PDA

View Full Version : Post your TIPS for Beginners

10-06-2002, 11:31 PM
It seeems that there is so much experienced and valuable knowledge on this board.

I'm not a total beginnner but really haven't been playing for long

Think back to when you were a beginner, what things do you wish you were told then which may have cut down your learning curve or really helped you ?

Please post any such tips on this thread

here's a few from me (please feel free to correct me)

a) Lining up your backfoot with the cueball and the object ball is so important for your stance. Whether your front leg goes to the side (snooker players) or a step in front (pool players) is not as important

b) the follow through on your stoke is very important

d) Don't even think about English until you've mastered speed control, centre ball hits, follow and draw

9 Ball Girl
10-06-2002, 11:49 PM
Stay down until the cue ball comes to rest
Follow through on your shots

Ludba
10-07-2002, 12:50 AM
a) Try to visualize your shot before getting down on it.

2) Visualize the various outcomes of a match before you start: you break and run, you scratch on the eight, you break poorly and leave clusters everywhere. I got this one from Jeanette Lee's book, very good by the way.

d) Consciously try to establish a pre-shot routine when you practice, for example: walk around the table, choose your shot, chalk up, visualize the shot happening forward and backward, lower down on the shot, pocket, object ball, cue ball, 5 strokes, exhale as you follow through, stay down. The more consistent your routine, the more consistent the results.

10-07-2002, 02:10 AM
quit before you begin

TomBrooklyn
10-07-2002, 02:44 AM
My tip to you would be to sign your name to your posts. I, and I think most people, like to know who is 'speaking' to them. =Tom=

jjinfla
10-07-2002, 05:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> quit before you begin <hr></blockquote>That's the best advice. But don't switch to golf. Become a race car driver or bowler. Much more money there. LOL. But since it is already too late for you then make sure you buy Martin's book, "99 Critical shots" and Byrne's book "standard book of pool and billiards" plus Byrne's first two volumes on video. And study them over and over and over. Concentrate on your form and stroke. Staying down after the shot. Never shooting hard. Practice staying down until the cue ball stops rolling. Practice shooting the cue ball from one spot to the other and back to the tip of your cue. Practice the straight in shots diagonally on the table. All this must be done while you are alone at the table. No practice is possible while you are playing a game. This should take you about 3-4 four years at 2 to 3 hours a day and if you have average ability you might become an above average player. If everything comes easy to you then find a good instructor and take lessons. And go to tournaments and watch the pros play. Jake

Duke Mantee
10-07-2002, 05:50 AM
Pool is a fine game, but that's all it is. Play it for simple enjoyment, play it for relaxation, or play it as a form of meditation--but don't let it absorb all of your interest and attention. There's more to the world and to living than just pool.

D.M.

bluewolf
10-07-2002, 06:08 AM
Have someone who is very good teach you the correct fundamentals.Then practice as much as you can.

"Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect"

a relative novice too.

bw

rackmup
10-07-2002, 11:49 AM
Take all of the free advice you can get.
Play all you can.
Buy a decent cue and case.
Take lessons from someone who knows pool and how to relate the game to you.
Join a league.
Always practice with a purpose. Use proven drills to improve your game. Never just bang balls.

If none of this helps, makes sense or is any fun after a minimum of one year of solid playing and practice:

Put the cue away for two weeks then quit the game permanently./ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Regards,

Ken

cheesemouse
10-07-2002, 12:21 PM
Always assume your opponent is about to 'dog their brains out', it keeps you in a postive state of mind... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rod
10-07-2002, 05:11 PM
BASIC fundamentals, there in most instructional books, tapes and personal instruction. If they are not then you have bought the wrong book or tape and or personal instruction. It is ok to experiment to a small degree, such as short draw and follow shots but you still have to stay within the basics. The problem is most beginners will violate the basics in some form when it is beyond their capabilities. The worst part is they do not understand why because they felt everything was the same.

Slightly advanced basics does not alter the basics it just fine tunes them to a degree. Now you start looking like you may be able to play this game. Well here is where a lot of problems start. Now we have someone that wants to draw or follow the cue ball a mile, why because it's flashy and you like to impress yourself and friends. Nothing wrong with that I guess except I'll bet you have violated a number of basics and you lack any kind of consistancy. Well consistantly miss that is.

Advanced basics fine tunes even more and the smart players really understand they win games by playing within their limits. Something the slightly advanced player has not figured out as yet. The game itself has limits on what you can do with the cue ball after making a shot.

Very advanced basics, this is a territory where few will ever travel, sort of like Star Treck. Some of these players may not be able to explain why certain reactions happen so the average or above average might be able to understand. That's why there are better instructors, books and tapes. None the less they hit the cue ball and object ball Exactly where intended with the type of stroke to produce the desired results. Sometimes these players may violate the basics a tad but be within "their" limits not yours.

Personally I think beginners or better, sometimes more than not, look for answers in all the wrong places. As an example the simple comment of follow through is well meant by all I'm sure. In reality the follow through is narural brought about by swinging a weight. What is not natural is stopping the forward momentum of such weight. Similar to a baseball player checking his swing, that's not natural he had to use physical force to stop the momentum. Beginners and even advanced players do this. It's called grab the cue tight, loose all sense of the weight, you know the instrument your swinging, force it to the cue ball and never have the relaxed muscles to let the cue and your lower arm go forward by there respective swinging weight. Sure "You" might call it a follow through, it reality it is a forced motion that lacks accuracy to say the least. Not only that you have just violated several basic fundamentals.

The point is stick within the basics. Read what the basics are and the area covered there. It's just the whole game.

My final thought is TEMPO it has everything to do with how a cue is delivered. Too fast causes jerks and unwanted movements, tight grip, wrist, arm, shoulder, body, head, balance, etc. It is rare to see lower rated players with a slower tempo back and through. It "may" come back slow but forward looks like a spastic attack. Instinct tells us we need to swing hard for more force, partly true. It is the rate in which we obtain this speed called forward progression that delivers a powerfull but "accurate" stroke. This is extremely important at any speed.

There are any number of shots one can set up to test when this break down occurs when you try to work the cue ball and make the shot with position or the break shot. You'll reach your limit of speed or power/ accuracy and hopefully know when to back off and stay within the basics.
Sorry for the long post, not really, I just haven't posted anything for a while so I felt like talking.

Ludba
10-07-2002, 05:29 PM
Can't disagree more. It's the best game in the world to obsess over: frustrating, rewarding, instrospective, mind-bending.... Play until your eyes bulge out, your blood pressure goes through the roof, and your bank account dwindles to nothingness. Play 10, 20, 168 hours a week and then play some more.

Cueless Joey
10-07-2002, 05:38 PM
My best advice is don't buy into different esoteric aiming systems.
Find the contact point and hit it.

10-07-2002, 05:51 PM
I can't remember the exact year, but I think it must have been around '88 or '89, they had a tournament called something like the "Willie Mosconi" something-err-rather at Hard Times in Bellflower. Willie himself was there. I can't remember, but he might have done a few trick shots or something at some point, but he was like the guest of honor. I was 16 or 17 at the time. I played in the tournament, and after one of my matches that happened to be close to where Willie was sitting, he told me "never play your opponent. Always play the table." At this point, he was already a bit senile, and proceeded to give me the same advise about 3 more times over the course of the weekend, but I would have to say that, if Willie Mosconi gave me the same advise 4 times in 2 or 3 days, it has to be good advice! /webbbs/images/icons/laugh.gif

10-07-2002, 09:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ludba:</font><hr> a) Try to visualize your shot before getting down on it.

d) Consciously try to establish a pre-shot routine when you practice, for example: walk around the table, choose your shot, chalk up, visualize the shot happening forward and backward, lower down on the shot, pocket, object ball, cue ball, 5 strokes, exhale as you follow through, stay down. The more consistent your routine, the more consistent the results. <hr></blockquote>

Yes, these are essential Ludba, but they are not really tips for beginners; they are tips for everyone.

I can tell you from experience, sighting the ball before I get down astronomically increased the percentage of long, difficult cut shots I make. Though for a beginner, I'm not sure visualizing a shot before he gets down helps when he has a hard enough time getting his cue going straight back and forth. However, it does get him in the routine, which is all important and leads nicely to point (d).

As with point (a), the pre-shot routine may be beyond the beginner, but it's certainly a very important aspect of the game that most of us have to work on. To be frank, I still have subtle problems that come and go with my pre-shot routine, and that's why I'm not as consistent as I should be. I'm going to hire an instructor to watch me and see how I can improve this part of my game. Maybe videotaping myself, like golfers do, would also help.

Rhythm! It's what life and things done well boil down to.

Best regards,
Bob