PDA

View Full Version : Glasses or Contacts????

Drake
10-07-2002, 08:02 AM
My tournament play troubles continued this past weekend. I played the worse pool I have ever played, I couldn't run out if my life depended on it. This was very embarassing since I'm one of best 5 players in this non pool playing town. Savannah only has about a dozen serious players. Anyway, A good friend of mine did pretty well. He just recently just started playing with his glasses instead of contacts and claims he can see the balls much better!! I think he is full of crap. I get down on the stick pretty low and the object ball is just a blurr above the rim of my glasses. However, This did get me thinking about how many of the top Pro's do not have normal vision. Nick wears contacts and Karen wears glasses. Who else wears contacts??? Maybe I should have Lasik surgery.....like Tiger.

Doctor_D
10-07-2002, 08:24 AM
Good morning:

Having glasses with Varilux lenses, due to the fact that I am unable to wear contact lenses, I have experienced the same problem while addressing a shot on the table. Not only did the rim of the frame get in the way, distant shots were totally out of focus.

To resove this issue I scheduled an Eye Exam and brought my cue with me. I now have a prescription, suitable only from 3' to 12', exclusively for the pool table. In addition, I purchased sport glasses from DeCot www.sportglasses.com (http://www.sportglasses.com) which have eliminated the problem of looking into the upper rim of the frame. Check out their website for more info on their products.

Dr. D.

Chris Cass
10-07-2002, 08:26 AM
Hi Drake,

This is dependant on your age. I was looking into Lasik but found out I have Presbyopia. It happens to when your over 40. Geez, 40 sounds old and I don't feel old at all, I'm 47. Anyway, Presbyopia is when your arm isn't long enough to read anything. The up close vision. There's a surgery for it called SRP( Surgical Reversal of Presbyopia) I'm looking into. It's been done for yrs in other countries and now in the U.S. There's two Dr. that has a team that does trial studies for this surgery, for the FDA. One is in California and the other Dr. Soloway in NY. I'm on the list for the study. It's free if selected.

It's kinda cool. They slice and insert plastic into the white part of the eyes. It's almost painless, reversable, literly no adjustment period like Lasik, takes about the same time as Lasik and you'll be seeing 3 font type the next day.

The other is called a Lensotomy. They have a few names for this sugery. Mostly for people with Cadillacs, I mean catteracs(sp) anyway, they replace the lens of your eyes with contacts. This can be dangerous but it's pretty reliable.

I don't know if this is what your thinking about? Your age is important also for the study for SRP.

Regards,

C.C.

9 Ball Girl
10-07-2002, 08:58 AM
Hi Drake. I wear hard contact lenses (believe me it wasn't by choice but for a medical condition). Anyway, I don't know how I was shooting without them. The good thing about contacts is that your whole peripheral vision is covered. Jeanette Lee had the Laser surgery done and I know of a friend who might do the same thing.

John in NH
10-07-2002, 08:59 AM
Hi Drake,

Several years ago I quit playing pool because I wasn't competitive wearing my glasses, about five years ago I tried contacts on a trial basis, and I was amazed at the results, I now have 20/20 vision with contacts and I have never played better, also my golf handicap went down.

Laser surgery was never an option for me.

Make an appointment to try contacts on a trial basis, you have nothing to lose and a whole lot to gain.

Good luck,

John

10-07-2002, 09:19 AM
testin post

WaltVA
10-07-2002, 09:39 AM
I wore shooting glasses for years, found some conventional horn-rim type frames made by Safilo at my optometrist's which fit very similarly (large lenses riding high on face). They work great for me; never conscious of my rims. The ones I have are marked "Safilo Elasta 1030"; they may be out of production, as mine are pretty old, but you might check for similar models.

Walt in VA

Rich R.
10-07-2002, 09:50 AM
Please think twice before having the surgery. It is not 100% fool proof. There are many people that have vision problems as a result of the surgery, some of which are severe.
You should check out the glasses mentioned by Dr. D. I have seen hers and they look very good, and they seem to work well for her.
Rich R.~~~believes surgery should always be a last resort.

Drake
10-07-2002, 10:01 AM
I have always wore contacts but I am checking into Lasik. Three of my non pool playing friends had great results with Lasik and strongly encourage it to anyone. It probably won't have any affect on my pool game but it would be nice to wake and see the alarm clock!!!!!

SpiderMan
10-07-2002, 11:11 AM
Chris,

The age-related condition is actually a loss of focusing ability, ie the ability of your muscles to squeeze and thicken the lens to shorten it's focal length. I think the muscles are partly to blame (some suggest exercise programs to retain focusing ability), but also the lens loses it's flexibility.

If an older person has 20-20 distance vision, then the condition manifests as you describe - the eye muscles cannot thicken the lens enough to focus up close, so you now read in the crapper with the newspaper on the floor. Often the first sign is the inability to read in poor light; this is because brighter light causes the iris to contract, and the smaller aperture increases optical depth-of-field (as with a "pinhole camera", which can be in-focus without needing a lens).

I have read that older lasik patients frequently experience a permanent worsening of close vision after surgery because, in order to make certain that you see well at a distance, the surgeon will shoot to nominally over-correct you just a little. You never know this happenned, because you only have to use a small amount of focusing to pull your vision in at a distance. But, this still subtracts from the focusing ability remaining to continue bringing the focus closer. I imagine the reason for erring on the over-correction side is to make sure you have apparent perfect distance vision and don't ask for a re-do.

I think cataract patients lose nearly all of their focusing ability with a lens replacement. They have to rely on multiple prescriptions (ie trifocals) and depth-of-field.

I'm fairly nearsighted, and wear contacts for distance. I currently like this better than the alternative of lasik for distance but needing glasses for reading and work. I can relax around the house and read books/magazines without correction, then put in my contacts before I go out. If I reach a point where I have trouble reading menus in the restaurants with my distance-correction in place, I guess I can always get a cheap pair of reading glasses to put in my pocket. But, I don't want lasik over-correction to hasten the day when I need this.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Drake,

This is dependant on your age. I was looking into Lasik but found out I have Presbyopia. It happens to when your over 40. Geez, 40 sounds old and I don't feel old at all, I'm 47. Anyway, Presbyopia is when your arm isn't long enough to read anything. The up close vision. There's a surgery for it called SRP( Surgical Reversal of Presbyopia) I'm looking into. It's been done for yrs in other countries and now in the U.S. There's two Dr. that has a team that does trial studies for this surgery, for the FDA. One is in California and the other Dr. Soloway in NY. I'm on the list for the study. It's free if selected.

It's kinda cool. They slice and insert plastic into the white part of the eyes. It's almost painless, reversable, literly no adjustment period like Lasik, takes about the same time as Lasik and you'll be seeing 3 font type the next day.

The other is called a Lensotomy. They have a few names for this sugery. Mostly for people with Cadillacs, I mean catteracs(sp) anyway, they replace the lens of your eyes with contacts. This can be dangerous but it's pretty reliable.

I don't know if this is what your thinking about? Your age is important also for the study for SRP.

Regards,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

10-07-2002, 04:19 PM
I picked out my glasses specifically for Pool playing. I didn't get the "sport" frames. They are actually pretty small, but the top of the frame goes just a little higher than you usually see in small "fashion" frames. And I got them positioned high on my face, with the temples pretty short and snug, to keep them close to my eyes. They work great for me. When I get down low on a shot (chin on my cue), the top of the frame appears at least a foot above the opposite rail of the table. I think this is also partly due to the way I position myself. I probably have my head more straight up and down (and less tilted forward) than most who have your complaint about glasses.

And for your question about the pro's...I know lots of the people you see on TV. You'd be amazed at how many of them are wearing contact lenses! People think that great Pool players all have great vision. Many of them just have great eye doctors. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

DEADSTOKE32
10-07-2002, 06:38 PM
I WEAR GLASSES AND STILL CAN'T SEE .SO I'M LOOKINGR SOME ONE TO PLAY OLD SKOOL 9 BALL :-)..
BLIND AS A BAT. BUT LOVE TO PLAY POOL LOOKING FOR SOME FRIENDS.....

Chris Cass
10-07-2002, 08:18 PM
Hi Spiderman,

Thanks for the info. I was checked out by a doctor and a technician. The doctor said he wouldn't preform the Lasik on a perfectly good eye to make it right. So, I was turned down. So, there you have it. It's SRP or contacts. I have a slight astigmatism and I wear 175's for readers. I have trouble when two balls are close togather. I shoot by rote anyway. I put myself on the list for the SRP and will see another for contacts.

The technician said I looked good for my age. LOL

Thanks Marty,

C.C.

Rod
10-07-2002, 08:33 PM
Quote Mike "And for your question about the pro's...I know lots of the people you see on TV. You'd be amazed at how many of them are wearing contact lenses! People think that great Pool players all have great vision. Many of them just have great eye doctors."

Mike I'm not sure great eye doctors is the answer. Great ones are available in most large cities. "However Pro's do know where the pockets are." /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I wear contacts, got tired of seeing to many big fuzzy balls on the table.

Rod
10-07-2002, 08:45 PM
Hi Chris,
I've had problems with balls close together even when I could see. It takes me more time to line those shots up than any shot I can think of.

Rip
10-07-2002, 08:52 PM
The technician needs to have his eyes examined!! LOL, and an apology to CC but I just couldn't resist!! Rip~/ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Spiderman,

The technician said I looked good for my age. LOL

Thanks Marty,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

10-08-2002, 11:24 AM
/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

I just got my classes a couple of months ago. Made it to the age of 30 without them.

My problem wasn't fuzziness or bluriness. The balls and pockets were perfectly clear. However, I would see double sometimes! And when I wasn't seeing double, I was seeing mostly out of my right eye. Ever tried to pocket a 9-ball when you see TWO of them? It ain't easy! The glasses are very weak, and just do a little of the focusing work for me, to take some strain off my eyes and make it easier for me to converge of objects. It's really cool when I put them on. I've spent so much time by now seeing mostly out of my right eye that the world suddenly looks more "3-D"!

Yep, the pro's definately know where the pockets are! But seeing in-focus balls and pockets definately makes it easier than seeing blurry or fuzzy balls and pockets. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif