PDA

View Full Version : On the subject of "Anonymous" posters:

rackmup
10-08-2002, 01:01 PM
There seems to be much heated debate about registered/unregistered users.

The argument for registration is:

CREDIBILITY<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr>what is this board cumin too ROTFLMAO<hr></blockquote>
IDENTITY<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr>so that we can know who you are and where you're coming from.<hr></blockquote>
CONVENIENCE<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr>who won't read this post because of who wrote it, while others will make sure to read it because of who wrote it.<hr></blockquote>
REPUTATION of ANONYMOUS'<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty (again):</font><hr>many regulars who don't read posts by Anon's due to a bad history with them.<hr></blockquote>
CONTINUITY<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr>Anyway, posting with the same name each time lends some continuity to your posts.<hr></blockquote>
FRIENDSHIP<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Yep...her again/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif:</font><hr>You may find yourself still here after years, and it would have been nice to have gotten to know you a little.<hr></blockquote>
KUDOS FROM OTHER POSTERS<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr>always use my real name on the board. never gave me trouble. none. i get some nice notes.<hr></blockquote>
AVOID CONFUSION<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: an anonymous poster:</font><hr>Another reason is to avoid your posts being confused with those of another anonymous poster.<hr></blockquote>
SAFETY IN NUMBERS<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr>...but there are 391 registered users so if there is a problem, I think we can take 'em.<hr></blockquote>
TO MEET MOVIE STARS<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: another anon:</font><hr>I know that one of the semi-regular anons is Lee Majors.<hr></blockquote><blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>Paul Sorvino and David Brenner are part owners of Amsterdam Billiards in NYC.<hr></blockquote>
EDITING CAPABILITIES<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr>You can also go back and edit a post where you made a stupid spelling error<hr></blockquote>
PERSONAL MESSAGE CAPABILITIES<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr>personal messages are a good thing.<hr></blockquote>

The argument in favor of remaining anonymous:

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: anonymous:</font><hr>I don't think there is 10 registered posters using their real names. How is a made up screen name and a phony bio. any different from an anonymous?<hr></blockquote>
AFRAID OF THE UNKNOWN<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: anonymous:</font><hr>Few really want to get too social with strangers from the Internet.<hr></blockquote>
NOT OPEN TO A "TOUCHY-FEELY" RELATIONSHIP<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: anonymous:</font><hr>You choose to share your innermost feelings with anyone willing to listen.<hr></blockquote>
JUNK MAIL FROM THE INTERNET<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: anonymous:</font><hr>Will I be begin getting junk mail<hr></blockquote>
MYSTERY &amp; INTRIGUE<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: anonymous:</font><hr>You never know who is on here.<hr></blockquote>
INHIBITIONS<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: anonymous:</font><hr>many of the people who register here are exhibitionists.<hr></blockquote>

So...what is the "right thing" to do?

Register and become well-respected and have to bear the brunt of those who may disagree with you and respond negatively to your posts and views.

OR:

Remain anonymous and catch grief for that too.

My personal opinion is this:
<ul type="square"> Don't read posts from those registered users that you do not see eye-to-eye with.
Register but use one of the free email services that you will never check and pick a bogus name that doesn't reveal your true identity (just like being anonymous)
Disable the "Personal Message" feature if you don't want them.
Write your posts on MS WORD or NOTEPAD, then "copy &amp; paste" after performing "spellcheck" to ensure there are no errors. Look! "Anonymous" with no grief from Webster's!
[/list]

It seems to me there is room for everyone, known or anonymous.

In the words of Rodney King:

"Honest Officer, I DID NOT slap that woman and that's not my weed! I was just holdin' it for someone."

Regards,

Ken (He also asked: "Can't we all just get along?)

Kato
10-08-2002, 02:41 PM
Paraphrase:

Judge: Mr. Gambini, that is a lucid, well thought out objection.

Mr. Gambini: Thank you judge

Judge: OVERULED!!!!!!

Ken, it's no use. Soon, anon's from all over the globe organized by The Fall Guy and his "Potsie" looking side kick will take over the pool world.

Kato~~~not my real name but my name is easy enough to remember

Rod
10-08-2002, 03:10 PM
Kato, Great movie for humor anyway. Mr Gambini- does the train always come thru at this time? Desk clerk-- no. next morning Mr Gambini-- I thought you said the train didn't come thru at this time. Desk clerk --it doesn't, it was a little late yesterday. or something similar

Wally_in_Cincy
10-09-2002, 06:50 AM
and just how long does it take to cook a grit? /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

10-09-2002, 07:43 AM
A grit takes as long to cook, as it takes to cook a grit.

PQQLK9
10-09-2002, 09:44 AM
"your honor the two younts....."
Mr. Gambini..."what's a yount" /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

10-09-2002, 11:11 AM
OR, you post from your computer at work when you obviously shouldn't be wasting company time and money reading and posting on this board. I'd rather not blatantly broadcast that fact by posting my name and email.

Kato
10-09-2002, 11:27 AM
Sorry boss, I'll try to remember that.

Kato~~~wondering if his boss cares all that much.