PDA

View Full Version : Anyone at the Riviera this Weekend?

SpiderMan
08-17-2012, 10:43 PM
My APA master's team leaves tomorrow (Saturday) for 'Vegas. If any other forum members are out here, look me up and say hello. We're "Plan B" from Dallas.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
08-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Y'all watch out. The guy is just looking for someone to buy him a grand buffet ;-) sid

Eric.
08-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Hey, Marty, i think i saw you in the vicinity of the Rio seafood buffet... OK, it had to be you, since you were sitting across the table from me. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Just like old times...dinner was great!

Here's another chapter of "you gotta be kiddin me"-

So, we (Kevin's Players from NJ) had a team in the 3 man event too. It was bad enough that if we won our first two matches and the other NJ team that plays from the same location wins their first two matches, that we would play each other. Traveling 2200 miles to play the same guys you see every week! Alas, we both lost our second round match, only to put our two teams on a crash course again!(if we both win the next match on the losers side).

When we get to the losers side, our next match is against...(wait for it)... Plan B, from TX! Talk about a small world. So, long story short, we happen to slip by Plan B, only to lose in the next round. Nothing left to do, so we went with "plan B" and...hit a buffet. That kinda brings us full circle.

Last, but not least, maybe Marty will share the story of why he wore the same T shirt for 3 days. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Eric

Rich R.
08-24-2012, 07:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last, but not least, maybe Marty will share the story of why he wore the same T shirt for 3 days. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif</div></div>
What, you have something against sleeping in your car??? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Eric.
08-24-2012, 07:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last, but not least, maybe Marty will share the story of why he wore the same T shirt for 3 days. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif</div></div>
What, you have something against sleeping in your car??? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

Well, that, or the "Seaside" shirt was his lucky shirt ala Efren.

Eric

SpiderMan
08-24-2012, 06:19 PM
I did get lucky with the lady who gave me that shirt, but that's a different story .... and my luck ran out with her last fall.

The past week was a travel nightmare. So f****d up that I expected Alan Funt to step out from behind a slot machine, flanked by John Candy and Steve Martin.

Got to DFW airport early Saturday afternoon, only to find that our flight was cancelled. So I got on a standby list, and was the 2nd-to-last passenger to board the last flight out that night. My teammates didn't make it - they had to go home and come back in the morning.

Once in 'Vegas, I stood at the baggage carousel for about 30 minutes, until all the happy people pulled their luggage and there was nothing left but a moving belt. Then the belt stopped moving, and I knew I was in trouble. I wasn't alone - there was already a long line at the AA service counter. I queued up with the rest.

The nice gentleman (Jonathan) behind the counter consulted his computer and noted that my bag had been located, scheduled on another flight, and I'd have it first thing in the morning. They'd leave it at the bell desk at my hotel, and call me. Jonathan also gave me a receipt, a record locator, an 800 number, and a web address for tracking my bag as it made its way to me. Seemed so very efficient and under control. So I rented a car and headed downtown, where I enjoyed a 3/4-lb slab of prime rib with baked potato and corn for $6.99.

Back at the room, I had nothing to unpack so I just hit the rack. Set my alarm for 7:30 to be sure I had time to shower, get clean clothes, cue, etc, before having to go to the Riviera.

Next morning - nothing. No luggage, no message. I wondered how long I should wait before heading over to the tournament. So I decided to call the 800 number, maybe they can tell me when the bag went out on the truck. Put in my information, and listened to the machine-generated message ... "We're sorry, your missing luggage has not been located yet". Jesus - did Jonathan lie to me? Maybe the phone system wasn't updated yet. I went to the web site and put in my record locator. Same response - they claimed to not have any idea where my bag was.

Match time coming up now, so I put the same clothes back on, put in my contacts without cleaning, and headed over to the Riviera with no cues. I figured I'd borrow one from a teammate. But guess what? Their flight wasn't in yet. So I checked the team in, waited around alone for our table assignment, and texted the other guys. They rushed in just in time, but we played like three blind quadraplegics.

Had lunch with my teammates, then called AA again. Same machine-generated answer, "haven't located the luggage", so I pressed "0" and waited for a human. Listened to "all of our representatives are helping other customers" for the next 30 minutes - and finally got someone. Gave him my info, he looked it up, and said "it's showing that we haven't found your bag yet".

So I went through my story of last night and Jonathan's assurance that my bag had indeed been found, and wondered aloud how they had managed to re-lose it. The guy was helpful enough, and said "I'll put you on hold while I call Las Vegas". 10 minutes later, he comes back on the line and says "you're right, they do have your bag in Las Vegas, and it should be at your hotel in 2 to 3 hours.".

It's now about 4 pm, so I go back to my room and wait. Hopefully I'll get to clean up before dinner. 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours, 5 hours, 6 hours. Called the 800 number again ... "sorry, your bag has not been located". Well, by then it was about 11 pm. I was hungry and pissed off, my balls were sticking to my underwear, my feet were sticking to my socks, and my teeth had not been brushed in 2 days. Plus, my eyes hurt. I decided to drive back to the airport and choke the sh*t (or my luggage) out of Jonathan.

Picture Steve Martin walking up to the rental counter in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". That was me. But again Jonathan was so agreeable and helpful - this time he produced an actual paper tag and proclaimed that it had come from my bag, which had arrived earlier that day. "So, where is it?", I asked. "The bag is on the truck", he replied, "headed for your hotel".

Is he just trying to get rid of me? Should I fall for this again? In the end, I exchanged my absense for his phone number, and drove back to the hotel. And my bag was THERE! I showered. I shaved. I brushed. I flossed. I cleaned orifices with q-tips. I took out my contacts. I rubbed clean underwear all over my body. I jerked off in a fresh towel. I went to sleep happy.

Next match, I played pretty well, and won 7-1. Then we matched up with Eric's team in the 3rd round, and they just plain out-shot us. So the remainder of the week was spent eating and sightseeing.

BOTTOM LINE: When AA loses your bags, don't rely on the web site or the automated phone service for any information - they do not update them! My bag was still noted as "not located", even after I had it in my possession. ONLY depend on the guy behind the counter at the airport. And I still don't understand why, if my bag actually arrived in Vegas early on Sunday, they didn't notify me or send it out until 1 am on Monday.

SpiderMan

Feeling MUCH better now that I have my STUFF!
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii168/funkychateau/MartyinHotel.jpg

Eric.
08-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Awesome recap, lol! Thanks for sharing the back story. I mean, it's not THAT funny because it did come at your expense (ok, maybe it was a little funny).

On a side note, I enjoyed playing your teammate Dan Weber. Seemed like a nice guy and no drama during the match. Give him my regards!

Eric

eg8r
08-29-2012, 04:24 PM
I will be heading out to Vegas for Halloween and SEMA this year. I will make sure to cram all my clothes into my carry-on. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~has never played a single session of APA /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

SpiderMan
08-31-2012, 02:38 PM
For the benefit of anyone who hasn't been there, here are is a short video compilation of downtown Las Vegas on a weeknight: Downtown Las Vegas - Fremont Street Experience (https://vimeo.com/48252276)

SpiderMan