PDA

View Full Version : Class act from Barry Behrman?

phil in sofla
10-07-2002, 08:16 PM
I haven't seen the following anywhere as of yet, but I was told of it by someone attending the Open this year, who witnessed it. Any confirmations/denials would be welcome.

As some may remember, two years ago the Open came just about 9/11. Although the show did go on, the gate suffered something terrible, and the purses were trimmed by thousands per player, with Barry pleading act of God/necessity for having less added monies.

My understanding second hand from Dave was that Barry made up the shortfall this year, to anyone in the money the previous year who had been shorted, so long as they showed up to play this year. Specifically, Dave mentioned seeing Barry pay Cory D. some $10,000 he had been shorted the previous year (a stack of a hundred Benjamins), and supposedly any of the rest who showed up.

Even if as Dave told me, the gate was about the best ever, and then of course there was the PPV monies, still, if this is true, Barry did the kind of classy thing that is not often seen in the pool world from all I hear from y'all here. Major kudos to an honorable promoter, if this is so.

Anyone know if what I heard is about right?

eg8r
10-07-2002, 08:21 PM
If my memory serves me, there was a pic on the azbilliards site of earl grinning cheek to cheek when receiving his money.

eg8r

10-07-2002, 08:21 PM
Class would have been to pay back every who was owed money not just those that showed up.

cueball1950
10-07-2002, 08:23 PM
i heard the same thing. only it hapened last year. The story i heard was that barry had the choice to refund the paid in advance reservations VIP seating and cut the purse short or to not reimburse them and keep the purse the way it was, he chose to refund the monies and cut the purse. Either way he did a great job this year at the Open with his son Brady and they did a fantastic job.........mike

phil in sofla
10-07-2002, 08:25 PM
Well, classIER to pay everyone, and not to use it as kind of appearance money, I agree.

Still, in this world of pool, ANY class is worth mentioning, and I still think it's much to Barry's credit.

ted harris
10-08-2002, 10:21 AM
No, class is what Barry Behrman has, and showed. No class is what the "infamous 4" pool players showed by not showing up at the event.

rackmup
10-08-2002, 10:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>No class is what the "infamous 4" pool players showed <hr></blockquote>

One has to wonder:

If they knew ahead of time they would be collecting "owed" money, would their allegiance to the UPA have been so strong?

If the answer is "Yes" and they would have still chosen not to participate in the Open, then those players not only have "class" but a dignity and a belief in something greater than monetary gains.

Belief in something is far greater than any cash rewards if the benefits of that belief will eventually improve Men's Professional Pool.

Regards,

Ken

Lester
10-08-2002, 10:44 AM
[&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Belief in something is far greater than any cash rewards if the benefits of that belief will eventually improve Men's Professional Pool.

Regards,

Ken
<hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;A noble thought Ken, but all they really did was step on their own "johnson" by not showing up. And they discredited the UPA in the process by trying to "PR" Barry into meeting their sponsorship demands. I'd be surprised if the "Derby" even talks to them about a UPA endorsement now. JMHO ***Lester***

Nostroke
10-08-2002, 11:02 AM
I only heard and read that Barry was going to pony up $500 to each player owed. Maybe it was a total of $10,000.00. I cant imagine Barry or anyone else in his position for that matter, paying out ALL THE MONEY "owed" without some major publicity about it.

Vicki
10-08-2002, 11:43 AM
I know at least 2 of the players knew they had money from last year coming to them and elected not to attend anyway.

Vicki
10-08-2002, 11:47 AM
The UPA is advocating for a single elimination race to 15 format. That is contrary to the intent and spirit of the Derby City Classic which has a race to 7 and buy back option. There is no way Derby City is going to change their format. The only way we will see it sanctioned is if the UPA bends on their format requirement.

10-08-2002, 11:48 AM
why did anyone HAVE to show up to get payed?

what so classy about paying out what you owe?

he needed 10,000 ppv viewers to break even. did he get that?

Drake
10-08-2002, 12:07 PM
I might stand alone on this side of the fence. But I believe the UPA and all the rules and regulations are just specific things that adhere to the original intent of progressing Men's Professional Pool to another level. If a tournament has this INTENT at it's heart.....The UPA will overlook all the rules and regulations. This is just my opinion.

AzHousePro
10-08-2002, 03:09 PM
http://www.azbilliards.com/usopen2002/bradyearl.JPG

AzHousePro
10-08-2002, 03:12 PM
From my understanding, the total of $10,000 was paid back. Not just $10,000 to one player but a total of $10,000. It all comes down to how you view what happened last year.

Do you view it as Barry borrowing $30,000 from the prize fund of lowering the prize fund by $30,000.

If he borrowed the money, then he would still owe $20,000. If he lowered the prize fund, then it was a pretty classy move to pony up $10,000 to make up for it this year.

I also know there was some debate between the UPA and Barry as to how the $10,000 would be paid back. Both sides wanted to be able to dictate how the money would be paid back.

Mike

Drake
10-08-2002, 03:12 PM
......"One for Brady....Two for Earl....One for Brady.....Two for Earl!!!" JUST KIDDING FOLKS!!!!

eg8r
10-08-2002, 07:30 PM
I hope the derby stays the same and every other tournament stays the same. These tourneys were here long before Charlie(UPA), and he is still a nobody in the whole scheme of things. I think it is great that Charlie is showing some "initiative", however by having his own demands and threatening to boycott is crazy. These tourneys were around before him and they will be around after him. Just take a look at the Open. Where was Charlie? How did the Open turn out? They don't "need" Charlie, I think it is the other way around, otherwise Charlie just sits on his butt and wishes he was there playing.

eg8r