PDA

View Full Version : The Last Great Democrats were Cleveland Democrats

Grapenut
08-08-2012, 05:16 AM
http://www.thefreemanonline.org/columns/...exas-seed-bill/ (http://www.thefreemanonline.org/columns/our-economic-past-why-grover-cleveland-vetoed-the-texas-seed-bill/)

"I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution; and I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit. A prevalent tendency to disregard the limited mission of this power and duty should, I think, be steadily resisted, to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people."

Grover Cleveland vetoes the Texas Seed Bill of 1887.

Nut

Qtec
08-08-2012, 06:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution; and I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit. </div></div>

He wasn't a Democrat in today's understanding of Dem/progressive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">t should have surprised no one, therefore, when Cleveland vetoed the Texas Seed Bill early in 1887. This legislation appropriated $10,000—a trifling sum even in those days—to allow the Commissioner of Agriculture <span style='font-size: 14pt'>to purchase seed grain for distribution to farmers in certain counties of Texas that had suffered from drought.</span> </div></div>

I would think being able to feed the people would be part of the common welfare.

Anyway, if you believe that America is just a collection of individuals who know NO allegiance to their fellow citizens or comradeship with each other, then you can never cheer, "USA, USA, USA....." without being a hypocrite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Harris Zafar, national spokesperson for the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community USA, and “Viewpoint” host Eliot Spitzer discuss the possibility that the gunman behind the mass shooting at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wis.,<u> actually intended to target Muslims </u>and whether a rise in anti-Muslim sentiment is linked to political rhetoric.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'> “The Republican primaries were ridden with such incidents where Mr. Santorum, Herman Cain, Michele Bachmann repeatedly spread this message of fear of Muslims, fear of Shariah law,” Zafar says. “It’s really given us this impression that we’re not American enough. No matter how many generations we’ve been here, we’re just not American enough.”</span></div></div>

Q..they have a lot to answer for.

Gayle in MD
08-08-2012, 06:30 AM
<span style="color: #990000"> <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Bravo! Excellent post, Q! </span> </span>