PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey 14.1 Straight Pool Tourney

10-07-2002, 08:56 PM
Legendary East Coast straight pool player Jack Colavita is bringing back the New Jersey Straight pool championship, to be held at Comet Billiards on Littleton Rd in Parsippany New Jersey on December 6th through December 8th 2002.

The tournament is a 16 man invitational, which is currently full with a number of additional standbyes. The format will be double elimination, 150 point matches.

Some of the players who will be participating along with Jack Colavita is Allan Hopkins, Danny Barouty, Steve Lipsky, Don Pollo and Steve Lilis.

Jack is a 6 time New Jersey state straight pool champ, New Jersey Masters, as well as 3 time New York State champion as well as a major world contender. Jack is attempting to bring as he states "The true game of champions" to the younger Pocket Billiard spectator. Today, all that is recognized as the official game is 9 ball, which years ago was only played as a "Money game", and not the true game of tournament competition.

To anyone who has never visited Comet Billiards, it is New Jersey's most modern and luxurious billiard lounges, with great new equipment (Brunswick Gold Crowns).

Jack welcomes everyone to come and spectate this classic event, which will start on Friday December 6th at 8pm and run through Sunday evening.

10-07-2002, 09:46 PM
God, I am jealous. I love straight pool. I wish I was closer to New York and New Jersey where straight pool is alive and not just an anachronism. As a Denver instructor calls it, the king of pool games. Okay, there are a few of us not living in the Northeast who appreciate its thoughtful elegance.

Of course, mustn't forget the creativity and invention found in One-Pocket.

Bob

cueball1950
10-07-2002, 10:25 PM
Did he invite Mike Zuglan???? Mike is probably one of the best 14.1 players around.........mike

10-07-2002, 11:01 PM
Can an invitational really be a State Championship? Who sanctions this?

Rod
10-07-2002, 11:10 PM
If I lived back east I would be sure to attend. 14-1 tournaments rank right up there with tour stops. Well if there was an actual tour. My hats off to Jack and Comet Billiards for putting on such an event. It's pretty rare these days to see, Quote Jack, "The true game of champions." I hope it goes well with many more to come.

10-08-2002, 08:37 AM
It's interesting to note the Jack Colavita's birthday is also December 6. What a great birthday present!

9 Ball Girl
10-08-2002, 08:50 AM
You might just see me there to spectate some good shootin'! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif