PDA

View Full Version : what a hoot

bluewolf
10-08-2002, 07:41 AM
just checked whos online.12 registered, 36 anons...what is this board cumin too ROTFLMAO

bw

rackmup
10-08-2002, 07:47 AM
...but there are 391 registered users so if there is a problem, I think we can take 'em.

Regards,

Ken (used to be bothered by the anonymous flamers but there are good anonymous posters with valuable info that cannot be discounted simply because they wear the mask of secrecy. All of the really good people were "anonymous": Batman, Spiderman and The Green Hornet)

nAz
10-08-2002, 07:49 AM
im running for cover :-)

they maybe Regeis, that r logging in under Anony

Rich R.
10-08-2002, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> All of the really good people were "anonymous": Batman, Spiderman and The Green Hornet) <hr></blockquote>
Let's not forget the Lone Ranger.
Rich R.~~~remembers the Saturday morning westerns.

Fred Agnir
10-08-2002, 08:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> All of the really good people were "anonymous": Batman, Spiderman and The Green Hornet)

Let's not forget the Lone Ranger.
<hr></blockquote>
Yeah, and Underdog, too.

Fred &lt;~~~ thinks Polly Purebread must've been dumb and blind

10-08-2002, 08:39 AM
I don't get the problem. I don't think there is 10 registered posters using their real names. How is a made up screen name and a phony bio. any different from an anonymous? Other then you can't send a personal message who cares. Most here just want to hear a little about pool and maybe share some ideas in the course of the day. Few really want to get too social with strangers from the Internet. You choose to share your innermost feelings with anyone willing to listen. That is not the norm, most people don't do that. Maybe you should turn off the computer and watch Dr. Phil.

10-08-2002, 08:47 AM
Just as an interesting note, I know that one of the semi-regular anons is Lee Majors. You never know who is on here.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-08-2002, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Just as an interesting note, I know that one of the semi-regular anons is Lee Majors. You never know who is on here. <hr></blockquote>

OK I'll bite. Paul Sorvino I would certainly believe but Lee Majors? I didn't even know he was a poolplayer. Where does he play?

Wally~~likes Lee Majors cause he went to college in Kentucky.....

10-08-2002, 10:40 AM
He has a condo in The same building as I do. He is here a few months out of the year. The place has five 9 ft Gandy tables in the rec room. He plays there a lot when he is around. He plays ok. We talk a lot. He is in to computers and we have talked about the ccb. He reads a lot of different news groups and forums. He told me he posts once and a while. I don't know if he posts as an anonymous or has a made up screen name, which is the same thing really. It is funny you mention Paul Sorvino. I sold him a foreign pool mag on ebay. I was surprised when he won the bid, to find out who it was.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-08-2002, 11:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> He has a condo in The same building as I do. He is here a few months out of the year. The place has five 9 ft Gandy tables in the rec room. He plays there a lot when he is around. He plays ok. We talk a lot. He is in to computers and we have talked about the ccb. He reads a lot of different news groups and forums. He told me he posts once and a while. I don't know if he posts as an anonymous or has a made up screen name, which is the same thing really. It is funny you mention Paul Sorvino. I sold him a foreign pool mag on ebay. I was surprised when he won the bid, to find out who it was. <hr></blockquote>

Paul Sorvino and David Brenner are part owners of Amsterdam Billiards in NYC. Or at least they used to be. Paul Sorvino was on the cover of BD a few years ago.

SPetty
10-08-2002, 11:43 AM
Okay, if this is a serious question...

From the reader's perspective: If you post regularly, it would be a good idea to register so that we can know who you are and where you're coming from. We can learn a lot about the posters if they post regularly - their likes, their dislikes, etc. It helps place the posts into perspective. There are some people, I'm sure, who won't read this post because of who wrote it, while others will make sure to read it because of who wrote it. I suspect there are many regulars who don't read posts by Anon's due to a bad history with them. Used to be, even the Anon's could put in a name in the "posted by" field, but CCB Admin as seen fit to remove that option. Anyway, posting with the same name each time lends some continuity to your posts. You may find yourself still here after years, and it would have been nice to have gotten to know you a little.

From the poster's perspective: Yes, personal messages are a good thing. You can also go back and edit a post where you made a stupid spelling error or a false judgement. You can even delete a post that you may have written a bit too hastily. You can select the format in which you want to read the posts, you can decide if you want to see all those pictures that people put with their names, you can choose how many posts per page to see, etc. Many different ways to configure it just how you like it.

Perhaps these aren't compelling reasons, but I think they are good reasons.

Oh yeah, and you can play in the annual CCB tournament at the USOpen!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I don't get the problem. I don't think there is 10 registered posters using their real names. How is a made up screen name and a phony bio. any different from an anonymous? Other then you can't send a personal message who cares. Most here just want to hear a little about pool and maybe share some ideas in the course of the day. Few really want to get too social with strangers from the Internet. You choose to share your innermost feelings with anyone willing to listen. That is not the norm, most people don't do that. Maybe you should turn off the computer and watch Dr. Phil. <hr></blockquote>

10-08-2002, 11:54 AM
I think you are probably right. I like the idea of being able to edit. So I guess I will make up a name and register. Will I be begin getting junk mail from BD? I am on AOL so I may just create a new email for the forum. Thank you for the advice. I will be sure to follow your posts, as you gave me a serious answer rather then a wise A remark.

SPetty
10-08-2002, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I think you are probably right. I like the idea of being able to edit. So I guess I will make up a name and register. Will I be begin getting junk mail from BD? I am on AOL so I may just create a new email for the forum. Thank you for the advice. I will be sure to follow your posts, as you gave me a serious answer rather then a wise A remark. <hr></blockquote>Well, thanks, if you're the same Anon! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif You don't have to put in an email address for the public to see, although you need one for the BD admin folks. You will absolutely not receive any junk mail from BD, and they won't sell your email address or anything like that as far as I can tell.

Good luck finding a pool related username on AOL! It's tough!

10-08-2002, 12:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr>Thank you for the advice. I will be sure to follow your posts, as you gave me a serious answer rather then a wise A remark. <hr></blockquote>

i always read spetty's stuff. good thinking.

dealing with anons gets frustrating. generally i'll pass those but sometimes i'll happen into something worthwhile from an anon and wish they would make up some kind of phoneybaloney name so i can read their stuff in the future.

what the heck, while i'm at it, let me share my experience with "real name". i used my real name thru an entire radio on-air career. never used anything but. never gave me trouble. always use my real name on the board. never gave me trouble. none. i get some nice notes.

dan...not hidin nuttin.

10-08-2002, 12:30 PM
Another reason is to avoid your posts being confused with those of another anonymous poster. I ran into this a little bit ago when another anonymous posted something on another thread that I found particularly offensive and then realized someone might assume it came from me despite the fact that I had no identity to distinguish myself. I realize I'm being self contradictory by posting this statement. Oh well! /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif

10-08-2002, 12:47 PM
I think you're right. IMO, many of the people who register here are exhibitionists. They love to be seen, and if you take a hard look at the ones who are everybody's friend, you'll see that they are non-committal posters. If you decide to register, be funny, witty, and agree with people. If you disagree, don't respond. Follow those rules and you'll get nice private messages. But should you decide to speak your mind, especially if your opinion goes against the clan, you will pay in spades and your PM box will never light up.

Good luck.

Fred Agnir
10-08-2002, 01:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> ...if you take a hard look at the ones who are everybody's friend, you'll see that they are non-committal posters. <hr></blockquote>
There must be a proverb or catchy quote in there somewhere.

Fred &lt;~~~ committed

10-08-2002, 08:46 PM
"If you post regularly, it would be a good idea to register so that we can know who you are and where you're coming from."

--------------------------------

And sometimes not having a preconceived notion of where the author is coming from might just knock some fresh sense and perspective in a "clan" lynching (as has happened frequently of late).

"We can learn a lot about the posters if they post regularly - their likes, their dislikes, etc. It helps place the posts into perspective"

Not if the particular author just wishes to "delurk" occasionally and make some pithy, cogent remarks. Her likes and dislikes are neither here nor there.

Yes, the "clan" wishes to counter or nail her back based on the accumulated background that she has revealed thus far, and she chooses not to give you people that "weapon".

Hey, if the anons and lurkers (which probably comprise 95%+ of the readership here) have to put up with the dreary, inane blabberings of the 20 or so emotionally needy regulars here in the course of getting to the good stuff, it is only fair their deliberate distance protects them from the sappy lovefest and censorious bashings that are par for the course in any inbred small village. I dare say in this set-up divesity, fresh blood, and a vibrant exchange is maintained.

--------------------------

Anyway, posting with the same name each time lends some continuity to your posts. You may find yourself still here after years, and it would have been nice to have gotten to know you a little."

Only if one cares!

CarolNYC
10-09-2002, 03:46 AM
Someone once said-
"You shouldnt waste your time worrying what others think of you when you realize how many dont!" (even think of you)
Carol

SPetty
10-09-2002, 05:21 AM
Howdy Anon, (or are you really Anon? or maybe you're Anon?...)

Please don't accuse me of being "clannish". I was simply answering your question about "How is a made up screen name and a phony bio. any different from an anonymous?"

I also was referring to "if you post regularly, while your comments here are talking about delurking and posting occasionally. There's definitely a difference.

Also, since I post under the same name each time, if you were a regular with even a little history, you would know that I am a big proponent of allowing anonymouses to post here. I do not believe anyone should be forced to register in order to post and I believe anonymous postings can add to the board (although they can quite clearly screw it up sometimes, too).

I hope I wasn't part of any "clan" lynching that you refer to, but I'll bet that you (Anon) were!

"Only if one cares!" Here's a warning for you darlin': If you hang around here long enough, you'll start to care even if you started out not caring. You'll get to know the posters - you may find ones you want to skip every time, you will find ones you want to read every time, you'll have a vested interested in the other posters because you will have spent some time getting to know them... If you just lurk occasionally, then of course, that's not a problem...

Pizza Bob
10-09-2002, 07:07 AM
Wally:

I don't think Sorvino ever owned a piece of Amsterdam. As far as I know it is owned by the Hunt brothers and David Brenner. Paul Sorvino has played there, as has Jerry Orbach. I understand they both play pretty sporty.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

10-09-2002, 07:54 AM
Gosh Carol! Now I feel better. :-(

9 Ball Girl
10-09-2002, 08:00 AM
I've been to a couple of celebrity charity events at Amsterdam's and have infact seen Jerry Orbach play. He's not bad at all guys. And he hammed it up for me as I patroled the room with the video camera (he's a nice guy). Also, Bill Sorvino (Paul's brother) is also a pretty good shooter too. There are a couple of Celebs out there that I've seen at these events that are pretty good shooters.

CarolNYC
10-09-2002, 09:41 AM
Im sorry-I was just relating this to actual facts-too many people worry what others think, when in reality, they'd be surprised to know how many do not even give it a second thought!For instance, when my daughter was 2 yrs. old, she had scarlet fever which in turn harmed her hearing,she had to wear hearing aids, the VERY VISIBLE ones-she was scared what the children would think from kindergarten on-I explained they wouldnt think nothing and I was right-they were more curious and after finding out they were there to help her hear, they were kind-but, then the "what goes around,comes around"theory occurred, for 2 of the girls consistently made fun of her and made her cry-well, those two girls take the bus and work at a pizzaria and dry cleaners-my daughter drives a new car and is in her second year at St. Johns University becoming a teacher,majoring in English-and do you know, when she sees them at the busstop, she gives them a ride to work!I believe morals start at the home!
Peace!
Carol

10-09-2002, 11:05 AM
Actually, I knew your intentions were good. You are consistently one of the kindest, most considerate people on this board. It's great that your daughter is doing well but it doesn't suprise me one bit given the kind of parental support that she obviously receives from a person such as yourself.The statement was out of character and I couldn't resist giving you a hard time. :-)

CarolNYC
10-09-2002, 11:26 AM
Well,now you have me eating my words-cause now that I see that little happy face there, I'll be thinking of you!
Stay well!
Carol~hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!:)