PDA

View Full Version : Bravo! Fed. Court Rules Against Tx. Voter ID Law

Gayle in MD
08-30-2012, 10:36 AM
WASHINGTON -- A federal court has ruled against a Texas law that would require voters to present photo IDs to election officials before being allowed to cast ballots in November.

A three-judge panel in Washington ruled Thursday that the law imposes "strict, unforgiving burdens on the poor" and noted that racial minorities in Texas are more likely to live in poverty.

The decision involves an increasingly contentious political issue: a push, largely by Republican-controlled legislatures and governor's offices, to impose strict identification requirements on voters.

The ruling comes in the same week that South Carolina's strict photo ID law is on trial in front of another three-judge panel in the same federal courthouse. A court ruling in the South Carolina case is expected in time for the November election.

<span style="color: #990000">Great News! Is there still enough time to divert the planned Republican throwing of yet another election?

This is why every Democrat needs to vote. We are only really safe when we have overwhelming margins that Republicans cannot throw out! </span>

eg8r
08-30-2012, 11:36 AM
I agree with this IF AND ONLY IF the wording said driver's license only. If the person can provide some other form of government identification proving they are who they say they are then that should be sufficient.

Why does the left object to a person proving who they say they are?

eg8r

Soflasnapper
08-30-2012, 01:21 PM
The left? The people opposing voter suppression, you mean?

There has always been a requirement of some kind of id. That's why you are issued voter registration cards. That's why your name is checked against the list. That's why you sign the registration form next to a specimen of your prior signature.

What has changed depends on the state, but one big change is that ids that were formerly allowed are now disallowed. Some might be allowed if they had an expiration date, but not if they do not. Other states get rid of all other forms of id in favor of state-issued picture ids.

As the Texas court said, if the newly trimmed list of acceptable ids could be gotten free and without difficulty, they would allow such new restrictions.

However, the court found many people would have to travel over 200 miles at their own expense, and that other impediments existed.

Another example is PA, where the new ids cannot be gotten at all in 9 counties, and in another 13 districts, the state offices where those can be obtained are open 1 day a week.

I think it was Texas where the state offices where these could be obtained were being closed in many counties.

Gayle in MD
08-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Cleary, undenible Republican disenfranchisment.

Yet another proven dishonorable Republican effort to throw yet another election!

G.

cushioncrawler
08-30-2012, 05:56 PM
I reckon the best voting system iz az follows...
[1] All shood hav tattoo identifycation on arm etc.
[2] All shood hav photo etc id.
[3] Voters rolls shood be blank, with zero voting and zero elections and zero politicians.
mac.

Sid_Vicious
08-31-2012, 08:15 AM
"Great News! Is there still enough time to divert the planned Republican throwing of yet another election?

This is why every Democrat needs to vote. We are only really safe when we have overwhelming margins that Republicans cannot throw out!"

It makes not one hill of beans for the state of Texas, UNLESS the popular vote was the deciding format for the country instead of the EC. Texas is never going Democrat, ever, I don't care how many illegal Mexicans you line up with no photo IDs. Again, the futility over the EC system continues to save me the effort of even presenting a shadow in a voting booth. That is one bright side as I see it.

But no, there is not enough time to steer the Rightie's corruption plans within the swing states, which has possibilities for altering the final results. You can fugget-a-bout-it. sid

LWW
08-31-2012, 09:31 AM
<span style='font-size: 26pt'>BRAVO!</span>

How can anyone expect the demokrooks to survive without the undocumented demokrook vote and without the necro-american vote!

Soflasnapper
09-01-2012, 09:42 AM
How can the GOP survive, you mean?

The white population is going down from 75% of the voters to 50% of the voters, and soon. The GOP currently loses nearly all minorities at 2-1 rates or worse. (Admittedly, a Rubio or Cruz or some others will likely be more competitive as national candidates than the stale old white guy cohort that party has put forward in recent elections.)

What I've heard is REPUBLICAN strategists talking about a future in which they will be asking themselves how to be competitive IN TEJAS down the road just a bit (as the state grows ever browner with Mexican-Americans and others).

Frankly, the long history of Democratic voter fraud probably involves no serious impact from undocumented people voting, nor from dead Americans voting. The way they used to do it anyway was stuffing ballot boxes, which doesn't require anyone vote at all. This was done off-site, and then these extra boxes of votes brought into the counting area at the time, or just after, whatever.

I'm curious if you have the slightest evidence that illegal immigrants and/or dead peoples' alleged votes have ever been decisive in any election whatsoever in our recent history (I'll give you a 20 year window lookback, to account for Clinton's two wins, and many years of Democratic Party gains in seats in the Congressional elections).

Gayle in MD
09-01-2012, 11:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But no, there is not enough time to steer the Rightie's corruption plans within the swing states, which has possibilities for altering the final results. You can fugget-a-bout-it. sid </div></div>

Why do you say that, Sid? There are more cases already scheduled and coming before the court in other swing states, you know.

The more of them that are thrown out, the more heat there is on those which are left.

There is time enough to reverse all of them, at the state level, I would think.

Additionally, I don't think Romney has a chance in hell of winning in Wisc. That lie about the auto plant is flyng all over that state, and neighboring states!

Did you see The Ed Shultz show last night? More of the employees of that plant are coming out to give interviews, calling Ryann and Romney LIARS, standing before huge crowds of people, all of them booing Romey AND Ryan!

Republicans have thrown a lot of people out of work. More than most people realize. They are behind on AFrican American votes, behind on women's votes, behind on Latino votes , GLTG votes, Teachers, Firemen, and some Christians will not vote for a Mormon!

The Demographics are against them. They are not going to get ALL of the White voes, either.

G.