PDA

View Full Version : I got some questions for you

Brent
10-06-2002, 02:36 PM
I was just wondering a few things about all u guys who read this forum. Ok il just ask: Who many hours a week u spend in ur local poolroom or at a pooltable? What are the prices at ur local poolroom and how long have u guys been playing ?
I spend 5-10 hours per week playing pool with my friends. I know it isnt alot but I just cant afford more...the size of my pocketmoney sucks and I dont work besides college. About the prices in estonia - an hour costs about 3-4 of ur american dollars and I have been playing only about a year...I got my whole life ahead of me though /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif ok thnx 4 ur attention Im off.

Brent

Tom_In_Cincy
10-06-2002, 02:53 PM
It is usually between 12-20 hours a week playing and some practicing included.

The cost just went up 25 to $3.50 an hour

Vicki
10-06-2002, 05:26 PM
I play about 5-15 hours per week. Prices in this area are outrageous! $13.00 per hour for 2 people on average. Some places are much more on the weekends.

We must be very clever about getting free time or else we'd be bankrupt. Most of us join a league for the free hour of practice before it starts. If you finish your league matches quickly sometimes you can hustle a few minutes after league is over as well.

The weekly tournaments are the best value. The entry is usually $20 and you can play for an hour before it starts, how ever many rounds you can make it through in the tourny and then maybe get some practice time once you are out before the manager scoops up the balls for the paying customers.

Problem is that the rooms are busy every night of the week and go on a waiting list most nights. The owners are not stingy - they are in business to make money and if there is money to be made they are not going to let us freeloaders hang onto the tables any longer than they have to.

I have been playing about 14 years. I wish that my quality of play was consistent with the number of years I've been playing. I have taken a number of years off in those 14 years where I have not played at all. Most recently I have not made the most of the time I do play so my consistency is horrible.

Vicki

10-06-2002, 06:52 PM
I play/practice about 20-25 hours per week at a room where the basic rate is $5/hour for prime time and $7 for all day till 7PM. They have a great deal for frequent players; $100 per month for unlimited play anytime they are open (Mon-Sat 7AM to 11 PM, Sun 1PM to 10PM).

Chris Cass
10-06-2002, 10:06 PM
Hi Brent,

Since being fired, I play about 7 hrs a day average with the weekends that's about 50hrs a week. I do go to tourneys also. I had some back problems and that took me out for 13 days straight. Since then, I'm now getting back on track. Still have stiffness and sore but that isn't going to stop me from playing.

It costs $6. all day as the price just went up. I figure I'll be in gear in about a yr or so. Hoping for Jan. Ya think I'd be getting better sometime. LOL

The weirdest things I see during the day. You'd be surprized of how many railbirds just come in to sit and bs without even picking up a cue for 5 hrs.

Regards,

C.C.

phil in sofla
10-06-2002, 10:28 PM
About 5-7 hours at a stretch, 5 to 6 days a week, is pretty regular for me, and has been for about 4 years.

Two of those nights are league nights (no extra charge beyond the dues, $18 for 18 weekly matches, and then playoffs), and mainly, I catch nightly special rates, $4, $5, or $7, all you can play, from 7 pm to 2 am. All night play specials are rare around here, with only one place having the $5 for all of Sunday night, and only one other that offers some nightly special each night of the week. (Day specials are almost everywhere, but I can't play during the days).

nAz
10-06-2002, 11:21 PM
Lets see I play about 8 hours a week. and price vary from the 3 diff. places i play, It can be free- 5 for the whole night @ AC place. @ platinum 10 an hour I get half price in the day, and half price all day on the Billiard table. @ Balukas place 5 an hour sometimes less /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
10-06-2002, 11:55 PM
I used to squeeze in about 15 hours a week and am now down to about half that if not less. I haven't really been playing competitively like I used to either. The desire is sloooowwwlly coming back.

=k=
10-07-2002, 07:15 AM
hi brent
upfront i do not get enough practice time in but some is better than none. i am lucky enough to have a nine foot table at home and average 8 hours of drill time and ten hours of play time per week. oh yes most important is two hours of lesson time per week. which has improved my game the most. reading the forum here thee hours per week. a lot of my inspiration comes from here.. good luck. k

Kato
10-07-2002, 07:36 AM
Let's see, I've been playing for 7 years and usually play 1 league night and 1 tournament night per week. I used to practice about 1 hour per day and play 12-15 hours per week. Right now until probably December I will play 1 league night per week, practice 0 minutes per week, and play 0 minutes per week. Come December I will practice 2 hours per day, play 4 hours per day, 7 days per week.

Kato

Brent
10-07-2002, 10:17 PM
Thnx everyone for answering....oops gotta run..Im organizing a 8-Ball tournament with the people from my college..wish me luck /webbbs/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rod
10-07-2002, 10:53 PM
Good luck Brent and thanks for the reply. Many people here won't even bother with a thank you to anyone after asking a question or opinion. It takes someone far away in a distant land with courtesy, I guess? By the way I play 6 to 12 hrs a week at $5 all day rate or $3 per hour at another room.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-08-2002, 07:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> Good luck Brent and thanks for the reply. Many people here won't even bother with a thank you to anyone after asking a question or opinion. <hr></blockquote>

Rod,

I've noticed that too. Sometimes you wonder "Why did I bother typing all that if the original poster may not have even read it?" It's always good to see an acknowledgement.
================================================== ===========

Hey Brent, have you ever played Russian billiards? Isn't that what they call it? With the big balls.

Brent
10-08-2002, 07:14 AM
Bah..I dropped out in the playoffs /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif I put too much spin on hitting the black at the end that the cueball went in also...but Im not sad cuz I playd a very good tournament today..Railshots came out good etc. Anyway Rod no I havent playd Russian pool but in estonia there are alot of russians around and at my local pool-hall we got 3 Russina pooltables. I think russina pool is to deep 4 me if u know what I mean..the pockets are almost as small as the balls..I mean big..lol. Ok later all

oh and by the way does anyone know a place where I could download some trickshot videos or something like that..or maybe clips of u makeing an astonishing run /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Brent

Rod
10-08-2002, 02:42 PM
Brent here is a site that has some trick shots, http://joewihit3.tripod.com/Billiards/Tricks.htm

This site has some matches, kind of old but you might like it. http://www.trickshooter.com/

Brent
10-08-2002, 10:05 PM
Got it..thnx 4 the links.

eg8r
10-08-2002, 10:24 PM
Here in Fort Worth, we have a nice hall that offers a membership costing $50.00 per month with unlimited play time. I am getting my membership on Friday.

Hey Rackmup, we will be there on Wednesday evening but will not be able to play on Saturday.

eg8r