PDA

View Full Version : another tournament, another ideas........

marek
10-07-2002, 09:04 AM
Hi people!
On Sunday there was a quite big tournament here so I have another story for you willing to listen. There were 60 players from all corners of my country because there was a very generous price fund as the best 24 players were to be paid + this tournament was entry fee free. The game was 9-ball (as usual) and the tourny had very interesting format: shortened double elim.format (last 16 single elim.) winners side race to 7, losers side race to 5, alternating break and if both players got to the hill the race was prolonged by one game.
My first opponent was really easy pick for and I won 7:4. I was leading 5:1 then I almost fell asleep and woke up when it was 5:4 /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Next opponent was something different. Hes young and we know each other very well. Hes always very tough opponent. We both started with real bad game due to nervousity but I got into the lead and kept it there to 6:3. And there came the problem: since the beginning of this match I started to feel growing tension in my intestine and when it was 6:3 the tension became very STRONG /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I had 2 choices: first - to take long time-out and go to relive myself or second - to withstand the torture and try to win. Quess how did I choose? All I can tell I lost the match 6:8 so I dont have to tell which option was choice of mine /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif After that match (and 20 minutes of VERY strange sounds coming out of the toilets /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif ) I had to prepare for losers side marathon. I had to fight real hard but I prevailed. The hardest match was with some guy who liked to take any chance to combo 9. He shot the combo 2 times + 1 nine from the break...whoa.....I was trailing 1:3. Well...I got angry so I fouled him out 2 times and I won 5:3 /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
So I advanced into the last 16. I had to play strong opponent who had beaten me many times in the past. My break worked quite good and I really got into the rythm PLUS his break did NOT work (well..in fact it worked good but he scratched on all of his breaks /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif ) so there came the result: 9:0. You can imagine the boost of confidence... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif My next opponent was one of the toughest in the field so I expected fierce battle.... well......he flushed me down the toilet 1:9 /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif this match was exact opposite of the last one: my break didnt work and he got into the zone....

What is the idea of the day? Rack the balls yourself!
Another idea? Take the time-out even if it means pause of 20 minutes in the match (if TD allows you to do so)
Another? Practice your break!

Last one: Have a nice day!!! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Kato
10-07-2002, 09:35 AM
Another great story from Marek, keep 'em coming bro. Pretty soon you'll be winning that tournament!!!!!

Kato~~~perhaps Marek will be the next Sandor ............Tot?

Rich R.
10-07-2002, 09:43 AM
I love reading your stories Marek.
If I may, I will give you a little advice.
Whenever you attempt to fight with Mother Nature, she will win. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Keep playing well and keep the stories coming.
Rich R.

marek
10-07-2002, 10:10 AM
You are damn right Rich!
Righ now I just try to learn how to live in harmony with that b..ch! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

marek
10-07-2002, 10:19 AM
I am happy you enjoy my stories, there will be lots of them in as the pool season has started here....

P.s.: I have met Sandor Tot in person and seen him play and I will tell you one thing: he is good, he is really good and one day in not-so-distant-future(2-3 years).....I ll BE BETTER!!! And I mean it! Wish me luck! Tons of work ahead of me.... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Kato
10-07-2002, 10:42 AM
Well Marek, after the U.S. Open Sandor Tot is my new favorite player (ask anyone who was there and they will tell you). Hopefully in 2 to 3 years time you will be in the States winning matches in the U.S. Open and placing very high. Then, instead of you telling us stories about you then we will tell the masses stories of Marek beating Strickland, Archer, Parcia, the great Reyes, and yes even Sandor Tot.

Kato

marek
10-07-2002, 04:06 PM
Nice dream....hmmmmm.......but what a mountain to climb! the only thing that keeps me on the right road is my love for the game. Man I really love pool! And I really sacrifice a lot for my dream. But I made one promise to myself: in next 4 years pool must become my main source of income to continue safrificing my life to it. Well its much easier for me than for you to make it come true as my country isnt very rich and average month income is around 500$ here with me being no exception. I am very happy about having my sponsor and proud of it as well as there are not many players here who got as lucky as me to get sponsonship. But I know its only the chance, I have to make the work and the result is VERY unsure. But I really really believe that all the hard work will pay off. In fact it already does! And its in way I like the most: really good game! And when playing my best game....its only me and the table....then my opponent has to wait quite long to get another turn. But on the other hand its quite strange that my game can be so strong even when I see great areas of my game to improve - position game for example, break, jump, masse shots, safety play... there is always something new to learn and I love to add new instruments into my arsenal. Probably my greatest weapon is shootmaking ability (maybe I am gifted that way - I served my military service as a sniper here - I have been best shooter in whole battalion - have been able to hit 10 x 10 cm target from 200 metres with rifle without telescope!). Thats the reason I started to learn position play very late. We say: "Late but at least!" Even pattern play in 9-ball was something completelly new for me 12 months ago! Thank you Phil Capelle!!! I dont know why I am telling you all this about myself, I just feel the need to do so. Maybe due to warm welcome here, maybe I feel I have found some real friends here... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Thank you

cheesemouse
10-07-2002, 09:44 PM
marek,
I like your passion...you make your own rolls...good fortune to you our WILD AND CRAZY GUY...... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-08-2002, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: marek:</font><hr> Probably my greatest weapon is shootmaking ability (maybe I am gifted that way - I served my military service as a sniper here - I have been best shooter in whole battalion - have been able to hit 10 x 10 cm target from 200 metres with rifle without telescope!). <hr></blockquote>

It seems that your nickname should be: "The Sniper"

Feel free to use that /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif.

marek
10-08-2002, 04:36 PM
I am rather called "The Butcher" or "The Surgeon" by innocent victims of my lamb-slaughtering game during local amateur tournaments... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif