PDA

View Full Version : Appreciate Those Times When They Happen Along

Sid_Vicious
09-03-2012, 09:11 AM
One thing I find invaluable, is playing the oldest guys who carry 50-60 years plus or more of talent and stories to tell. It amazes me how these players, who move so slow now due to age and wear, still stroke sweetly and "invite" a game without having to buy the chance, like it is with the younger vets. I, for some reason, gravitate to these gents, and I have never left the experience without good times and newly found memories. Basically though, these are friends, found by personal luck during my travels of simply playing pool.

If anyone passes up the chance to play the oldest and the best players,,,you lose. These players are a blessing to everyone, and most of us don't take the opportunity. I will play these guys at any opportunity. The most recent time was last night, he with a valuable Balabuska he's always played with, and I got a story from the guy about when he played for 40 hours straight, winning 6K. Hell, I begin to fail in my body after 10-12 hours. I can't even imagine playing for 40 hours with no breaks.

Everyone should really appreciate the times when you get these players to yourselves. I truly feel that we win so much in these experiences. I had a good time, and won a couple or three games.

Appreciate those times when they happen along. As Fast Eddie said in COM, "I only have so many games left in me." sid

Rich R.
09-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Great post Sid and I agree totally.

When I was in my late teens and working in a poolroom, there was an old guy who came in every day. He was a quiet guy and I didn't get any stories from him. In fact, I really never learned much about him. I just know he came in every day, always wore a suit coat and a dress hat, maybe an overcoat if the weather was cold. He quietly sat and read his news paper until someone asked him to play. Although it seemed like he could barely walk, he would always play some straight pool, which was the popular game at that time in that room. Whenever I wasn't too busy behind the counter, I would ask to play and we had some terrific games. I learned a lot just watching him play. As you could probably tell, playing straight pool with "Chick" is a very fond memory.

Although I don't get to the poolroom every day, I am now one of the old guys. Whether it is just picking up a game on the side or playing in one of the leagues, I enjoy playing pool with the young guys. I know now that Chick enjoyed playing pool with me as much as I enjoyed playing with him. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
09-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Great post Sid,
I agree with you & Rich. I would watch the older guys just to see how they would play the game as compared to how I would play it. I learned a lot by watching and losing. I learned to play better position and better safes from it. In leagues, I would rather play the better players rather than the ones who are ball bangers.

DG(Duane)

enjoydgame
09-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Good post, Sid.
I totally agree.. we all learn best by watching people in our surroundings. Most of us have learned the game watching senior players. It is a real pleasure to watch these elderly people play the game that we (and they) so heartily love. Playing with them is always a great experience.