08-21-2012, 07:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqJOE0SyWnE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC9ZAh0_cuo&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L92teGFYgDs&feature=related

I am dedicating this post to Eg8tr....

G.

Gayle in MD
08-21-2012, 08:13 AM
My daughter e-mailed me back on this, and said, jeeze mom, what a depressing song!

She's forty eight, I'm sixty seven, but I think it's absolutely beautiful! Go figure? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I think Bobby Darin's version just might be the best one.

G.

Soflasnapper
08-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Great song, great singers, all.

Gotta pick 'The Voice,' Mr. Tony Bennett, as my fave here.

Gayle in MD
08-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Yep. I liked Tony's better than Franks, but Bobby's got my vote!

I love all three of them...btw.

So after my daughter sent me that e-mail, I sent her this one! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Ever heard it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0A7jAVDPJU&feature=fvwrel

eg8r
08-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Oh yuck, sappy music. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I like Frank's version best but based on those recordings I liked Bobby Darin's voice as recorded better than the others. All in all, one boring song song by three greats.

eg8r <~~~cracked up seeing Tony's tie tucked in behind his belt

Soflasnapper
08-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Upon reflection, I switch to Frank's version being the most nostalgic and having the most emotional impact (Tony still sings it best, and Bobby not his best work, as I love his singing generally).

That Carly Simon song is vaguely familiar, but don't recognize the video. Gotta love that '80s big hair, lol!

Gayle in MD
08-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Perhaps you remember it from the movie, Heartburn or from being played on the radio a lot, at the time that movie was playing, 1986?

Carly did the sound track for that Nora Ephron movie. It was based on Nora's book of the same title, which she wrote about her marriage to Carl Bernstein, of Woodward and Bernstein fame, aka Woodstein!, as Ben Bradly was known to call them, lol.

Meryl Streep played Nora, and Jack Nicholson play Bernstein.

I've always loved Carly's music, and Nora's writing, so a that movie was double bonus for me.

BTW, that song, Once Upon A Timewas in another of Nora's movies, Hanging up! out in the year 2,000 with Dianne Keaton, Meg Ryan, and another really good actress, whose name escapes me at the moment, blond gal, think she played in the TV sitcom, Friends , or one much like that one.

Hanging Up! was another great Nora Ephron movie, BTW, which Nora also wrote and directed, and at the very end, Walter Matthau, who plays their father in the movie, sings that song, Once Upon A Time.

He has no doubt the worst voice of any of the above, but his version is the most touching of any version that I have ever heard, in spite of his vocal limitations, and always makes me cry every damn time I watch that movie, and hear it at the end.

But, it could be because that movie reminds me of my Dad, since Matthau dies at the end, and also, I have three sisters, and there are lots of other things about that movie, that I relate to.....

G.

Soflasnapper
08-21-2012, 02:43 PM
I am now convicted of not watching many movies, as I never saw those at all.

"Chick flicks," right? LOL!

(grinning, ducking, running)

Grapenut
08-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Great song, Gayle.
Thanks for posting.

I see this one as being made for The Chairman of the Board. That arrangement and the lyrics just fit him. As I approach six decades of existence on this old planet, I find myself seeking out more and more, the type of music that highlights lyrical simplicity.

This "discovery" includes the great ones like Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole and Billie Holiday.

Nut

Gayle in MD
08-21-2012, 09:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am now convicted of not watching many movies, as I never saw those at all.

"Chick flicks," right? LOL!

(grinning, ducking, running) </div></div>

LOL, yep, I guess some would call them that, but it has been my experience, since I have loads of male friends, that most men, while they wouldn't, right out <span style='font-size: 11pt'>choose</span> a 'Chick flick' they really do love them. LOL...I've noticed that a whole lot!

Well, as long as you have seen, Out Of Africa, fabulous music Julia, Wonderful story, based on a Lilian Helman book, and of course, To Kill A Mocking Bird, Great movie, maybe one of the greatest ever...and The Women, but only the original, not the re-make, and The Great Gatsby, I will forgive you.

I'm a movie buff, as you can probably tell, and as long as my loved ones are fine, and I have my piano, my books, a pen and pad for writing, and my collection of movies, and some sort of garden, even if just a few big pots, I could be happy anywhere! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
08-21-2012, 10:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grapenut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great song, Gayle.
Thanks for posting.

<span style="color: #990000"> You are most welcome! </span>

I see this one as being made for The Chairman of the Board. That arrangement and the lyrics just fit him.

<span style="color: #990000">Good observation, friend...hadn't thought of that. </span>

As I approach six decades of existence on this old planet, I find myself seeking out more and more, the type of music that highlights lyrical simplicity.

<span style="color: #990000"> Yes, and that yearning for simplicity, grows as for all things in life, as we travel along, I think.

Lyrical simplicity is very lovely. I love all of the old music, by so many different artists, but I am also very much into classical piano, as well. I listen to quite a variety of music. </span>

This "discovery" includes the great ones like Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole and Billie Holiday.

Nut </div></div>

<span style="color: #990000"> Truly GREATS, all of them. And I do really love all of them, and also enjoy the younger artists singing their versions of the music of the famous greats of old.

Loved watching the documentary of Tony Bennet, singing his duets with all of the younger contemporary vocalists, did you happen to see it? He was singing duets with quite a few young vocalists, from Lady Ga Ga, to... Oh wow, can't pull up her name, the one that died just last winter, so young, but she was truly a great vocalist, would have had a very long career had she lived.

Tony thought she was THE greatest of all times....She was from the UK...such a shame that she died so young. Damn, I hate this when I can't pull up a name. I'll sit straight up in bed tonight at four A.M. and know it like my own!

Music is such a wonderful past time. Truly a great part of life.
I'm always torn, "Do I want to listen, or do I want to play?"

I'm afraid I do more listening these days...everything from Chopin' to Ella to Corrine Baily Rae, and Diana Krawl, another great young artist who can sing the sort of music you say you like, just as well as any of the older artists you are growing fond of...she is great! Do you know of her?

It makes me very happy so see so many of the younger vocalists singing these great classics. I just think that if one loves music, life is so much more pleasurable.

My granddaughter plays guitar, piano, and the violin...she's incredible, just a natural musician. Makes me so happy to see her enjoying her music.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the song. When I sent these same three versions in an e-mail to my daughter today, asking which was her favorite, she wrote back...

"That is one depressing song. Frank's version depresses me less, tho, because you know he probably went to an orgy or something right after he sang it."

LMAO! She is so funny! Keeps me laughing all the time! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Take care now...

G.
</span>

Soflasnapper
08-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Amy Winehouse, surely.

A great chanteuse, and a unique stylist, she was. RIP.

Gayle in MD
08-22-2012, 01:49 PM
YES!

Meant to look that one up.

Thanks!

G.

Sid_Vicious
08-22-2012, 05:46 PM
My goal if and when I hit a major lottery, is to open a non profit pool hall and expect no money to be made through daily sale of table time and booze...but it will basically only have old style blues music, endlessly playing, no charge, but you only have the limited selection for GOOD blues tunes. Some of Sinatra's music will fit in, but not that much.

I figure to call the place "Balls and Blues", and only friends will come in, no expenses, only a nice hangout, 24 hours of the day. The music alone will keep me there by itself. Great money games will be a natural, just check the guns at the door. My bouncer will be legally packin' and will shoot your ass, so don't steal any stake money, especially mine. sid

Gayle in MD
08-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Gotcha covered right here, Martin, if you ever get around to visiting!

The only difference is every player who shows up gets to pick a CD our of the pile when they take the stash on a game.

Of course, I lay out the choices, but there are plenty of Blues on the stack...

So, which version did you like the best? Frank, Tony or Bobby?

G.

Sid_Vicious
08-23-2012, 06:08 AM
I doubt I could ever not choose Frank, but all the songs chosen for sampling here caught me in a bad mood for objectivity. sid

Gayle in MD
08-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Sorry to hear that Martin.

Hope you feel better soon.

G.

sack316
08-23-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm going with Frank on this one!

Cool post Gayle /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

Gayle in MD
08-23-2012, 02:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going with Frank on this one!

Sack </div></div>

Thanks Sack,

Been Checking on you and the baby on Facebook. Some great pictures of you and yours on your page...

He's a doll for sure!

Love,
G.

sack316
08-24-2012, 11:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going with Frank on this one!

Sack </div></div>

Thanks Sack,

Been Checking on you and the baby on Facebook. Some great pictures of you and yours on your page...

He's a doll for sure!

Love,
G. </div></div>

Thanks my friend... yeah he sure has some nurses wrapped around his little finger up there!

Actually about to get ready to head up to bham to spend a few days with the little guy now, so expect more pics to be on the way /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

Gayle in MD
08-24-2012, 12:01 PM
I'll check for them for sure.

Keep a watch also on the Hurricane. It did take a jog toward the west this morning, eye was aimed towards Mobile. Of course that could change entirely by the time it makes land.

Don't know how far you are from the coast.

G.

hondo
08-25-2012, 07:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Amy Winehouse, surely.

A great chanteuse, and a unique stylist, she was. RIP. </div></div>

Man, I loved Amy Winehouse!

hondo
08-25-2012, 07:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqJOE0SyWnE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC9ZAh0_cuo&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L92teGFYgDs&feature=related

I am dedicating this post to Eg8tr....

G. </div></div>

Frankie baby!

Gayle in MD
08-25-2012, 07:34 AM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

So it looks Like Frank is the winner. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I, too, loved Amy.

Awful that Amy and Bobby Darin both died way too soon, particularly Amy.

G.

hondo
08-25-2012, 11:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

So it looks Like Frank is the winner. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I, too, loved Amy.

Awful that Amy and Bobby Darin both died way too soon, particularly Amy.

G. </div></div>

I was a big Bobby Darin fan also, Gayle.
To me there were only 3 great white pop singers in late 50s, early 60s: Elvis, Dion, and Bobby Darin.

Gayle in MD
08-25-2012, 12:01 PM
I absolutely loved Bobbay Darin.

No one ever performed "Beyond The Sea" or "Mack The Knife" as fabulously as Darin.

Who could EVER match Patty Page, singing "Old Cape Cod"? Maybe the Mcguire Sisters came close, but Patty performed it the best of anyone.

"Pop" music covered a lot music styles, back in the old days.

I would also add Nat King Cole, as one of the greats, during the fifties, and before. He was truly "Unforgetable" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif and no one can match his version of "I'll Be Home For Christmas."

"Chances Are"... OWNED by Johnny Mathis, he will always be king of that song.

Brenda Lee, and Connie Francis, had some great hits as well.

No one has ever performed, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" like Judy Garland, and no one will ever will, IMO, just as no one will ever sing "I Will Always Love You" as beautifully Whitney. And no one could ever match, Celene, in the song from the movie, "Titanic"... "My Heart Will go On"!

And isn't it awful that few could remember, at least I can't recall the name of the guy in the movie, "Casablanca," who performed "As Time goes By" at the piano.

I don't think anyone can match his rendition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vThuwa5RZU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpthnM6S9Nw

G.

hondo
08-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Basically, I was talking about late50s, early 60s.
Most of the good ones were black. 3 great white singers.
Lots of bad ones: Frankie Avalon, Fabian, Bobby Rydell, Tommy Sands, etc.

Soflasnapper
08-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Bobby Darin was the tops, or at the top, certainly, in a small less than handful of singing stylist talents. Great, great singer.

Here's someone singing Over the Rainbow in a different style.

Eva Cassidy. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5EesOU5oc0&feature=related)

She may be the greatest unknown to the masses singer ever, even though she's had some notice since her untimely passing.

Gayle in MD
08-25-2012, 12:37 PM
NO question, lots of bad ones...I didn't like any of those you mention, either.

I think for my taste, the worst might have been....doing a brain search, think his name was Neil Sedaka...is he the one who sang Calendar Girl?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

Gayle in MD
08-25-2012, 12:43 PM
WOW, beautiful.

What a shame she died before she became fully appreciated.

Yes, a different style of..."The Song Of The Century!"

sack316
08-25-2012, 08:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll check for them for sure.

Keep a watch also on the Hurricane. It did take a jog toward the west this morning, eye was aimed towards Mobile. Of course that could change entirely by the time it makes land.

Don't know how far you are from the coast.

G. </div></div>

I'm more central Alabama. I'm sure we'll see some storms from it but shouldn't be too bad where I'm at (and more importantly Samuel's hospital is much further north so should be no issues at all there).

Sack

hondo
08-25-2012, 09:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NO question, lots of bad ones...I didn't like any of those you mention, either.

I think for my taste, the worst might have been....doing a brain search, think his name was Neil Sedaka...is he the one who sang Calendar Girl?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

</div></div>

Actually didn't mind Sedaka but he wasn't one of my faves.

Gayle in MD
08-26-2012, 08:07 AM
I thought he was a dork, lol, but also, didn't care for is music. Put him in the same category as Wayne Newton.

Teenaged girls probably had a different standard for the white male singers of that era, than a boy would have. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

What was your most favorite ballad, or as we used to call them, "slow song" of the fifties and sixties, by a group or by one singer, male or female, white or otherwise?

G.

hondo
08-26-2012, 11:44 AM
"Love Me"- Elvis

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Love...833DC5&first=41 (http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Love+Me+by+Elvis+Presley&view=detail&mid=42AEB83C8E5062833DC542AEB83C8E5062833DC5&first=41)

hondo
08-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Runner-up

"Mack the Knife" Bobby Darin

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mack...tail&FORM=VIRE1 (http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mack+the+knife+youtube&mid=87B131433FBA0C9778E987B131433FBA0C9778E9&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1)

"Blueberry Hill" -Fats Domino

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=blue...tail&FORM=VIRE3 (http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=blueberry+hill-+domino&mid=C96E616EBCECCBE8FB71C96E616EBCECCBE8FB71&view=detail&FORM=VIRE3)