PDA

View Full Version : Short butt heavy cue for breaking

10-06-2002, 01:28 PM
Is short butt heavy cue good for breaking?

A friend swears by it that breaking with a short (around 57") cue that's butt heavy gives good reaulst.

Anyone have the same experience?

Chris Cass
10-06-2002, 10:36 PM
Well,

I myself have a Cuetech for a break cue. It's 57" and has a tapered shaft. It's butt heavy but still weighs about 1 oz. less than my playing cue. Most players I know like light cues to break with, say 18 oz. My preference is the one I have. It works well for me. I think it's all in the timing, myself. Not so much heavy but speed counts more. IMO

Regards,

C.C.

10-06-2002, 11:29 PM
I don't know about heavy but I heard Pat Fleming uses a 53' break cue

Chris Cass
10-07-2002, 08:03 AM
Hi Steve,

You've got to be kidding? I know you meant inches but that's still so short. I would think his follow-thru isn't very far. Do you happen to know how tall he is? My follow-thru ends about the 9 ball location and one foot higher than the rack. I'm like 5'6" tall. Pat' wingspan with the 53" must put him like 5' ?

Regards,

C.C.

SpiderMan
10-07-2002, 02:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Is short butt heavy cue good for breaking?

A friend swears by it that breaking with a short (around 57") cue that's butt heavy gives good reaulst.

Anyone have the same experience? <hr></blockquote>

What is good reaulst? Maybe I'd marry it, if it weren't butt-heavy.

SpiderMan

10-07-2002, 02:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SpiderMan:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Anonymous:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Is short butt heavy cue good for breaking?

Anyone have the same experience? &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

SpiderMan <hr></blockquote>

maybe he/she means result.

bluewolf
10-07-2002, 02:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Well,

I myself have a Cuetech for a break cue. It's 57" and has a tapered shaft. It's butt heavy but still weighs about 1 oz. less than my playing cue. Most players I know like light cues to break with, say 18 oz. My preference is the one I have. It works well for me. I think it's all in the timing, myself. Not so much heavy but speed counts more. IMO

Regards,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

i have had so much trouble with breaking although it has gotten a little better. i tried cues of different weights and butt vs shaft heavy and could not see a difference. based on what i learned at pool school,my medium speed break is sufficient, it is accuracy cue to cb to front ob that i need to perfect.

bw

phil in sofla
10-07-2002, 08:55 PM
It's fairly standard advice to hold the cue further back when breaking than where you grip it when shooting shots, and a shorter butt cue would limit that move a little.

On the other hand, Capelle advises that you hold the cue further FORWARD than normal, to keep the cue more level at impact. Using a shorter butt cue might keep you from being so far back, even if you grip it at its far end.

10-07-2002, 11:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: phil in sofla:</font><hr> It's fairly standard advice to hold the cue further back when breaking than where you grip it when shooting shots, and a shorter butt cue would limit that move a little.

On the other hand, Capelle advises that you hold the cue further FORWARD than normal, to keep the cue more level at impact. Using a shorter butt cue might keep you from being so far back, even if you grip it at its far end. <hr></blockquote>

maybe that's it. short cue, hold near the butt end but you get the cue more level at impact. i just saw my friend today at the poolhall and he is breaking with the same short cue. he just blast rack by rack and spread the balls out each and everytime he breaks. he said the short cuetec cue (57") and butt heavy around 20 oz makes it easy for him to break easilly. btw, he used to break with an 18 oz cue and now breaks with a heavier cue.

Rod
10-07-2002, 11:30 PM
Well I don't know Chris but if I had a 53" break cue it wouldn't change anything. There still would be easily an inch or two left over. I follow thru past the joint in my bridge hand. BTW the cue stays there I don't follow it down the table or to LA for that matter./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I'll leave that to yous guys with the killer breaks, but I'm not weak in that area. I like to think I get more bang for the buck or inches in this case. LOL

10-08-2002, 12:37 AM
Chris,

I've seen him play one match and it was straight pool, so I didn't see him break, but it was a player review match and the cue he was playing with was 54' or 55', and he states his break cue is 53'. He was playing Grady who I assume is 5'9-5'11 and he seemed maybe 3-4 inches shorter.

SpiderMan
10-08-2002, 09:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: SpiderMan:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Anonymous:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Is short butt heavy cue good for breaking?

Anyone have the same experience? &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

SpiderMan &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

maybe he/she means result. <hr></blockquote>

Possibly, but when I read short, butt-heavy, and gives good reaulst, I immediately wondered about the flat head to set your beer on /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

SpiderMan

Lester
10-08-2002, 09:20 AM
&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

SpiderMan &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

maybe he/she means result. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Possibly, but when I read short, butt-heavy, and gives good reaulst, I immediately wondered about the flat head to set your beer on /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Oh yeah, Spidey the perfect date! What are you guys in Texas drinkin'? ***Lester***

SpiderMan <hr></blockquote>

ceebee
10-08-2002, 10:40 AM
well... about SPEED. I think it's great to see one of those players with a 90 mile an hour Cue ball &amp; BAM goes the BREAK.... WOW, what a SHOW!!!
We have a few players that try to emulate the above scenario, but they don't get to shoot at the 2 Ball very much. They have scratched, launched the cue Ball or the Cue Ball is hidden in the Rack Area.
BUT, we have several players that just give it good solid whacking &amp; we even have a few players that prefer the Soft Break. These players are the ones that make it to the 6 or the 9 &amp; out. One nice part of getting to shoot, after the Break Shot...., most of the time you get to retain some control of the table. Even if it is just playing a defensive SAFETY.
I once had a Huebler 21oz. 14mm Jump/Break that was dynamite in a stick... can't believe I sold it.
I now have a Predator BK.... It's a GREAT Break Cue! It weighs 19oz.
I practice the Break Shot for a half hour to an hour a day &amp; I try them all. But lately I have adopted the MEDIUM Blast to maintain my ACCURACY of delivery. I also practice the Medium-Soft Break Stroke, to get the Cue Ball back to the Headstring opposite of a possible 1-Ball position.