting that it most likely isn't ... the act of knowing and releasing someone's tax records is a crime. Covering for a criminal salso a crime.

Therefore HR is either a criminal, or a liar.

His history shows he is most likely both.

eg8r
08-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Romney has no obligation to release his tax records back 10 years either. Where you aren't consistent is when you accept dirty politics as a necessary evil.

eg8r

LWW
08-08-2012, 02:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Romney has no obligation to release his tax records back 10 years either. Where you aren't consistent is when you accept dirty politics as a necessary evil.

eg8r </div></div>

Without the OCCUTARD + ILLEGAL + NECRO-AMERICAN coalition, the demokrooks couldn't win a ational election.

hondo
08-08-2012, 03:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Romney has no obligation to release his tax records back 10 years either. Where you aren't consistent is when you accept dirty politics as a necessary evil.

eg8r </div></div>

Without the OCCUTARD + ILLEGAL + NECRO-AMERICAN coalition, the demokrooks couldn't win a ational election. </div></div>

Would you like to buy a consonant? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Gayle in MD
08-08-2012, 06:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for now, Reid has absolutely no political problems with HIS lack of providing returns. As for now, Romney has a big political problem, apparently. </div></div>LOL, it is funny to see you support dirty politics when it is a (D) leading he way.

eg8r </div></div>

G. </div></div>

LOL

If Fox News announced that Obama was next week playing the lead male role in a production of Swan Lake on Broadway, eg0r would say, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>"I hope he's doing it on his own time and not on tax payer's dollars!"</span>

LOL

Q </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif good one, and after he had no qualms at all for eight years over Bush being on vacation for nearly three years of his tenure in office, and flying back and forth to Texas every weekend!

BTW, just happened to catch and watch The Shock Doctine again today.

The statistics about how much money the Bush Administration doled out to their corporate cronies in Iraq, and how many innocent people were locked up in Guantanamo for years, suffering and being tortured! The job loss statistics, and loss of American wealth, under Bush! That book and movie should be mandatory!

OMG, I got so fired up I nearly missed my own Coronation!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

eg8r
08-08-2012, 07:27 PM
LOL, you should be praising the Swift Boats...According to you they taught Reid everything he knows.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
08-09-2012, 05:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, you should be praising the Swift Boats...According to you they taught Reid everything he knows.

eg8r </div></div>

Really? Where did I write that Ed?

What did you think about the Swift Boater's slanderous ads against one of our Veterans, sitting in a wheel chair?

G.

eg8r
08-12-2012, 05:29 PM
LOL, no different than what Reid did. Good student?

eg8r

Gayle in MD
08-12-2012, 08:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, no different than what Reid did. Good student?

eg8r </div></div>

You do not know at this time if Reid's statements are true.

Additionally:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, you should be praising the Swift Boats...According to you they taught Reid everything he knows.

</div></div>

That is a lie. I never said that.

G.