PDA

View Full Version : 10 Most Important Facts About The Koch Bros.

DiabloViejo
08-14-2012, 08:57 PM
http://www.care2.com/causes/10-most-important-facts-about-the-koch-brothers.html#ixzz23ZznSlyE

Despite being able to puppeteer conservative legislators from the shadows for years, daylight is filtering into the Koch brothers empire and what it’s revealing is truly disturbing. Robert Greenwald has collected the 10 facts that every American needs to know about the Koch brothers and what they are doing to the country. Here they are:

1. Koch Industries, which the brothers own, is one of the top ten polluters in the United States — which perhaps explains why the Kochs have given $60 million to climate denial groups between 1997 and 2010.

2. The Kochs are the oil and gas industry’s biggest donors to the congressional committee with oversight of the hazardous Keystone XL oil pipeline. They and their employees gave more than $300,000 to members of the House Energy and Commerce Committee in 2010 alone.

3. From 1998-2008, Koch-controlled foundations gave more than $196 million to organizations that favor polices that would financially enrich the two brothers. In addition, Koch Industries spent $50 million on lobbying and some $8 million in PAC contributions.

4. The Koch fortune has its origins in engineering contracts with Joseph Stalin’s Soviet Union.

5. The Kochs are suing to take over the Cato Institute, which has accused the Kochs of attempting to destroy the group’s identity as an independent, libertarian think and align it more closely with a partisan agenda.

6. A Huffington Post source who was at a three-day retreat of conservative billionaires said the Koch brothers pledged to donate $60 million to defeat President Obama in 2012 and produce pledges of $40 million more from others at the retreat.

7. Since 2000, the Kochs have collected almost $100 million in government contracts, mostly from the Department of Defense.

8. Koch Industries has an annual production capacity of 2.2 billion pounds of the carcinogen formaldehyde. The company has worked to keep it from being classified as a carcinogen even though David Koch is a prostate cancer survivor.

9. The Koch brothers’ combined fortune of roughly $50 billion is exceeded only by that of Bill Gates in the United States.

10. The Senate Select Committee on Indian Affairs accused Koch Oil of scheming to steal $31 million of crude oil from Native Americans. Although the company claimed it was accidental, a former executive in this operation said Charles Koch had known about it and had responded to the overages by saying, “I want my fair share, and that’s all of it.”

And to think, these are just the top ten facts. It’s enough to raise significant concerns over the health of our democracy and the significant influence two men have in shaping the policy that impacts millions of people in this country and beyond. This is not what democracy looks like. At all.

LWW
08-14-2012, 09:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.care2.com/causes/10-most-important-facts-about-the-koch-brothers.html#ixzz23ZznSlyE

Despite being able to puppeteer conservative legislators from the shadows for years, daylight is filtering into the Koch brothers empire and what it’s revealing is truly disturbing. Robert Greenwald has collected the 10 facts that every American needs to know about the Koch brothers and what they are doing to the country. Here they are:

1. Koch Industries, which the brothers own, is one of the top ten polluters in the United States ... </div></div>

ACTUALLY KOCH INDUSTRIES ISN'T EVEN IN THE TOP 100 (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0933679.html)

When you can't get the first point right ... the rest gets boring.

DiabloViejo
08-14-2012, 10:15 PM
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Wrong again!</span>

http://www.peri.umass.edu/toxic_index/

BTW, I am going to hit you back with tons of data and articles detailing the Koch's atrocious record on pollution and all the cancer deaths attributable to Koch toxic waste. We'll see what you have to say then, big mouth.

Gayle in MD
08-15-2012, 07:38 AM
Like George Bush, Koch has among the worst ratings from environmental fact checkers and organizations.

I've done a good deal of study on this subject.

G.

LWW
08-15-2012, 08:02 AM
Are you aware that your link ...again ...doesn't support your claim.

Now, wouldyou like to talk about GE which does happen to be on the list?

Soflasnapper
08-15-2012, 09:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.care2.com/causes/10-most-important-facts-about-the-koch-brothers.html#ixzz23ZznSlyE

1. Koch Industries, which the brothers own, is one of the top ten polluters in the United States ... </div></div>

ACTUALLY KOCH INDUSTRIES ISN'T EVEN IN THE TOP 100 (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0933679.html)

When you can't get the first point right ... the rest gets boring. </div></div>

You are working with something less than a full deck here. I'm not referring only to your lack of acumen, but that your list EXCLUDES this company altogether, by its standards of review.

What is the standard of that list you cite?

This index identifies the top air polluters among corporations that appear in the Fortune 500, Forbes 500, and Standard & Poor's 500 lists of the country's largest firms.

Publicly traded firms, not privately held firms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Toxic 100 Air Polluters index is based on air releases of hundreds of distinct chemicals from tens of thousands of industrial facilities across the United States. The rankings take into account not only the quantity of releases, but also the toxicity of chemicals, transport factors such as prevailing winds and height of smokestacks, and the number of people exposed.

The top five air polluters among large corporations are:

the German-owned Bayer Group,
Textron Inc.,
General Electric Co.,
Precision Castparts, and
Koch Industries.

Since 2010 the Toxic 100 Air Polluters rankings has included <span style='font-size: 14pt'>large privately held firms, such as number five Koch Industries, </span>as well as the world’s largest publicly traded corporations.
</div></div>

Top 5 is in the Top 10, (http://www.peri.umass.edu/toxic_press/) right?

GE? Yes, top 5 as well.

Soflasnapper
08-15-2012, 12:04 PM
One important fact that is little discussed about the brothers Koch is that they are Jewish, and in fact, dual American-Israeli citizens. I was surprised to hear of that.

Stretch
08-15-2012, 12:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One important fact that is little discussed about the brothers Koch is that they are Jewish, and in fact, dual American-Israeli citizens. I was surprised to hear of that. </div></div>

So on top of every thing else they have divided loyalty's? WOW /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif St.

Gayle in MD
08-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Another NEOCON!

G.

LWW
08-15-2012, 03:11 PM
I'll accept that explanation as reasonable, and stiil contend thatvDiabow condemns Romney supporting Koch for poluuting less than Obama supporting GE ... even though Diablow's lost still doesn't back up his claim.

This isn't an endorsement of Koch, but an example of how easily some on the left are pimped.

In addition ... witness how the cabal had to bring that they are Jews into it.

Soflasnapper
08-15-2012, 04:35 PM
It is a measure of how little the dual-nationalities of the Kochs are mentioned that I never heard they were Jewish at all, let alone that they were Israeli citizens. I assumed they were gentiles, as I'd not heard of Jews in the oil bidness, particularly. Thought that was a Eastern establishment WASP and/or Texas monopoly, as to ethnicities involved.

Which has nothing to do with their pollution practices, IMO, and no one even here said it did.

Soflasnapper
08-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Here's another important fact about the Koch brothers.

They have another brother. What does he say about them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "William Koch, the third brother who had a falling-out with Charles and David back in the '80s over Charles' sociopathic management style, appeared on "60 Minutes" in November 2000 to tell the world that Koch Industries was a criminal enterprise: "It was - was my family company. I was out of it," he says. "But that's what appalled me so much... I did not want my family, my legacy, my father's legacy to be based upon organized crime."

"Charles Koch's racket was very simple," explained William. "With its extensive oil pipe network, Koch Industries' role as an oil middleman--it buys crude from someone's well and sells it to a refinery--makes it easy to steal millions of dollars worth of oil by skimming just a little off the top of each transaction, or what they call "cheating measurements" in the oil trade. According to William, wells located on federal and Native American lands were the prime targets of the Koch scam."

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30006881/Koch-Steal-From-Indians

It is estimated they stole $230 million.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/tea_...talin_20100418/ (http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/tea_party_financiers_owe_their_fortune_to_joseph_s talin_20100418/)

220px-Fred_Koch_225px.jpg

FRED KOCH AND THE JOHN BIRCH SOCIETY

Rich Illuminati Jews and Masons not only created Communism in Russia; they created anti-Communism in the USA.

Fred Koch (1900-1967) was a chemical engineer who invented a new process for refining oil. Supposedly, he was shut out of the US by the Rockefellers and had to go to work for Stalin. He built many refineries in Soviet Russia and trained Russian engineers to operate them. Supposedly, he became disillusioned with Communism and became a founding member of the John Birch Society in the 1950's.

The trouble is that according to the 1964-65, Edition of Who's Who, this militant anti-Communist was still building refineries in Russia and Eastern Europe. Moreover, the John Birch society was founded by members of the Council on Foreign Relations, many of whom were Masons, and staffed by former Communist writers.
</div></div>

DiabloViejo
08-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Pay attention Dub! Not all Jews are Israelis and not all Israelis are Jews. What was brought up was the issue of the Koch's dual American Israeli citizenship.

Let's take a look at some of what Israel has done.

Israel conducted, and conducts, espionage missions in the US.

http://www.councilforthenationalinterest.org/costs/spying

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-spy-who-loves-us/

Israel deliberately attacked the USS Liberty in 1967:

History Recalls: USS Liberty Incident (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF_6k1c_0ds&feature=related)

Wikipedia: USS Liberty incident (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident)

"The USS Liberty incident was an attack on a United States Navy technical research ship, USS Liberty, by Israeli Air Force jet fighter aircraft and Israeli Navy torpedo boats, on June 8, 1967, during the Six-Day War.[2] The combined air and sea attack killed 34 crew members (naval officers, seamen, two Marines, and one civilian), wounded 170 crew members, and severely damaged the ship.[3] At the time, the ship was in international waters north of the Sinai Peninsula, about 25.5 nmi (29.3 mi; 47.2 km) northwest from the Egyptian city of Arish.[1][4]

Both the Israeli and U.S. governments conducted inquiries and issued reports that concluded the attack was a mistake due to Israeli confusion about the identity of the USS Liberty,[5] though others, including many of the ship's survivors that could be located four decades later, have rejected these conclusions and maintain that the attack was deliberate."

Israel reverse engineers our military tech, and then sells it to China...and anyone else with cash.

With "friends" like this, who needs enemies?

I am of the opinion that no US citizen should be legally able to claim dual allegiance to a foreign state. You should either be an American, and nothing but an American, or we'll strip you of your citizenship and send your sorry ass to the nation of your choice.

Nice try but your attempt at playing the anti-semitic card was obvious and has failed.

LWW
08-15-2012, 05:51 PM
There y'all go changing the topic after your first salvo explodes like an Elmer Fudd cigar.

DiabloViejo
08-15-2012, 07:08 PM
LMAO! You were proved wrong on both counts and now you're squirming like a worm. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Qtec
08-16-2012, 03:50 AM
Here is something else that people have forgotten.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After David Koch Leaves NIH Board, NIH Hands Down Long-Delayed Classification Of Top Koch Pollutant As A Carcinogen

on Jun 11, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Large manufacturers and chemical producers have lobbied ferociously to stop the National Institutes of Health from classifying formaldehyde as a carcinogen. A wide body of research has linked the chemical to cancer, but industrial polluters have stymied regulators from action.

Last year, the New Yorker’s Jane Mayer reported that billionaire David Koch, whose company Georgia Pacfic (a subsidiary of Koch Industries) is one of the country’s top producers of formaldehyde, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>was appointed to the NIH cancer board at a time when the NIH delayed action on the chemical. The news was met with protests from environmental groups.</span> Koch offered his resignation from the board in September.

<span style="color: #3333FF"><u>And who appointed him? This person, who has such an enormous conflict of interest with this legislation?</u>

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>George W Bush!!!!!!!!!</span></span>

Yesterday, the NIH finally handed down a report officially classifying formaldehyde as a carcinogen:

Government scientists listed formaldehyde as a carcinogen, and said it is found in worrisome quantities in plywood, particle board, mortuaries and hair salons. They also said that styrene, which is used in boats, bathtubs and in disposable foam plastic cups and plates, may cause cancer but is generally found in such low levels in consumer products that risks are low. Frequent and intense exposures in manufacturing plants are far more worrisome than the intermittent contact that most consumers have, but government scientists said that consumers should still avoid contact with formaldehyde and styrene along with six other chemicals that were added Friday to the government’s official Report on Carcinogens. Its release was delayed for years because of intense lobbying from the chemical industry, which disputed its findings.

An investigation by ProPublica found that Sens. David Vitter (R-LA) and James Inhofe (R-OK) had used their power to add years of delay to the report. The piece linked Vitter to lobbying from Koch’s Georgia Pacific company, which has plywood plants in Louisiana.
Update

This post has been corrected. David Koch left the NIH’s cancer board after serving a full term. </div></div>

lots of good links here (http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2011/06/11/242917/nih-carcinogen-koch-industries/)

Another good read. Koch's low profile belies political power (http://www.iwatchnews.org/2004/07/15/5967/kochs-low-profile-belies-political-power)

Q

LWW
08-16-2012, 04:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LMAO! You were proved wrong on both counts and now you're squirming like a worm. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>

In your dreams troll boy.

Review your link's initial claim and then review your "TRUTH" and see if you can figure it out. I want to see you do it on your own.

Including privately held companies, the claim might actually be true ... But your evidence is woefully lame to date.

Beyond that, you once again give Obama backing GE a pass while condemning a Romney backer over the same thing.

I would see them as equally wrong ... yet you can't do that.

Why is that?

Gayle in MD
08-16-2012, 05:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am of the opinion that no US citizen should be legally able to claim dual allegiance to a foreign state. You should either be an American, and nothing but an American, or we'll strip you of your citizenship and send your sorry ass to the nation of your choice.

</div></div>

Tap, Tap, Tap! I agree!

G.

LWW
08-16-2012, 07:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am of the opinion that no US citizen should be legally able to claim dual allegiance to a foreign state. You should either be an American, and nothing but an American, or we'll strip you of your citizenship and send your sorry ass to the nation of your choice. </div></div>

Including Rahm Emannuel and Joe Lieberman?

LWW
08-16-2012, 08:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One important fact that is little discussed about the brothers Koch is that they are Jewish, and in fact, dual American-Israeli citizens.</div></div>

I'm going to ask for a verication of this.

Soflasnapper
08-16-2012, 10:06 AM
I have seen that alleged, but now upon looking for confirmation, there's very little to be found. They don't call them secretive billionaires without cause. Their Wiki bios, and all other bios I've been able to review, do not mention their religion at all. Which is peculiar right there, although with effort, Wiki and other sources can be scrubbed.

I thought I hit paydirt with a bio piece from the NJ Daily Jewish News or somesuch, but although that piece would seem to mean they are profiling co-religionists, it doesn't say anything about their religion (again).

But apparently they've put money through various laundries to back 3 virulently anti-Arab anti-Islam propaganda films.

http://www.antipasministries.com/images/jpeg/image3124.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Alex Kane, a journalist for the Indypendent, a free New York City-based newspaper, writes:

"Now, more has emerged about the Koch brothers' agenda, and it's not just limited to advocating for 'drastically lower personal and corporate taxes, minimal social services for the needy, and much less oversight of industry—especially environmental regulation'. An investigation by CounterPunch's Pam Martens has revealed that 'a secretive libertarian nonprofit with ties to Charles Koch bankrolled what was widely perceived to be a fear mongering effort to throw the Presidential election to Senator John McCain in 2008'." [We urge you to see our articles on the McCain / Palin political alliance, "Things Aren't Always What They Appear to Be" and "McCain & Palin: The Business Right Marries the Religious Right."]

Pam Martens, the author of the article in CounterPunch to which Kane is alluding, writes:

"The 'fear mongering effort' in question [see above] was the documentary Obsession: Radical Islam's War Against the West, which was distributed to millions of people in 'swing states' around the country in the run-up to the 2008 presidential election through corporate newspapers. The documentary features interviews with notorious Islamophobes such as Steven Emerson, Daniel Pipes and Caroline Glick. [We urge you to see our article, "The Theory of the Just War;" for information on Daniel Pipes, please see our articles, "The Rise of Fascism in Europe" and "The Neo-Conservatives."]

[Islamophobes = Zionists, my editorial comment]

[...]

Kane writes:

"The CounterPunch investigation adds a whole new layer to the overlap between anti-Muslim activists and the Tea Party."

That is to say, in addition to allying themselves with the domestic agenda of the Christian Right, the Koch brothers have crawled into bed with those in the Christian community (e.g., Pastor John Hagee and his ilk in CUFI) who are wickedly involved in fanning the flames of Islamophobia in order to wage a war of annihilation against the Muslims of the Middle East and Central Asia. [Please see our article, "Crossing the Rubicon."]

BUT THEN WHAT ELSE WOULD ONE EXPECT FROM PEOPLE (e.g., the Koch brothers) WHOSE MONEY IS DERIVED FROM THE PROFITS OF BIG OIL? — that is, after all, what Koch Industries is all about — BIG OIL.
FOLLOW THE MONEY

Martens' report in CounterPunch reads in part:

"CounterPunch can now report what this race-baiting, fear-mongering campaign involving the movie, Obsession: Radical Islam's War Against the West, cost and where the money came from.

"28 million DVDs of the film - Obsession: Radical Islam's War Against the West - were produced at a cost of $15,676,181 by Artist Direct Media which does mass manufacturing of CDs and DVDs with volume discounts. The big media buy for Sunday newspaper insertions ran up the tidy tab of $719,436 and was conducted by NSA Media, a unit of the global ad giant, Interpublic Group, parent of McCann-Erikson. That figure seems decidedly on the light side so there may be other funding sources involved that have not yet surfaced. (NSA Media is a powerful ad buyer, representing some of the biggest print buyers and consumer brands in the country, which might help explain why so few questions were asked by the largest newspapers about this unseemly project.) The full tab, and then some, was paid by the super secretive libertarian nonprofit, Donors Capital Fund. In 2008, Clarion Fund became Donors Capital Fund's largest grantee by a large margin, receiving $17,778,600. That sum constituted 96 per cent of all funds received by Clarion in 2008 and 9 times its revenue in 2007."

To simplify what was going on here, Clarion acted as a conduit for money emanating out of Donor's Capital Fund and Donor's Trust Fund (both controlled by the Koch brothers — see below) the purpose of which was the production and distribution of the hate-filled, anti-Muslim film, Obsession: Radical Islam's War Against the West.

NOTE: It is through this exact same nexus of shadowy "players" and "money conduits" that Iranium is being funded and released to the public.

Marten continues:

"There are shades of Charles Koch all over Donors Capital and Donors Trust. Two grantees receiving repeat and sizeable grants from Donors Capital are favorites of the Koch foundations: George Mason University Foundation and the Institute for Humane Studies. Another tie is Claire Kittle. A project of Donor's Trust is Talent Market.org, a headhunter for staffing nonprofits with the 'right' people. Ms. Kittle serves as Talent Market's Executive Director and was the former Program Officer for Leadership and Talent Development at the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation. Then there is Whitney Ball, President of both Donors Capital Fund and Donors Trust. Ms. Ball was one of the elite guests at the invitation-only secret Aspen bash thrown by Charles Koch in June of 2010, as reported by ThinkProgress.org. Also on the guest list for the Koch bash was Stephen Moore, a member of the Editorial Board at the Wall Street Journal. Mr. Moore is a Director at Donors Capital Fund. Rounding out the ties that bind is Lauren Vander Heyden, who serves as Client Services Coordinator at Donors Trust. Ms. Vander Heyden previously worked as grants coordinator and policy analyst at the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation."</div></div>

Some Zionists are not Jewish, of course, so who says the Koch family is Jewish?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The liberal Jewish periodical Tikun elaborates on the CounterPunch article:

"The Counterpunch exposé about the Clarion Fund takes the story to the next level. This is a development I've been awaiting for two years. We knew that Clarion was the ostensible producer of the three anti-Muslim films, Third Jihad, Obsession and the latest, Iranium.

The three anti-Muslim films produced by Clarion: From left to right: the first film, The Third Jihad, the third film, Iranium and the second film, Obsession.

"There are several aspects of this that shock me. I always figured Shelly Adelson or Irwin Katsof, billionaires much more closely associated both with pro-Israel and anti-jihadi political forces, to be the suspect donors.

From left to right: Shelly Adelson and Irwin Katsof; Adelson's fortune is based on gambling properties in Las Vegas; Katsof is a Wall Street billionaire and founder of Aish HaTorah.

"This latest news takes things in a far more radical libertarian direction, and generally Jews have stayed clear of right-wing libertarianism because it's always had a whiff of anti-Semitism about it. While the Koch family is Jewish, their philanthropy has never been visible in that community nor has their interest in far-right Israeli politics been evident."
</div></div>

However, the source site for all of this, here, (http://www.antipasministries.com/html/file0000353.htm) says the following:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NOTE: The Koch brothers are Jewish by ethnicity, but Catholic by religion. </div></div>

Not that their bios mention either their ethnicity or any other religious upbringing or practice.

Still, there is actually zero credible support for their dual citizenship status, even as I could cite some extremist sites making that claim.

Of course, any Jew that can establish the 'I'm Jewish through my female lineage' standard can become an Israeli citizen (through the right of return), and many discover that's a good angle to pursue when they learn there is no extradition, and thus Israel is a safe haven when a fugitive from justice.

Still, as there is no record of Koch charitable contributions to Israel, as Tikun noted, and which my brief survey confirms, it's probably not true they are Israeli citizens in addition to their US citizenship, at least at this time.

Gayle in MD
08-16-2012, 10:14 AM
<span style="color: #990000">Also, Rahm Emmanuel is not a dual citizen.

Joe Liberman, the back stabber, is, and IMO, far too many of them hold office in the Congress.</span>

http://crooksandliars.com/2008/06/12/joe-liebermans-obama-betrayal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When he was fighting for his political life in 2006, Joe Liberman desperately reached out to Senator Obama for his coveted endorsement -- and Obama came through. Now, when the time comes for Senator Lieberman to repay the favor -- at least in terms of not helping to spread Obama-is-a-muslim smears -- HolyJoe is nowhere to be found. Talk about appreciation.
TPM:

This back-story is particularly relevant right now in light of Lieberman's harsh assaults on Obama's national security credentials.

The top Lieberman official, who was directly involved in securing Obama's help, tells me that the campaign was desperate for Obama to come to Connecticut in March of 2006, soon after Lamont entered the race.

It's well known that Obama's 2006 endorsement was important. But it's not widely understood just how urgently the Lieberman people begged for Obama's help at a critical moment in Lieberman's career -- and in that light, just how much of a back-stabbing Lieberman's attacks on Obama now represent.

Like I've said before, it's Lieberman's prerogative if he wants to support John McCain. But what this episode illustrates quite vividly is just how sleazy the guy is, given how Obama came through for him in the clutch.

Can we strip this guy of his committee assignments yet?

</div></div>

<span style="color: #990000">Ralm Emmanuel gave up his duel citizenship when he was eighteen years old.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Emanuel's mother Martha was a social worker with ties to the civil rights movement, who is reputed to have brought her children on marches with Martin Luther King. The family spent most summer holidays in Israel, and Emanuel retained dual citizenship until the age of 18.

</div></div>
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/rahm-emanuel-foot-in-the-door-1212436.html

G.

LWW
08-16-2012, 10:44 AM
It appears RAHMBO (http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/rahm_emanuel_157.html) is ...

DiabloViejo
08-16-2012, 02:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiabloViejo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am of the opinion that no US citizen should be legally able to claim dual allegiance to a foreign state. You should either be an American, and nothing but an American, or we'll strip you of your citizenship and send your sorry ass to the nation of your choice. </div></div>

Including Rahm Emannuel and Joe Lieberman? </div></div>

What part of "<u>no</u> US citizen should be legally able to claim dual allegiance to a foreign state" is it that you don't understand?

As for Rahm Emannuel, he renounced his Israeli citizenship when he was 18.

Of course you are free to believe whatever some right wing nut job blogger says to the contrary. There's no law against being ignorant, stupid, and obstinate. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Soflasnapper
08-16-2012, 02:42 PM
I thought dual citizenship was illegal, excepting British citizens. Obviously, dual Israeli-American citizenship is allowed, so that was a wrong notion I had.

Also, a friend's wife just got her green card, and when I was discussing her path to US citizenship, she claimed to know she could keep her French citizenship and also be a US citizen. Not sure she's right, but then, I was wrong in my prior opinions on the subject myself.

I'm not so sure allowing it is a bad idea overall, but perhaps it should be a disqualification for holding office at some or all levels.

I had read that the US military and intel services had instituted a ban on allowing either dual citizenship and/or persons with family in Israel to enter those services, with an eye to limiting access for those already so employed if they have those defining characteristics.

If so, perhaps that's a good policy, but extend it by law to office holders too, would be my particular compromise.

eg8r
08-16-2012, 03:57 PM
I just texted a friend whose husband joined our military so that he could get his citizenship and he is allowed to keep his dual citizenship (other from Scotland). The caveat is that once he gets any sort of clearance then he will have to give up his Scottish citizenship.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
08-16-2012, 05:21 PM
That's because the sneaky Scot-American dual citizens have almost ruined this country. Wait... that isn't really true. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Qtec
08-17-2012, 01:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">he will have to give up his Scottish citizenship. </div></div>

There is none to give up.

Anyone born in England,Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland has BRITISH citizenship.

Q

Qtec
08-17-2012, 01:12 AM
What I just posted but was ignored is this.

Koch orange juice contains product X which causes cancer. Govt agency is about to ban product X.
The POTUS appoints the biggest user of product X to the panel and the ban is delayed by 2 years.

For the next 2 years people continue to be poisoned.

That's not a story bigger than whether the Kock Bros have duel nationality?

Q

LWW
08-17-2012, 04:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">he will have to give up his Scottish citizenship. </div></div>

There is none to give up.

Anyone born in England,Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland has BRITISH citizenship.

Q </div></div>

As was any citizen of Kenya also a British citizen ... and te son of a British citizen would also be a British citizen?

eg8r
08-17-2012, 08:53 AM
OK, thanks for the correction, he will have to give up his British (UK?) citizenship.

eg8r