PDA

View Full Version : Met another DFW CCB'er today...

rackmup
10-05-2002, 10:54 PM
We (OnePocketChamp and I) were joined at Billy Weir's by "Eg8r", a long-time CCB'er who just moved to Texas from Florida with his "new" wife (of 1 year).

We started with one-pocket, playing teams and OnePocketChamp had Ed (Eg8r) as his partner. To make a long story short, Ed is new to one-hole and they lost. They did however redeem themselves in the second game by virtue of countless lucky shots and apparent cheating when we were not looking.

We also played some 9-ball. This is where Ed shined. He had me down 7-5 when he had to leave. As a newlywed, his time at home with his wife is more important to him than his time in the poolroom. This will change next week, when he too, becomes a member of Billy Weir's.

Ed is a super nice guy and fits into this crowd very nicely. Bid him a "fond welcome" Texas CCB'ers.

On another subject: Remember a thread a few months back about "poor poolroom owners that have to put up with players that only drink water while playing"? Well, today OPC and I show up at Weir's room at noon. They were closed and wouldn't open until 1PM BUT, Clinton (Billy's brother and partner) opened the door for us and let us play as they prepared (cleaned) the place for opening. Clinton's first question to us was:

"Can I get you guys something to drink? Water? Soda?"

Man! A nice poolroom with Diamond tables, opened the doors early just for us, $50. membership for play-all-you-want-in-a-month AND offered water as the first drink choice. Pay attention other DFW rooms...this place caters to players.

Regards,

Ken

jbullerjr
10-06-2002, 04:20 AM
I was just at Billy Weirs Skyhigh the other night.

Cool to see someone on here from DFW. Ken, I think I might know you. Do you play in any of the local leagues?

My name is James Buller, but everyone calls me Jimbo.

rackmup
10-06-2002, 07:25 AM
I play in a Tuesday night league at Click's in Arlington and a bar-box league on Sunday afternoons (three more weeks of that "torture" and I won't care if I ever see another bar table.)

I've only been in Weir's place four times but now that I am armed with the membership, count me in for more!

We will be there every Saturday and possibly Wednesday nights. Let me know if you want to meet for a little 9-ball or one-hole.

Regards,

Ken

eg8r
10-06-2002, 08:51 PM
Thanks a lot Ken and Onepocketchamp, hopefully you will still let me come out and play, lol. I had a great time, but you are right, the wife comes first. When I got home, Heather asked me how I did, I told her it was a great time and I don't know what the penny meant moving around the table, lol. You have nine ball phobia and leave it hanging every game.

I have to say, I really enjoyed playing 1p but as bad as I play already it was tough to start cold on that game. lol, I guess I will try to warm up with something else next time and maybe my execution will not drive onepocketchamp crazy. If my memory serves me, I do not cheat, rofl.

I am definitely getting my membership this Friday after work. Heather wants to check out Ladies night on Wednesday so hopefully we will see you there.

By the way, this room is beautiful and it is only minutes away from the apartment.

eg8r

PoolFool
10-06-2002, 09:48 PM
eg8r. I'll fill you in on the joke if you promise not to tell Ken. Dallas was created to fool outsiders into thinking they moved to Texas. Go outside and look. Do you see the Gulf of Mexico, the Davis mountains, any oil wells, a real cattle ranch? The State of Texas built the DFW area and made all of us who use to be class cut ups move here to make the outsiders think they had moved to Texas. Don't tell any one I told you because I have almost finished my time here and will be able to move to Austin or Houston if I get time off for good behavior. But, welcome anyway and if you ever get in the Nort Dallas, Plano or Addison area maybe we can play some. Also, you'll be glad to know that we have tables with 6 pockets over here.

PoolFool

Chris Cass
10-06-2002, 10:19 PM
Last I heard you were in college? Now your married too? Man you work fast Eg8r. Good to see you posting again and congrats on the move and marriage. Good luck in Texas or outside of it. LOL Sounds like, by the time you and Ken get through with Onepocketchamp, he'll have lost all his hair. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

eg8r
10-07-2002, 11:04 AM
Lol, hopefully he does not lose any hair. I really would like to learn the game, and he seems to explain the shots well. I think it is funny when he asks me what shot I like, then when I tell him, he shows me why that was wrong. Lot to learn I guess.

Yes, I have been in and out of college for awhile. There were times when the money was better out of college, and actually paid off for me. I have been married for a year and loving it out here in Texas. To be honest, starting in January I will be back in college again, this time to work on my Masters. I have to get it done while work is paying for it.

eg8r

eg8r
10-07-2002, 11:10 AM
I promise not to tell, but he might read this. Lets hope not.

Actually here in Fort Worth, it really is just like Orlando except the humidity is not anywhere near as high. Actually today it is freezing (to my standards, I am originally from S. FL, Boca Raton area).

I will probably be out here for another couple years before we head back to Florida. I would love to play some.

eg8r

10-09-2002, 07:59 AM
where is Billy Weir's?

rackmup
10-09-2002, 08:11 AM
In Fort Worth, off I-30 and Green Oaks, next to the Ridgemar Mall.

Regards,

Ken

10-09-2002, 10:07 AM
Oh, yeah I saw that the other day...it's in the Mall parking lot right?

rackmup
10-09-2002, 10:30 AM
Not the BIG mall but in the little strip mall adjacent to it (there is a hair/nail salon and a gym (Bally's?) in the same parking lot.) Drop by tonight (Ladie's Night-Free Pool for the gals. Look for us on table #9 or #10) or this Saturday from 1-10PM (same tables.)

We could always use a few more DFW CCB'ers!

eg8r
10-09-2002, 10:56 AM
They will all come running and buying their memberships once they see the place from the inside. ha ha

eg8r

rackmup
10-09-2002, 11:21 AM
It's funny...I enjoy different poolrooms for different reasons and all of the reasons make that particular poolroom "good":

Click's in Arlington: 4-9' tables. Not in great shape, not respected by the "bangers" that use them but it's a place where "everybody knows your name" and the woofing from the rail is always friendly.
Hawley's in Dallas: 3-9' tables. Better kept than most. Great owners, great employees, great billiard's supply retail store and Orietta Strickland. Cold beer and I am treated like family.
CJ's Billiard Palace in Dallas: Several 9' tables, decent food, great shooters and because it's CJ Wiley's place.
Clicks on Skillman in Dallas: Because it's where Sid and Spidey hang out. If those two were to move away from Texas, this room would shut down. They are the primary draw of folks to that place.
Billy Weir's Sky High Billiards in Fort Worth: C'mon...$50. for all-you-can-play-in-a-month! On Diamond Pros with Aramith balls? Do you need other reasons? Friendly, attractive staff, great equipment, good tunes and did I mention Diamond tables? The ONLY negative is NO food (but they allow you to order in.)

Regards,

Ken

10-09-2002, 11:52 AM
I'll try to get up there tonight