PDA

View Full Version : The Fisher Scandal

Qtec
08-16-2012, 04:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Progressive Insurance’s Response To The Fisher Scandal Is A Textbook Example Of A PR Catastrophe

As such, like me, you might have heard about the horrible ordeal that enveloped he, his family, and Progressive Insurance and has absolutely been blowing up the past few days (Gawker, for instance, now has an entire front page section dedicated to updates).

While I’ve written a bunch about the story on my personal blog and Twitter, I haven’t covered it for Mediaite, partially because I know the guy and mostly because it’s unrelated to politics and media. However, Progressive’s social media response has everything to do with media (the word’s right there in “social media”!) and I will write about that because it is basically a textbook example of a corporation doing every single thing wrong when combatting bad 21st century press.

For those of you who don’t know, this is what went down. Throughout last week, Fisher had been tweeting angrily at Progressive’s official Twitter account. Two days ago, he wrote a long post on Tumblr explaining to his friends and fans what the deal was. He gave it the instantly noticeable title, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>“My Sister Paid Progressive Insurance <u>to Defend Her Killer </u>In Court.”</span>

In that post, Fisher told of how his sister, Katie, had tragically been killed in a car accident with an underinsured driver. Witnesses claimed that the other driver was at fault and his insurance provider instantly paid out a small sum. However, Katie was a Progressive customer and they refused to give the Fisher family the money her policy promised her. Eventually, they offered to pay a much smaller sum, claiming that it wasn’t proven that Katie wasn’t at fault. The Fisher’s were forced to take legal action. However, due to a Maryland law, they found that it was illegal to sue an insurance company for policy payment. Instead, they had to sue the other driver in civil court to prove that he was at fault.

And here, in my admittedly biased opinion, is where it got disturbing. From Fisher’s Tumblr:

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>“Now my parents don’t harbor much venom for the guy who killed my sister. It was an accident, and kicking that guy around won’t bring Katie back. But kicking that guy around was the only way to get Progressive to pay. So they filed a civil suit against the other driver in hopes that, rather than going to court, Progressive would settle. Progressive did not. Progressive made a series of offers (never higher than 1/3 the amount they owe) and then let it go to a trial.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>At the trial, the guy who killed my sister was defended by Progressive’s legal team.</span></span>

If you are insured by Progressive, and they owe you money, they will defend your killer in court in order to not pay you your policy.“

Yikes. The driver was found at fault and now Progressive will have to pay but, still, yikes. </div></div>

link (http://www.mediaite.com/online/progressive-insurances-response-to-the-fisher-scandal-is-a-textbook-example-of-a-pr-catastrophe/)

Gasp!

Q

Gayle in MD
08-16-2012, 05:20 AM
And Repiglicans want less regulations, less oversight, and more oppurtinities for the insurance industry to use corrupt methods to avoid living up to their responsibilities.

Same way they seek to protect the corrupt polluters like Koch Brothers!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

LWW
08-16-2012, 07:06 AM
That's what happens when you get insurance from a moonbat crazy leftst company that has funded MOVEON.ORG, ACORN et al.

Soflasnapper
08-16-2012, 08:22 AM
A ridiculous comment.

That's what you get with insurance companies, period, unfortunately. That's their real job, and true business model-- underpaying claims. They try to hose you even when just paying for repairs.

There is another business model, public adjusting companies, whose business model is to help consumers get the right payment and full recovery that the insurance companies really owe you, and which they're trying to underpay on.

If you claim there are patriotic right leaning insurance companies that do not do this, that is wrong. They are in business to do these tricks, all of them.

LWW
08-16-2012, 08:36 AM
I don't disagree with any of that ... other than I won't go to a blanket statement they "ALL" act that way.

My comment was because the clear implication was made that this was because of republicans ... which Flo, the Flobot and Big Money clearly are not.

eg8r
08-16-2012, 08:50 AM
I agree this is an insane situation and wish Progressive would just pay the money however they are not doing anything illegally. If you are going to argue to have the law followed then you have to argue that it is followed all the time.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
08-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Legal doesn't mean right! That's your downfall in every discussion.

You used that false coverup every single time Bush lied to the public, even thhough hundreds of thousand of people died.

That's what I call NO CONSCIENCE!

Legal does not mean doing the RIGHT thing.

When you pay an insurance company to cover expenses when certain disasters occur, and then they set about a course of refusing to keep their contracted promise, they are common CHEATS! Health care industries, gambling bankers, predatory lenders, all of them are CHEATS when they fail to keep their agreements.

G.

eg8r
08-16-2012, 09:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Legal doesn't mean right! That's your downfall in every discussion.</div></div>Let's see if I can dumb this down for you...<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree this is an insane situation and wish Progressive would just pay the money </div></div>So, I started out my response saying Progressive should do the right thing and then gayle got all stupid on us and decided I never said that.

Look if you don't like being called an idiot then quit acting like one. If you don't like the laws then fight to have them changed. This is your own stupid state, I expect to see you out there fighting for this family to have the law changed in their favor so they can sue the insurance company. If you aren't going to help them that way then just shut up about what is right because it is obvious you never really cared and just wanted something to whine about.

eg8r &lt;~~~what is it about the elderly and needing a reason to complain about everything???

Gayle in MD
08-16-2012, 09:26 AM
What is it about the ignorant young and dumb that they never have an appropriate, adult answer for anythig.

Immaturity, or just pure bad manners, ill rearing, and gross ignorance.

G.

eg8r
08-16-2012, 01:14 PM
What is it about the elderly thinking they always have right answer and thinking they are never inappropriate and childish?

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
08-16-2012, 02:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is it about the ignorant young and dumb that they never have an appropriate, adult answer for anythig.

G. </div></div>

"Immaturity, or just pure bad manners, ill rearing, and gross ignorance."

Sadly Gayle, it is the wave of the future in this country. You ponder, and you injest through research and then come to an INTELLIGENT conclusion. Our country has dumbed down, and we have the poster kids here to prove it. sid

LWW
08-16-2012, 03:44 PM
That was just precious.

Gayle in MD
08-16-2012, 07:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is it about the ignorant young and dumb that they never have an appropriate, adult answer for anythig.

G. </div></div>

"Immaturity, or just pure bad manners, ill rearing, and gross ignorance."

Sadly Gayle, it is the wave of the future in this country. You ponder, and you injest through research and then come to an INTELLIGENT conclusion. Our country has dumbed down, and we have the poster kids here to prove it. sid

</div></div>

Kid, is exactly the correct description of Eh8tr.

People who enjoy insulting others suffer from low self-esteem.

Their feigned pretense of superiority is just a cover up for feeling less than a man, underneath it all. The Limpballs of the world are beneath us in reality.

Ever noticed how far behind he is on any current news?

Never provdes any links to support his ridiculous claims?

Never has anything beyond his juvenile insults and incorrect, intentionally twisted re-arrangements of accepted facts. That's his game. His act.

He's a total waste of time. No credibility at all.

People like him are to be pitied.

G.

eg8r
08-17-2012, 08:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kid, is exactly the correct description of Eh8tr.

People who enjoy insulting others suffer from low self-esteem.</div></div>It is this kind of hypocrisy that proves when you type you stare into a mirror.

eg8r