PDA

View Full Version : Romney's distracted campaign wasting precious time

Soflasnapper
08-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Here's Why Obama Is Maintaining His Lead Over Mitt Romney

óBy Kevin Drum
| Tue Aug. 21, 2012 8:20 PM PDT

Four weeks ago, thanks to Mitt Romney himself, the political world was consumed with "Romneyshambles," Romney's gaffe-filled disaster of a trip to Europe and Israel. Three weeks ago, thanks to Harry Reid, the political world was consumed with Mitt Romney's taxes. Then, thanks to Priorities USA Action, we spent a week arguing about whether Mitt Romney killed Joe Soptic's wife. A few days later, thanks to Paul Ryan, we spent a week being consumed by Medicare. Now, thanks to Todd Akin, it appears that we're going to spend this week talking about "legitimate rape" and abortion politics.

Barack Obama must be laughing his ass off about this. When was the last time Mitt Romney actually got to talk about the weakness of the economy? Over a month ago?

[end quote]

Kevin Drum is a sharp commentator. See his work at his blog at the Mother Jones site. (http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum)

Soflasnapper
08-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Another more colorful NSFW language take (internal links on all points active at linked site):

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Ouch.
It's been over a month since Mitt Romney had anything resembling "good news" or been able to stay on message.

It started with "oh shit, how do we change the discussion from my tenure at Bain, and what date I actually left the company?"

Then, thanks to Harry Reid, it was "oh shit, how do we get people to stop talking about my taxes?"

There was a brief interlude of "oh shit, my base is pissed at me for defending RomneyCare!"

Of course, that led to the panic pick of Rep. Paul Ryan as Romney's running mate, which immediately became "oh shit, how do we justify Ryan's assault on Medicare?"

After the last weekend, it became "oh shit, how do we shift the discussion away from our neanderthal views on abortion?"

And now finally, it's back to "oh shit, how do we get people stop talking about Bain?"

It's like some fucked up version of the circle of life.</div></div>

permalinked (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/08/23/1123470/-Mitt-Romney-s-rough-several-weeks-condensed?detail=hide)

Others have said, and I agree, that Obama's campaign already has achieved their tactical goal of making this a choice election, not a referendum election. Romney seems to have planned the referendum one, and not the choice one, and now flounders. He even seems to find a need to create a whole new narrative from whole cloth (the welfare ads, and the false quotation ads), which are actually off his core message of 'hey, fire this guy, he did a bad job!'

Gayle in MD
08-24-2012, 10:32 AM
They have both been booed, more than once, when they have mentioned repealing the ACA, and on their statements regarding their plans for Medicare.

Several times just this week.

G.

Soflasnapper
08-24-2012, 02:31 PM
If 'I'm not Obama, so you must vote for me!' doesn't work, he's in some trouble, with all the incoherent and mathematically impossible claims and promises he's made.

How about this one? Medicare is in such dire and imminently dire trouble that it must definitely be reined in, STARTING IN 2022, with the current 54 year olds. (??? what the hell kind of political bs is that?)

Or how about this one? The hospital trust fund of Medicare is in such dire and imminent trouble that we should hasten its depletion by 4 years, by repealing the ACA.

On nearly any policy prescription, they have a bogus contrived and wholly unworkable plan.

Energy independence? For what, 5 years? Then what? No domestic available oil when we may very well need it for strategic purposes more than ever? AND ending all subsidy for the eventually needed replacement energy sources?

Gayle in MD
08-24-2012, 04:41 PM
And just today he used the dog whistle, racist Birther accusation, claiming "...no one has to ask to see MY birth certificate, this is the place where Ann and I were born and raised, born right here..."and on and on he went, naming the hospitals in which he and his wife were born.

Not only racist, but shamefully dishonest, since we have all seen the presidents' birth certificate along with a lot of other documentation.

So now, after pretending that he agreed that the president was an American Citizen, his desperation to have it his way, winning at all costs, believing himself entitled, causes him to throw up the truth,.... he's a racist, and nothing is beneath him, ot even joining in with the likes of Donald Grump.

I believe he's going to continue with these unwise and irrational outbursts and gaffs. He seems to have one every day! He just cannot keep that foot out of hs mouth.

G.

eg8r
08-25-2012, 07:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And just today he used the dog whistle, racist Birther accusation, claiming "...no one has to ask to see MY birth certificate, this is the place where Ann and I were born and raised, born right here..."and on and on he went, naming the hospitals in which he and his wife were born.

Not only racist, but shamefully dishonest, </div></div>Which part of the Romney quote that you posted was racist or dishonest?

eg8r

Soflasnapper
08-25-2012, 09:41 AM
The part where no one has asked him for his birth certificate.

That isn't true.

There is some rumor that his given middle name isn't Mitt, but Milton. A reporter asked to see his bc to verify what his given middle name actually is. The Romney campaign has not provided it to that inquiry.

I'm almost willing to give Mitt a pass on the joke, because he didn't support the birthers' claims, but mentioned that the controversy existed in passing, which is entirely true.

But even impromptu remarks are scripted to a tee, including the opening joke lines, so this bare sideways mention of the controversy was done on purpose, for a purpose.

An unworthy purpose that doesn't help him politically, unless he is still concerned about getting such theorists to vote for him.

If Obama one day on the stump 'jokes' that 'no one has accused me of killing a man's wife!,' hardeeharhar, which would probably go over well with a partisan crowd, I think you would understand the point all too well then.

There would be widespread condemnation of such a remark from the other side, and not inappropriately, as it would be fairly despicable, even with all the same alibis available (he didn't say anything that was false! he never said that himself! he takes the opposite position!).

eg8r
08-25-2012, 11:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The part where no one has asked him for his birth certificate.

That isn't true.</div></div>Alrighty, I will give you that one. I am sure someone needed to ask the question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But even impromptu remarks are scripted to a tee, including the opening joke lines, so this bare sideways mention of the controversy was done on purpose, for a purpose. </div></div>Do you think Mitt does all the scripting for his speeches?

OK, so where is the racist part? As you recall but avoided, gaylio called him a racist based on that quote.

eg8r