PDA

View Full Version : Daulton's Interview at the Open

Drake
10-08-2002, 08:22 AM
Barry and Brady did a great job with this year's Open. The Live PPV Finals was a great start for Pool here in the U.S. I found it a little funny that Daulton brought up that he will be playing in the UPA event during his interview. I kind of got the feeling that the players understand and admire the stand that Charlie, Mika, and Double J took. It turned out to be a mistake on their part... because the Berhmans fulfilled their obligations from last year. Daulton's "UPA Plug" may keep Men's Pool on the road to success. It might take somebody, like Shannon Daulton, to act as mediator between UPA and tournament directors to resolve issues. The UPA still has the potential to turn men's pool into a respectable game. YES, I Know The UPA has made some big mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes..... The big question is....Will they learn from them???

Ross
10-08-2002, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Drake:</font><hr> .... I found it a little funny that Daulton brought up that he will be playing in the UPA event during his interview. I kind of got the feeling that the players understand and admire the stand that Charlie, Mika, and Double J took. It turned out to be a mistake on their part... because the Berhmans fulfilled their obligations from last year. ... <hr></blockquote>

I know a lot of CCB posters are angry at the UPA so the following probably won't be a popular opinion, but here it is anyway.

It appears to me that the UPA, even though their tactics were heavyhanded and their PR abysmal at times, accomplished some of their main goals for the players at this year's Open. While Barry did not meet the UPA deadline, he did end up having the prize money in escrow before the event. Has this been true in previous Opens? He also paid the players money owed from last year, another one of the big issues on the UPA's agenda, and rightly so. I believe the attention focused on these issues by the UPA certainly increased the pressure on Barry to do these things for the players. Would they have occurred if the UPA had never sprung into being and if Charlie hadn't made such a stink? Who knows? In the end it doesn't matter - the important thing is that the Open was done right this year and it is time to move on. And I give Barry major props for coming through, whether or not he needed some prodding from the "evil" UPA.

MikeM
10-08-2002, 11:12 AM
I agree with both Ross and Drake. The Open was a success this year despite and because of the UPA's tactics. Now the test is can the UPA (and Charlie W) move forward and realize that they can have an impact, but strongarm tactics may not be the best way? I hope they realize that their involvement can be positive as long as they work with the promoters and not treat them as the enemy. I think the Behrmans did a super job of handling the situation and meeting their end of the bargain without being bullied around. It could turn out to be a win-win if there is a desire to compromise going forward. JMO.

MM

Rich R.
10-08-2002, 12:09 PM
Mike, I agree that the UPA can be a very successful organization if they learn to work with the promoters. IMHO, the first things they have to do is bury their ego and take a good look at their guidelines for sanctioning an event. Their current list seems to require that the promoter raise all the money and do all the hard work and then hand over control of everything to the UPA. There has to be a little sharing of responsibilities in these areas.
Rich R.

cueball1950
10-08-2002, 09:54 PM
IMHO... i find it hard to think Charlie will play in the OPEN again. He will have to swallow his pride to much. Especially if the rumor we all heard was true. That he showed up in Chesapeake and tried to get players to not play. Anyway i do not think to many fans will come to his tournaments if he insists that they all be single elimination race to 13. I like the double format with the race to 11 and the finals a race to 15. I would like to see the finals a true double. But because of time restraints fo tv and PPV. That would be next to impossible. Just my humble ramblings............................Mike